RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 415
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 14 2012, 12:03 AM   #736
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post
She didn't perform to any music that we could find. No pre-records turned up. As I said, the music was recorded at the Charlie X session, which obviously was done after the episode was shot.

Neil
I've been wondering about...

(taken from the LALA Land track listing, btw - don't know if it is that way in the booklet as I haven't opened my set yet)

"SEASON 1, DISC 3
Charlie X
Music Composed and Conducted by Fred Steiner
Episode #8, Recorded 8/29/66
Aired #2, 8/15/66"

Does anything look out of place with the dates?

Charlie X was shot in mid July 1966 - the final script is dated 7/5/66 -- so something seems a bit off with these dates. The episode actually aired 9/15/66... so the question is when was the music really recorded?
Yes, the air date is a typo that was discovered too late in the process. Those responsible have been sacked.

Neil
Old December 14 2012, 12:05 AM   #737
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Old December 14 2012, 01:33 AM   #738
Christopher
Writer

Done with "Amok Time" and "Doomsday Machine." Not many revelations since I know these two so well from the GNP disc, but there were some nice extra bits, and I noticed some details here and there that I never caught before. I wonder, is that just because these are better reproductions, or is it possible that the GNP version used different takes of some of the cues?

I was wondering about the cue that GNP called "Vulcan Fanfare" on its "Amok Time" release, and why I couldn't find it listed anywhere on the season 2 set. Turns out it was the first part of the track called "Log," IIRC.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 02:37 AM   #739
Esteban
Commander

So many of my questions have been answered. For example, the "Lonely to Dramatic" library cue from Mullendore...first appearance in Miri, a tracked episode. Now I know it was from Library.

Can anyone find the cue used in "Bread and Circuses" during the tag? "Caesar and Christ, they had them both". It sure sounds like Dunning but I can't find the original.

Tks!
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 02:41 AM   #740
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Done with "Amok Time" and "Doomsday Machine." Not many revelations since I know these two so well from the GNP disc, but there were some nice extra bits, and I noticed some details here and there that I never caught before. I wonder, is that just because these are better reproductions, or is it possible that the GNP version used different takes of some of the cues?
It's possible they used some different takes. I seem to recall comparing a few Amok Time takes at Lukas's urging.

Neil
Old December 14 2012, 06:18 AM   #741
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

So i got my set in the mail today and the final disk (15) wasn't included for me, i just shot them an email letting them know, has anybody else run into this?
Old December 14 2012, 06:42 AM   #742
Harvey
Admiral

La-La Land has terrific customer service; I'm sure they'll take care of the issue before you know it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 07:18 AM   #743
gottacook
Commander

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Were the "Squire of Gothos" cues really played on a harpsichord, or was it the Hammond organ faking a harpsichord? Can Hammond organs do that? Because the tone quality of that instrument was not very pleasant to my ear, and I'm wondering if it's because it was a substitute for the real thing, or because the real thing genuinely sounds like that.
I don't know what was done in this performance, but the harpsichord is famously kind of harsh and dry. There's a reason we listen to the Well Tempered Clavier mainly on piano, now.
Hey, speak for yourself. For nearly 200 years after the introduction of the piano, it was simply assumed that if the Baroque composers had had access to pianos they would have naturally preferred them. Only in the mid-20th century did the harpsichord revival occur - that is, only then did successful recreations of original harpsichords (many of which were not only in sad condition but had been modified over the years) begin to appear, together with an appreciation of what they could offer that playing the same music on piano could not.

I could go into many specifics (I have a master's degree in harpsichord performance) but my main point is that even today there are radio stations that will only play piano recordings of baroque keyboard solo music - where I live, it's nearly always Andras Schiff or Murray Perahia with one of the Bach suites or partitas or the Italian Concerto - and although these guys are good players, it is simply not true that piano is the superior instrument for music not written for it, and I hate that there are radio stations still stuck in the attitudes that prevailed before 1950 or so in this regard.

As for the instrument heard in "The Squire of Gothos," it has an unusually brittle sound that I associate with the German 20th-century "factory" harpsichords such as Wittmayer, which generally use pedals to change registration; these are very heavily built and don't sound much like instruments based on authentic ones of the era. It's more likely that recording studios in L.A. in the 1960s had one of these than a proper one by Hubbard or Dowd, who remain among the best-known U.S. makers. I don't think a Hammond organ was used.

[I myself, having children in the house, own a Roland C80-AK that emulates quite well several different harpsichord registrations and provides proper touch (a good sense of where the "ictus" is) and key width; also it's relatively portable and doesn't go out of tune, and offers all manner of non-equal temperament tunings at the touch of a button.]
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 08:19 AM   #744
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

DonIago wrote: View Post
Aw man, I got home to a CD-box sized package, but it was just a gift I ordered for a friend.
Oh man, that had to suck. Hopefully it'll show up soon.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 01:50 PM   #745
Malformed
Lieutenant

Just wanted to say I understand you T'Grinch. It's been a tough few years for many people and relative to that this box set is a bit of a luxury item (one that I saved my quarters for though – forget pennies!).

Your fellow Pittsburgher
Malformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:44 PM   #746
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

gottacook wrote: View Post
Hey, speak for yourself. ... I have a master's degree in harpsichord performance...
I stand corrected. ;-) I was probably just parroting something I had read in the liner notes of an Andras Schiff box set anyway.

It does seem to me that, for listening to something very long, WTC or Goldberg or Art of Fugue or something like that, harpsichord gets pretty tiresome by about 30 mins or so in, in a way that piano does not. (Clavichord is probably a whole 'nother story.)

Gottacook, I enjoyed interacting with you in the comment threads of Onion AVClub TOS reviews a couple years ago. Surprised to see your location – I live in Maryland too!
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:52 PM   #747
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I got my set yesterday, and listened to the first disk last night. Neil, if you're still around, good job to you and the folks who worked with you on this.

My plan now is to listen to one disk every night until I get through it all. It'll last longer than way, plus it's all I have time for at the moment. The next two weeks are going to be fun.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 04:18 PM   #748
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Hey, Christopher, did you ever find the version of Monster Illusion from This Side of Paradise that you were looking for?
Old December 14 2012, 04:27 PM   #749
Christopher
Writer

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Hey, Christopher, did you ever find the version of Monster Illusion from This Side of Paradise that you were looking for?
Oh yeah, I noticed that there was some of that "ping-ping-ping" at the beginning of that cue in "The Cage" after all. Although what I'm remembering could be the third-season library version (which means I'd be wrong to associate it with "This Side"), but I haven't gotten there yet. Or it could just be that I'm misremembering aspects of it. When you try to memorize a piece of music that you hear piecemeal under dialogue and sound effects, the brain does a certain amount of interpolation and guessing, so sometimes the version in my head isn't quite the same as the real thing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:00 PM   #750
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
I got my set yesterday, and listened to the first disk last night. Neil, if you're still around, good job to you and the folks who worked with you on this.
Thank you. Enjoy it!

Neil