RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 721
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 15 2012, 04:14 AM   #136
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Streaky the Wonder Cat, actually hung out with Supergirl.
Supercat.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 05:56 AM   #137
Kelthaz
Commodore

Aeronef wrote: View Post
Lots of stuff.
So essentially you want a Ron Stoppable sidekick type guy to serve as the viewpoint for the audience? Someone that the audience can relate to because clearly the idea of connecting with a woman is just crazy? A man who is actually the true hero of the story who saves Wonder Women during the climatic battle? Really, now? That's what you want?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 10:40 AM   #138
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hey! Don't go knocking Ron!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 03:45 PM   #139
Aeronef
Lieutenant Commander

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Lots of stuff.
So essentially you want a Ron Stoppable sidekick type guy to serve as the viewpoint for the audience? Someone that the audience can relate to because clearly the idea of connecting with a woman is just crazy? A man who is actually the true hero of the story who saves Wonder Women during the climatic battle? Really, now? That's what you want?
Where did I say that's what I wanted?

Please highlight the exact passages in my post that indicated this was what I, personally, wanted.

Oh, wait--that's right: there are no such passages. You invented this misinterpretation out of thin air. Got it.

Now, I know you don't really care about my opinion--if you did, you would have made a greater effort to understand what that opinion was. (And you wouldn't have simply dismissed it as "lots of stuff") But for what it's worth, you've just made a complete fool out of yourself in my eyes.

And, instead of just heaping my scorn on you, the way you did to me, I'm actually going to answer your questions.

Until I read your post, I didn't give two fucks about Wonder Woman, or if a Wonder Woman movie ever got made, or not. Whether they made the movie I described, or some other movie, or no movie at all, was all the same to me. I was merely trying to think of a way to get past the sort of reluctance that the other poster was describing.

It was all the same to me--until I read your post. I've recently been reading a work of eighteenth-century philosophy with one of our graduate students--De L'Esprit by Claude-Adrien Helvetius--and I was struck by a section in which he argues that it's impossible for people to remain indifferent to things for long. Unless they discover a reason to like them, their indifference will quickly turn to hostility. That seems quite true to me.

In this case--I was indifferent to the prospect of a Wonder Woman movie. Now, I'm not.

Instead, I find myself hoping it never gets made--or, if it is, that it's made exactly the way I described--just to spite you.

So, in answer to your questions:

--yes, that is what I want now;

--yes, really;

--yes, that's what I want, for the reasons I outlined above.
Old December 15 2012, 03:53 PM   #140
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Lots of stuff.

Please highlight the exact passages in my post that indicated this was what I, personally, wanted.

Oh, wait--that's right: there are no such passages. You invented this misinterpretation out of thin air. Got it.

Now, I know you don't really care about my opinion--if you did, you would have made a greater effort to understand what that opinion was. (And you wouldn't have simply dismissed it as "lots of stuff") But for what it's worth, you've just made a complete fool out of yourself in my eyes.

And, instead of just heaping my scorn on you, the way you did to me, I'm actually going to answer your questions.

Until I read your post, I didn't give two fucks about Wonder Woman, or if a Wonder Woman movie ever got made, or not. Whether they made the movie I described, or some other movie, or no movie at all, was all the same to me. I was merely trying to think of a way to get past the sort of reluctance that the other poster was describing.

It was all the same to me--until I read your post. I've recently been reading a work of eighteenth-century philosophy with one of our graduate students--De L'Esprit by Claude-Adrien Helvetius--and I was struck by a section in which he argues that it's impossible for people to remain indifferent to things for long. Unless they discover a reason to like them, their indifference will quickly turn to hostility. That seems quite true to me.

In this case--I was indifferent to the prospect of a Wonder Woman movie. Now, I'm not.

Instead, I find myself hoping it never gets made--or, if it is, that it's made exactly the way I described--just to spite you.

So, in answer to your questions:

--yes, really;

Lol. Internet rage is a funny thing. I guess from your lips to Gos ears...
Old December 15 2012, 04:02 PM   #141
Aeronef
Lieutenant Commander

That wasn't "rage". That was annoyance.
Old December 15 2012, 05:47 PM   #142
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

You have an interesting measuring stick then. Carry on.
Old December 15 2012, 11:24 PM   #143
JD
Admiral

I would have no interest in the version of the movie described in the post at the end of the last page. Personally, I'd rather get a male lead who Diana is equal too. Someone who gets in on the action, and plays an active role in the plot, but doesn't necessarily steal the spotlight away from her.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 12:04 AM   #144
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
You have an interesting measuring stick then. Carry on.
That sounds so dirty, like half time feedback during coitus.

Old December 16 2012, 01:11 AM   #145
Kelthaz
Commodore

Okay.

--yes, really;

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 02:05 AM   #146
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I can't really relate to men or women doing that, as those aren't exactly traits/skills of mine. But while seeing male characters doing so can serve as wish fulfillment/projection fantasies for me personally, female characters can't.
I think this is actually a significant problem. But I also think it can be solved by paying careful attention to the male supporting roles.
Or simply not targeting the film at viewers like Gaith. If box office numbers should have taught us anything by now it's that you can make a profitable film involving wish fulfilment fantasties that cater to women.
Old December 16 2012, 10:02 AM   #147
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
I can't really relate to men or women doing that, as those aren't exactly traits/skills of mine. But while seeing male characters doing so can serve as wish fulfillment/projection fantasies for me personally, female characters can't.
I think this is actually a significant problem. But I also think it can be solved by paying careful attention to the male supporting roles.
Or simply not targeting the film at viewers like Gaith. If box office numbers should have taught us anything by now it's that you can make a profitable film involving wish fulfilment fantasties that cater to women.
I don't think the audience who can't find believable women who are heroic is one to be over concerned with.
Old December 16 2012, 09:44 PM   #148
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Rednecks, the super religious and assholes.

That's %70 of the people who go to movies who think that women should make dinner in the bedroom.

The only way that (non kiddy cgi) movies other than the Fast and the Furious make money is when fetish filmhead fanatics by the thousands, see the same movie at least 10 times over at full price.

Old December 16 2012, 11:07 PM   #149
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Rednecks, the super religious and assholes.
Not to generalize, or anything...
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 11:22 PM   #150
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Jean Claude Van Damn shouldn't have been allowed to make movies.

I know I'm not normal because I don't stress over American Idol ballots.

What is NASScar?

Generalities are what decide media popularity by backing up (or not backing up) their opinion with dollars.

Who is the most powerful demographic in America if it isn't assholes?