Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 13 2012, 11:05 PM   #106
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Renegades

Linnear wrote: View Post
The Star Trek: Renegades facebook page was taken down because of a complaint filed with Facebook by CBS. Apparently they "Stepped over the line" according to my source.
It's coming up just fine for me.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...ref=ts&fref=ts

Last edited by GSchnitzer; January 20 2013 at 06:19 PM.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 11:33 PM   #107
Harvey
Admiral

Works for me, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 11:50 PM   #108
USS Intrepid
Commodore

That's a Facebook profile, not the Facebook page in question. There's a even a post on there about the actual Facebook page being taken down, though it attributes it to Facebook policy.
Old December 14 2012, 12:42 AM   #109
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
That's a Facebook profile, not the Facebook page in question. There's a even a post on there about the actual Facebook page being taken down, though it attributes it to Facebook policy.
Thanks. I guess "the Star Trek: Renegades facebook page" wasn't specific enough for me to figure it out.

There's even a thread on the page I linked about how "Facebook" took down their film page. I'm betting any comments about how Paramount was behind that would be quickly deleted.
Old December 14 2012, 02:22 AM   #110
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

It isn't Paramount, but CBS who handles these things.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:48 AM   #111
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Linnear wrote: View Post
It isn't Paramount, but CBS who handles these things.
Yeah, meant to say CBS. Old guy slip.

In any case, it's interesting that they're claiming that "Facebook" took down their page and the comments on the profile page are all anti-Facebook.
Old December 14 2012, 04:38 PM   #112
Tom
Rear Admiral

Facebook did take the that page down but our other account remains active.

Last edited by Tom; December 14 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 05:58 PM   #113
Captain Atkin
Commander

Tom wrote: View Post
Facebook did take the that page down but our other account remains active.
It wouldn't surprise me if CBS (or even Paramount, who are busy promoting their movie) did ask Facebook to shut it down. They probably wouldn't have to send a C&D to do it either. Case in point: for 4 years, I helped run a Facebook fan page for the 1987 "Masters of the Universe" movie. We posted tons of stuff from the movie, from pictures to interviews, and never got any flack for it. In October of 2012, the same week that the MOTU Blu-ray was relased, our fanpage got shut down. No reason was ever given to us, but Warner Brothers did put up a MOTU 87 Facebook page to promote their movie. Our guess was that someone at Warners asked for our fan page to be taken down, so that they wouldn't have a fan page competing with their $$$ page $$$. (which was kind of silly, cause we would have promoted the hell out of the Blu-ray for free).

Fan films that have "Star Trek" in the title and have Facebook pages could be seen as competiton to people who work on 'official' Star Trek, in the sense that it could divert peoples attention to what it is that the studio is trying to promote. If they are trying to promote a multi-million dollar movie, they proably don't want people surfing through various Star Trek groups to find their film page.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; December 14 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:10 PM   #114
Tom
Rear Admiral

We have received nothing from Facebook as to why it was taken down. Until there is some clarification on that, everything remains speculation. Our other Facebook page is still there, perhaps they thought it was duplicated, we don't really know.
Old December 18 2012, 03:48 AM   #115
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

Speculation...except for those folks in conversations with CBS themselves of course...
Old December 19 2012, 02:30 PM   #116
lurok
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
On topic: I had huge issues with Of Gods and Men, mostly with story but also some with the production itself. I will say though I give the production props for getting finished as that must have been quite the herculean task, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Renegades.
Like . In the absence of any TV trek (and long gaps between movies), I'm grateful that anyone is willing to continue legacy. And I've seen far worse TV and movies I've paid for than OGAM
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 03:05 PM   #117
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Of Gods and Men was a sweet little epilogue to classic Trek, IMO. A far, *far* better send off than Enterprise's finale, "These are the Voyages"
Old December 19 2012, 04:08 PM   #118
Tom
Rear Admiral

That's what it was designed to be, an anniversary film packed with fun things from TOS.
Old December 20 2012, 10:14 PM   #119
Tom
Rear Admiral

Grant Imahara will take a break from inventing cool robotics and blowing up stuff to join the cast of Renegades!

Grant is one of the hosts of Discovery Channel's Mythbusters. Before that, he spent nine years as an animatronics engineer and model maker for George Lucas's Industrial Light and Magic. Grant worked on many blockbusters including The Matrix sequels, Galaxy Quest, Terminator 3, and Star Wars: Episodes 1-3 (although he is NOT responsible for Jar Jar). He put the lights in R2-D2's dome and gave the Energizer Bunny his beat. He also created the often rude and irreverent robot skeleton sidekick for late night talk show host Craig Ferguson.

Grant will play an aide to Admiral Chekov.

Last edited by GSchnitzer; January 20 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:27 AM   #120
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

So it has been independently confirmed that it was NOT CBS that took down Star Trek: Renegades web page. Still not sure who did but this makes it even more concerning that a non-rights holder could instigate something like this!

I hope it gets resolved. And good news on Grant!

Alec
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote