Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 13 2012, 02:45 PM   #31
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: 2013 Transmission / Shooting Details

With all the horror stories I've seen about the BBC's budget, maybe we should be happy the shows even still on.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:50 PM   #32
Starkers
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
With all the horror stories I've seen about the BBC's budget, maybe we should be happy the shows even still on.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:59 PM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
We had a discussion at work about split seasons, and we were trying to figure out who to blame. (My coworkers were upset at the midseason break for The Walking Dead.) The thing is, no one's to blame. American television has always had split seasons, it's just that we never advertised them as such. Shows usually take a breather in the schedules during November and December. The networks use that as a time to put specials and other events on the schedule, while the programs can catch up productive-wise and build up another bank of episodes. It was always an informal thing, but shows like Battlestar formalized the broadcast break into a narrative break.
In the past, a show traditionally began in September, continued airing new episodes until the end of November, then took a break for December. After that, you could be guaranteed of new episodes in February, but otherwise the remainig episodes of the seasons would be stretched out so that the season could last until May.

These days the episodes are clumped together, which usually means splitting the season in two halves. With some shows like Lost and 24 it was felt that a mid-season split actually hurt them, and they actually did air all episodes consecutively, with a season starting in January and ending in May.

Maybe I'm ignorant here, but it does feel like BSG and the Stargates were the pioneers of the mid-season split with having mid-season cliffhangers. Hell, I'm fairly certain BSG started the tradition of releasing half-seasons on DVD.
Old December 13 2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
We had a discussion at work about split seasons, and we were trying to figure out who to blame. (My coworkers were upset at the midseason break for The Walking Dead.) The thing is, no one's to blame. American television has always had split seasons, it's just that we never advertised them as such. Shows usually take a breather in the schedules during November and December. The networks use that as a time to put specials and other events on the schedule, while the programs can catch up productive-wise and build up another bank of episodes. It was always an informal thing, but shows like Battlestar formalized the broadcast break into a narrative break.
In the past, a show traditionally began in September, continued airing new episodes until the end of November, then took a break for December. After that, you could be guaranteed of new episodes in February, but otherwise the remainig episodes of the seasons would be stretched out so that the season could last until May.

These days the episodes are clumped together, which usually means splitting the season in two halves. With some shows like Lost and 24 it was felt that a mid-season split actually hurt them, and they actually did air all episodes consecutively, with a season starting in January and ending in May.

Maybe I'm ignorant here, but it does feel like BSG and the Stargates were the pioneers of the mid-season split with having mid-season cliffhangers. Hell, I'm fairly certain BSG started the tradition of releasing half-seasons on DVD.
I'm pretty sure Farscape did the Half Season splits before NuBSG was a twinkle in Moore's eye. In fact, when they promised to renew Farscape for S4 and S5 at the same time, they tried claiming that S4 part 2 was S5 to avoid looking as if they had backed out of the renewal for S5.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 03:40 PM   #35
captcalhoun
Admiral

i miss the old days when the Beeb would wait for three years and then show all three years of an American show in one block, week in, week out. by the end of which, they'd probably have years four to seven to carry on with.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 07:27 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i miss the old days when the Beeb would wait for three years and then show all three years of an American show in one block, week in, week out. by the end of which, they'd probably have years four to seven to carry on with.
That wouldn't be practical these days due to the readily available alternate methods people would turn to.
Old December 13 2012, 08:48 PM   #37
diankra
Commodore

That wouldn't be practical these days due to the readily available alternate methods people would turn to.
It wasn't even practical back then, such as when the BBC turned down Next Generation ("I've seen it, it's awful," said BBC1 Controller Jonathan Powell. Actually, he'd watched the first 15 mins of Encounter at Farpoint, according to Private Eye), and then picked it the terrestrial rights after Sky had been running it for three years. Aside from the Sky showing, there'd been rental video releases of the whole of season one (bar two episodes... wonder if you can guess?) and sales of dual standard VHS players got a very noticeable boost around that time... :-)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 09:45 PM   #38
Candlelight
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure Farscape did the Half Season splits before NuBSG was a twinkle in Moore's eye. In fact, when they promised to renew Farscape for S4 and S5 at the same time, they tried claiming that S4 part 2 was S5 to avoid looking as if they had backed out of the renewal for S5.
The main problem with season breaks is not that they're there, but if they have enough episodes to cover it. Shows like TNG which had a solid 26 episodes to play with, they could split the show and you'd still have ~13 episodes before Christmas.

But shows these days like Game of Thrones or True Blood only have 12 episodes, so it makes sense not to split them - and they don't.

With Doctor Who having 14 episodes a year there really is no point splitting them (especially as the Xmas special is already separated from the group anyway).
Old December 13 2012, 09:48 PM   #39
Candlelight
Admiral

Yeah, we got Babylon 5 delayed by a season and a half, which effectively gave us seasons 1-3 back to back without breaks, an unbroken 68 weeks of the show (The Gathering was split into 2x 1 hour episodes at the start). Really helped me get into the story arc.
Old December 13 2012, 10:48 PM   #40
Lonemagpie
Writer

i miss the old days when the Beeb would wait for three years and then show all three years of an American show in one block, week in, week out.
...in a totally random order...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 11:21 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

You mean the good old days when ST and other Sci-Fi shows where on BBC at 18:00, only for episodes to be postponed due to the great TV god of sport, and even if the sport had finished by 18:00 if it had overrun, the Sci-Fi show would be posponted in favour of the show that the sport had overran into?

Ah yes the good the old days.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 04:17 PM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Per Moffat at a preview screening:
And if that makes for a merry Christmas for viewers, there's even more to come in the New Year as Doctor Who celebrates its 50th anniversary: "They are immense, they are considerable and they will be full of tremendous surprises," said writer Steven Moffat of his much-discussed anniversary plans.

"We're not going to tell you [any details] but I promise we're going to take over television, trust me," he told an audience of fans at a special preview of the Christmas episode.

Certainly Matt Smith will be around to play the titular Time Lord – he intends to go on playing it "for infinity number of years" he said.
I'm curious to see how Doctor Who takes over television in 2013. A repeat season, perhaps.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 05:21 PM   #43
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Well, Moffat also promised more Who than ever. So, I'd take all of that with a huge grain of salt!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 06:42 PM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

Doctor Who taking over television in 2013 will just end up along with some of Moffat's other memorable quotes like "more Who than ever," "airing in those cold, dark winter months," "splitting the season means less gaps between seasons," and so on.

Rule 1: Moffat lies.
Old December 19 2012, 06:52 PM   #45
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'll cherish those 7-8 weeks of WHO in April before we go back into the dark until 2013 Christmas special

I hope a Proms or SOMETHING is wedged in between the wait
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote