Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 13 2012, 04:32 AM   #16
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Pacific Rim Viral Marketing.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I haven't read up on anything regarding this project so count me as impressed and surprised. And if this movie is a hit, coming soon to a theater near you -- Voltron, Danguard Ace, Grendizer and Starvengers.

Don't forget Godzilla in 2014, also by Legendary Pictures. Filming for that movie begins in March!
Old December 13 2012, 04:38 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

The Hellboys are two of my all time favorite movies, and I love Godzilla movies, so needless to say this is one of my most anticipated movies for next year.
Just watched the trailer, and after STID, MOS, and now this I think if one more trailer this good is released I will OD on awesomeness.
Old December 13 2012, 06:51 AM   #18
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Been hanging to see the trailer all day. Damn impressive.

Next year is looking good for scifi.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I haven't read up on anything regarding this project so count me as impressed and surprised. And if this movie is a hit, coming soon to a theater near you -- Voltron, Danguard Ace, Grendizer and Starvengers.
I would give anything to watch a Battletech Clan Invasion trilogy.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 10:47 AM   #20
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Not bad. This could be a good updating of the giant monster genre, depending on the story and characters, as well as the cast.
Old December 13 2012, 07:24 PM   #21
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I would give anything to watch a Battletech Clan Invasion trilogy.
"Mylady.. Kerensky's troops have returned. They are the Clans!"

I got goosebumps back then when i read this

And i agree.. with todays FX technology having huge Battlemechs fighting it out would be so awesome.. sometimes i wish i was just filthy rich and be able to pay for the production of such movies myself.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 07:59 PM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I've never watched anime so all of the references people are talking about are lost on me - it looked like an OK dumb actioner along the same lines as transformers - I'd catch it on bluray but I don't think I will go out of my way to pay for a movie ticket.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 10:23 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

Looks like a cool tribute to daikaiju films and the giant-mecha genre. Conceptually silly and outre, of course, but that's part of the charm of kaiju films. Yet some of the best ones have an element of gravitas to them at the same time, or at least convey an effective sense of menace and devastation. This looks like it has the potential to capture that.

The kaiju emerging from the depths of the Pacific is a nice tribute to the original explanation for Godzilla's origins (that he was a member of a prehistoric species that had survived in the deepest recesses of the Pacific for millions of years before being displaced/mutated by atomic tests). The way the Jaegers are airlifted into battle reminds me of Kiryu, the Millennium-series version of Mechagodzilla (although those two movies were pretty lame compared to the '90s Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2, one of the all-time classics). I bet there are a lot of other easter eggs and homages too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

This may be my second most anticipated film of next year after STID... Looks amazing!
Old December 14 2012, 03:11 PM   #25
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
This may be my second most anticipated film of next year after STID... Looks amazing!
It's made my list of potential to-watch blockbusters (along with In Darkness, the next Hobbit and Elysium).
Old December 14 2012, 11:22 PM   #26
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
GlaDOS is the jager AI voice. That is going to be so damned distracting.
Haha, yeah, I completely stopped paying attention to the film after hearing her voice in favour of making Portal jokes to myself.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 12:28 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't know, I love the idea of this but I'm not quite sure how successful the execution will be. I really need to play the Portal games so GlaDOS doesn't get me but I was thinking I'd probably had rather see them do Evangelion.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 01:19 AM   #28
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Evangelion is a considerably different feel than it seems like they're trying to go for with this movie...
Old December 15 2012, 02:07 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Maybe not by the same team exactly but I guess I'd have like to have seen that (if done any justice).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 02:54 AM   #30
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I think Eva is fine in animated form - and even then, it doesn't really hold up all that well. I loved it in the 90s, but it's kind of a huge mess of a series. The movies are retelling it better, but I just don't think it's something that needs a live action version.

It's just a little too full of itself without really saying anything.