Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 4 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
New Series ??

I've been watching fringe a lot lately just at the end of series 4 and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.... So it got me thinking could the writing team including JJ make a really good Star Trek series.

I know we've got the franchise going again but fringe the series is really really good !!! And a Star Trek series done by them could be really good as well .? Well thoughts anyone ???
Old November 4 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: New Series ??

Moving this to "Future of Trek".
Old November 4 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Personally, I think it's more likely we'll get an animated series aimed at a younger audience (say, the current G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Spider-man cartoon crowd) than a live-action one aimed at older folks. But even if there is another live-action series after Star Trek XIII, I think Abrams will move on from Trek by the end of this decade and someone else will take over. It could be Abrams' partner Bob Orci or someone we're unfamiliar with, but has strong producing credentials.
Old November 5 2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Main problem: space opera costs $$$$, the audience is inherently limited. Hard to overcome that math. Also, CBS has no obvious reason to push for Star Trek on TV.

Solutions:

-Animated series on the Cartoon Network a la The Clone Wars, which no doubt the new owners will move over to DisneyXD, so hey, Cartoon Network will need a replacement, right?

-Reduce the SFX related costs while somehow not losing the Trek-ness of it all. Would a Gary Seven series be appealing? How about a series set in the future that takes place only or mainly on a single alien world?

-The next movie is a huge success and someone, most likely Bob Orci, makes a concerted effort to leverage that success into a convincing pitch to CBS, which decides against all their ingrained corporate habits to take a risk for a change.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Personally, I think it's more likely we'll get an animated series aimed at a younger audience (say, the current G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Spider-man cartoon crowd) than a live-action one aimed at older folks. But even if there is another live-action series after Star Trek XIII, I think Abrams will move on from Trek by the end of this decade and someone else will take over. It could be Abrams' partner Bob Orci or someone we're unfamiliar with, but has strong producing credentials.
Agree. Animated television series and continue making live-action motion pictures.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Dukhat
Commodore

You know, when someone posts a thread title like "New Series?" usually it contains info about a possible new series, not just the OP going "I'd like there to be a new series."

Just sayin'.
Old November 5 2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah stop getting our hopes up.
Old November 5 2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Sorry guys my thread should of said can JJ and his writing team make a new series for tv ??? Sorry for getting you all excited !!!!
Old November 5 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

We're an excitable bunch.
Old December 3 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
RisingEmber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RisingEmber

I read an article that said that Michael Dorn is in the works of trying to get a spin-off for Worf's character. I personally would LOVE to see that. I loved seeing him as the stoic Klingon.
RisingEmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Dukhat
Commodore

RisingEmber wrote: View Post
I read an article that said that Michael Dorn is in the works of trying to get a spin-off for Worf's character. I personally would LOVE to see that. I loved seeing him as the stoic Klingon.
Yes, there have been several posts about this. In a nutshell, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
Old December 8 2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Melakon
Vice Admiral

A Star Trek: Worf! series has about as much chance as Star Trek: Captain Sulu! of being a major motion picture starring George Takei.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
RisingEmber wrote: View Post
Yes, there have been several posts about this. In a nutshell, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
Yeah, poster above me beat me to it, but I remember Takei wandering around the convention circuit in the early-mid 90s trying to get an Excelsior series made and that didn't really fly.

I'd like to see a new series, but I want it to be a really compelling series and not just a generic Trek focus groupped to "perfection". I want more interesting characters than we were seeing out of VOY and ENT and I want Trek to tackle tough social issues again.
Old December 14 2012, 02:32 PM   #14
shadowmonitor
Cadet

View shadowmonitor's Twitter Profile

Or the Producers of a new Trek series could take the same stance that the BSG producers did and not focus so much on the "Space Opera" and make it about the interaction amongst the crew.
A ST: Worf series would last about a season if it even got green lighted. There is only so much scowling and stoicism you can put on TV. Think about it, you ever heard of a Klingon Diplomate? Anyway, it stands about the same chance as a TNG reboot.
shadowmonitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
I've been watching fringe a lot lately just at the end of series 4 and I'm really enjoying it at the moment.... So it got me thinking could the writing team including JJ make a really good Star Trek series.

I know we've got the franchise going again but fringe the series is really really good !!! And a Star Trek series done by them could be really good as well .? Well thoughts anyone ???
I had the same thought while watching Fringe. It's extremely well produced, I'd love to see a Trek series in that same style. It wouldn't even have to be in space all the time, if it's too expansive.