Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 14 2012, 04:19 PM   #1471
Christopher
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Markonian wrote: View Post
But I was already annoyed by a ground battle description. So, there are only male security officers. No women, no aliens. On the 23rd century Starfleet flagship.
That's consistent with what we always saw in TOS. We never saw a female security guard, or an alien Enterprise crewmember other than Spock, until the animated series. First Strike is set in the early second season, after "Friday's Child."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 05:04 PM   #1472
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But I was already annoyed by a ground battle description. So, there are only male security officers. No women, no aliens. On the 23rd century Starfleet flagship.
That's consistent with what we always saw in TOS. We never saw a female security guard, or an alien Enterprise crewmember other than Spock, until the animated series. First Strike is set in the early second season, after "Friday's Child."
I admit that I cheated and added a female security officer to my next TOS book, but, yeah, Spock is clearly the only "alien" officer aboard the Enterprise in in the original series, given the way his Vulcan nature seems to be a constant source of interest and curiosity from the rest of the crew. One gets the distinct impression that Spock is regarded as something of a novelty by the otherwise human crew of the Enterprise.

That being said, I suppose it would be possible to have an alien Starfleet officer or diplomat be temporarily assigned to the Enterprise for the length of one book . . .
Old December 14 2012, 05:08 PM   #1473
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Restarting Vanguard for a full read-through - probably the best Trek novels in the last 10 years.
Old December 14 2012, 05:26 PM   #1474
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I admit that I cheated and added a female security officer to my next TOS book, but, yeah, Spock is clearly the only "alien" officer aboard the Enterprise in in the original series, given the way his Vulcan nature seems to be a constant source of interest and curiosity from the rest of the crew. One gets the distinct impression that Spock is regarded as something of a novelty by the otherwise human crew of the Enterprise.
On the other hand, various novels over the years have given the Enterprise more alien crew during the TOS era -- the most recent one I can think of being A Choice of Catastrophes, IIRC.

Old December 14 2012, 05:45 PM   #1475
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

On the other hand, various novels over the years have given the Enterprise more alien crew during the TOS era -- the most recent one I can think of being A Choice of Catastrophes, IIRC.
True. I guess it just depends on how flexible you wanna be when it comes to adhering to the letter of the original eps, as opposed to taking advantage of the unlimited makeup budget of the novels!
Old December 14 2012, 06:25 PM   #1476
Markonian
Captain

True. I guess it just depends on how flexible you wanna be when it comes to adhering to the letter of the original eps, as opposed to taking advantage of the unlimited makeup budget of the novels!
Indeed. And with a ship that visits starbases every few months I don't see a reason why there can't be regular fluctuation among the crew. The First Adventure had some Caitians among the crew, for example.

However, Memory Beta explains the Human-only ship that each of the four founding species was given a Constiution-class vessel, e.g. the Intrepid for the Vulcans and the Eagle for the Andorians.
Old December 14 2012, 08:33 PM   #1477
Reanok
Commodore

That being said, I suppose it would be possible to have an alien Starfleet officer or diplomat be temporarily assigned to the Enterprise for the length of one book . . .
That's sounds really neat your going to have a female security officer on board the Enterprise.I'.ve been reading the older novels and they had Ingrid Tompson as the security chief featured in several of the older Startrek books.I definitely will be buying this book.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:18 PM   #1478
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Reanok wrote: View Post

That's sounds really neat your going to have a female security officer on board the Enterprise.I'.ve been reading the older novels and they had Ingrid Tompson as the security chief featured in several of the older Startrek books.I definitely will be buying this book.
Great! My new security officer actually has big part in the book. She's not just a random redshirt.
Old December 14 2012, 11:52 PM   #1479
Christopher
Writer

Somebody needs to bring back Anne Nored. After all, we don't know how long she served on the ship before "The Survivor," or after it.

Old December 15 2012, 03:02 AM   #1480
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Having finished Vanity Fair (and you can read my thoughts on it here) I've moved into Middle-earth mode by listening to the Complete Recordings of Howard Shore's score for The Lord of The Rings -- accompanied by Doug Adams' analysis and commentary in the book The Music of 'The Lord of The Rings' Films.
Old December 16 2012, 03:03 AM   #1481
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Decided to throw in a Doctor Who novel just because it's a quick read. And it's Christmas-themed...kind of.
Old December 17 2012, 01:21 AM   #1482
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just published my review of Star Trek: Errand of Vengeance, Book II: Killing Blow by Kevin Ryan.

Just finished reading The Calling by David Mack and Star Trek #36: How Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford.

Now working on finishing up Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.
Trek Lit Reviews (Seekers #2: Point of Divergence by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore - September 16th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 06:55 AM   #1483
JD
Admiral

I started Substitution Method, the first tie-in novel for Eureka. I'm about 2 chapters into it, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I've been looking forward to reading this and getting a new Eureka story since the series ended.
Old December 17 2012, 01:58 PM   #1484
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Reading an older book by L.H. Whittemore: COP! It is very interesting to read about day to day actions of cops in the late 1960's.
Old December 17 2012, 03:54 PM   #1485
bbailey861
Admiral

"John Wayne: The Legend and the Man". This is a great book filled with hundreds and hundreds of previously unseen Wayne and studio family photos. If you are a Duke fan, I can't recommend this one enough. (Nope, I'm not shilling this - not getting a dime - it's just a great photo book).
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote