Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 16 2012, 11:40 PM   #151
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
That's %70 of the people who go to movies who think that women should make dinner in the bedroom.
I wonder if there's some way to incorporate that into the film. Perhaps Circe attacks Wonder Woman while she's sitting in bed, eating a sandwich, and watching TV?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 05:59 AM   #152
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Aeronef wrote: View Post
I think this is actually a significant problem. But I also think it can be solved by paying careful attention to the male supporting roles.
Or simply not targeting the film at viewers like Gaith.
I know there's been a lot of back-and-forth in this thread, but I've said several times I'd be perfectly happy to see a WW movie if they reviews were good enough; I just agree with Guy that it could be a tougher sell for others.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:28 AM   #153
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Only because most people suck.

And most of the people who don't suck are tired from work, raising children or both to bother going to the movies.

In a perfect world, this would be an easy project to sell.

However...

Avengers made a billion dollars in how many weeks?

So all my theories are out of whack.

Although.

I took my ten year old niece and 11 year old nephew, so that taps the children's market.

Which means the parents found a way to make their kids shut up for three hours.

Worth it's weight in gold.

Although...

I had to leave the theatre at the one hour mark because they were thirsty, and then I had to take one of them to the toilet at the two hour mark, which means that I needed to see the damn thing again myself with out the four foot company who stole 16 minutes from me.

In what imaginable world is Wonder Woman simultaneously child-friendly and adult-friendly?

It's really hard to find the fulcrum between these two with a rampaging politician murderer in a bikini crowing about girl power.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:24 AM   #154
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Jean Claude Van Damn shouldn't have been allowed to make movies.

I know I'm not normal because I don't stress over American Idol ballots.

What is NASScar?

Generalities are what decide media popularity by backing up (or not backing up) their opinion with dollars.

Who is the most powerful demographic in America if it isn't assholes?
True, reality really doesn't have any vulnerability to our wishes or plans.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:26 AM   #155
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Only because most people suck.

And most of the people who don't suck are tired from work, raising children or both to bother going to the movies.

In a perfect world, this would be an easy project to sell.

However...

Avengers made a billion dollars in how many weeks?

So all my theories are out of whack.

Although.

I took my ten year old niece and 11 year old nephew, so that taps the children's market.

Which means the parents found a way to make their kids shut up for three hours.

Worth it's weight in gold.

Although...

I had to leave the theatre at the one hour mark because they were thirsty, and then I had to take one of them to the toilet at the two hour mark, which means that I needed to see the damn thing again myself with out the four foot company who stole 16 minutes from me.

In what imaginable world is Wonder Woman simultaneously child-friendly and adult-friendly?

It's really hard to find the fulcrum between these two with a rampaging politician murderer in a bikini crowing about girl power.
Bugs Bunny did it for years.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 02:24 PM   #156
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
That's %70 of the people who go to movies who think that women should make dinner in the bedroom.
I wonder if there's some way to incorporate that into the film. Perhaps Circe attacks Wonder Woman while she's sitting in bed, eating a sandwich, and watching TV?
Only if they end up rolling around the bed in babydolls.

That scene would be all the advertising the movie would need.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 03:18 PM   #157
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I know there's been a lot of back-and-forth in this thread, but I've said several times I'd be perfectly happy to see a WW movie if they reviews were good enough;
I don't think a Wonder Woman movie needs to take into consideration audiences which cannot identify with her because she's a woman. You may still see it because you hear it's good, and you may be won over by it, but it shouldn't - and I don't think it would need to - court viewers who feel that way.
Old December 17 2012, 03:19 PM   #158
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Only if they end up rolling around the bed in babydolls.

That scene would be all the advertising the movie would need.
But that would be terrible advertising for children and (straight) women.

Old December 17 2012, 03:26 PM   #159
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Bruce Timm's team did a damn fine job of it.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:42 AM   #160
Gaith
Rear Admiral

A fan-made WW trailer - technically polished, yet generically "gritty" and pretty well devoid of wit:

https://vimeo.com/60594348#at=0

... Yeeeeaaahhh. Doesn't exactly make my inner studio exec start writing a $100m check...
Old February 28 2013, 04:27 AM   #161
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I liked it!
It's fan made. I'm a fan of comics and their characters and I certainly can't make anything close to that. I'm impressed and there's no reason to use this (or not to) as a reason to avoid making a movie.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:48 PM   #162
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I did not find it all that entertaining. Far to choppy even for some type of trailer. The actress cast as WW just didnt feel right for the part. So, we keep waiting and watching and waiting.
Icemizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 10:49 PM   #163
mos6507
Captain

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I did not find it all that entertaining. Far to choppy even for some type of trailer. The actress cast as WW just didnt feel right for the part. So, we keep waiting and watching and waiting.
Too many people think if you get the look right, the production values right, that it equates to quality. There's also the aspect of tone. WW is an icon and people have strong opinions about her and what qualities she should embody. She's kind of the female version of Superman, after all. IMHO, she is NOT supposed to be a Rambo as presented in that trailer.
Old February 28 2013, 11:35 PM   #164
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^/^^ Yeah, I'd rather watch a real scene from an imaginary movie than fragments of imaginary scenes from an imaginary movie.
Old February 28 2013, 11:44 PM   #165
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Rambo? She's starting her speeches about peaceful integration of the sexes as equals when Joey Mengele decides that he wants to scoop out all the eggs from her ovaries and create a real master race of Supermen.

Have you seem the German movie Anatomy about antithypocratic Doctors who believe in experimentation on a few is beneficial to the greater good. In the opening credits you have this lady waking up half way through surgery where she reaches out with her hand to stop the Doctors only to "notice" that 3/4's of the skin and muscle that made up her palm and fingers has been removed.

Although maybe artificial insemination was beyond the Nazis?

But tying first Diana and then all the Amazons to a wall until they are pregnant from the line of approved SS Officers going around the block isn't.

In the 70s TV show, the Nazis invaded Paradise Island to get the Femozonium Mine so they could build super bullet proof tanks out of the stuff Diana's bracelets are made from.

Hitler liked science, but he loved religion.

Wonder Woman has met Zeus which is proof that Jesus is bullshit.

He'd destroy that Island completely to save Christianity from being smudged by controverting facts.