Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 14 2012, 05:59 PM   #4981
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Great trailer. I like the tone. It doesn't look like the formulaic superhero movies we've been getting over the last decade. Sure, a lot of them were fun, but I'd prefer a fresher approach and so far, what I'm seeing here delivers.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:15 PM   #4982
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Looks good...very good in fact. I love the music they used.
Yeah, Elisabeth - The Golden Age had fantastic music (that's what we hear in the epic portion of that trailer)
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:46 PM   #4983
DrunkUncle
Ensign

Did anyone watched Take Shelter with Michael Shannon? Something seemed familiar when I watched the MoS trailer again.

DrunkUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 03:49 AM   #4984
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Kai "the christmas spirit" wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Kai "the christmas spirit" wrote: View Post
Chest hair sticking out of neck line. Oops.
And... Superman can't have chest hair?
Of course, he can. But I don't think it's supposed to stick out. He's not Austin Powers, you know.
No... But he is a person wearing a fairly low cut neck line. Hell, look at the necklines of the S1/S2 uniforms of the TNG cast. Especially in the BD you can see chest hairs peaking out. Heck I've got chest hairs peaking out from a simple white undershirt.
Old December 15 2012, 03:58 AM   #4985
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Oh, for heaven's sake, let's not make a debate out of this, shall we?! It was a detail that caught my eye and I thought it was kinda funny, something you don't expect. There's nothing more to it.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 07:34 AM   #4986
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have an interesting comment to make about the trailer. Its tone content reminds me of Superman Returns. Now depending on your opinion of that film, that is either a good or bad thing. The biggest complaint about that movie was it had so little action and was more of a character film. Based on this trailer alone it feels very similar. Even in the lighting and cinematography. It looks more like a Bryan Singer film, not just SR but his others, than anything Zack Snyder has ever done.
Dick Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 05:16 PM   #4987
Gojira
Commodore

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I have an interesting comment to make about the trailer. Its tone content reminds me of Superman Returns. Now depending on your opinion of that film, that is either a good or bad thing. The biggest complaint about that movie was it had so little action and was more of a character film. Based on this trailer alone it feels very similar. Even in the lighting and cinematography. It looks more like a Bryan Singer film, not just SR but his others, than anything Zack Snyder has ever done.
Despite its flaws I actually enjoy SR. I do not think this movie will have the same tone. I think it will have a more realistic look than SR.

While SR did have a more serious tone than the Donner films, I think this movie will be more grounded in a real world look.
Old December 19 2012, 10:29 PM   #4988
Worf2DS9
Writer

The trailer is even more amazing on the big screen! (It was one of the trailers before The Hobbit.)
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 12:33 AM   #4989
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I think Man of Steel is going to have a lot more action than Superman Returns. I don't think WB would allow for another movie like Returns especially how it under-performed to their expectations.

When Alan Horn (the then president of WB) talked about the performance of that movie at the time, he mentioned it needed more action. I think that's what they perceive as the biggest flaw of the movie. So I'm sure Man of Steel is going to have a lot more action to cater to that demographic expecting grandiose action in a summer blockbuster. Besides, I doubt Zack Snyder would make a movie that didn't have at least some stunning visual/action sequences! Haha.

To be honest, while the tone of Man of Steel is reminiscent of Superman Returns, I don't think they look visually at all alike. Returns had this 1930's, art deco, vintage kind of look and feel about it, with dark, muted colors. While Man of Steel definitely has some of that look, I think it feels and looks more like a Terrence Malick film than a Bryan Singer film. That's just my opinion, of course. I can see where people find similarities, but I think Man of Steel has a much more natural and organic look about it when it comes to the cinematography and the visual look of things, whereas Returns was much more polished and refined, if that makes any sense.
Old December 20 2012, 02:53 AM   #4990
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I never thought I'd say this, but I think I actually like Snyder's more naturalistic approach better. It fits better with the "Superman in the real world" idea versus the more stylish, comic booky world of Singer's movie.

Of course it's still to be seen whether the final product will be any better. Despite it's storytelling faults, SR is still directed really damn well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:16 AM   #4991
Fearless
Commodore

This movie is gonna be awesome! Amy Adams as Lois is a plus!
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 09:21 PM   #4992
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
To be honest, while the tone of Man of Steel is reminiscent of Superman Returns, I don't think they look visually at all alike. Returns had this 1930's, art deco, vintage kind of look and feel about it, with dark, muted colors. While Man of Steel definitely has some of that look, I think it feels and looks more like a Terrence Malick film than a Bryan Singer film.
That's my take too. I think all the two have in common, at least judging by the trailers, is a sombre tone (and of course, the fact that they both feature Supes). But trailers can be misleading anyway and MOS is likely to take a very different approach from SR. Visually, I don't think they have much in common.
Old January 15 2013, 04:09 AM   #4993
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

This statue gives us a clean look at the costume. There is indeed yellow in the shield... at least in the statue. It might not appear for every shot.

I think that the cape is too long.

Link
Old January 15 2013, 04:15 AM   #4994
sojourner
Admiral

Makes him look like he has tiny little legs.
Old January 15 2013, 06:28 PM   #4995
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I still don't like the texture. Other than that it's pretty good.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote