A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 13 2012, 02:50 AM   #1651
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Scotty wrote: View Post
Besides they fact that people like BrEnDoN don't seem to respect the artisitic integrity of the original work, I'm actually more troubled that networks and home entertainment companies are listening more and more to people who say "to hell with the original aspect ratio, I just want my screen filled".
Do you know what the artists original intent was? To make a show for us to enjoy. Let us enjoy it however way we want.

Last edited by BrEnDoN; December 13 2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Typo
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:56 AM   #1652
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Reeborg wrote: View Post

US-Americans have to be (regularly) remembered that the world is a little bigger than the one they know, and English is not the one and only existing communication form.
Yes, but it's possible for the selection to be 'remembered'. That's what they're annoyed with.
I'm watching TNG on a PS3 and not only does it remember my language and subtitle choices, but it also remembers where I was last time and starts playing where I left off, even when I've removed the disc from the player. So this is not an issue with the discs, but with certain BD players.
I watch it with a PS3 too, and sometimes it remembers where I left off, other times I have to select a language and go through the usual process. So it's less to do with the player and more to do with discs forcing you to pick a language each. and. every. time. you load the disc. Sure, sometimes the player may remember, sometimes it won't. I really don't know what the criteria is on that. And, really, it's absurd to force someone to pick a language every time they run the disc.
Old December 13 2012, 04:16 AM   #1653
trekker670
Captain

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
Do you know what the artists original intent was? To make a show for us to enjoy. Let us enjoy it however way we want.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 05:40 AM   #1654
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

I enjoy ST:TNG Blu-rays in "shoebox format". I put a carboard shoebox over my head and hit play...I only see about 3% of the picture. Don't judge me!

I also enjoy "mailbox format" and "safety deposit box format"...

I also hope they make "Casablanca" in widescreen, and maybe add color to it to! And some CGI...
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 05:44 AM   #1655
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

High Def Digest has reviewed season 2:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5231...ek_tng_s2.html

Unlike Blu-ray.com's review, they spotted the overuse of DNR and lousy visual effects. Video: 3.5/5
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 07:54 AM   #1656
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Tommunist wrote: View Post
I enjoy ST:TNG Blu-rays in "shoebox format". I put a carboard shoebox over my head and hit play...I only see about 3% of the picture. Don't judge me!

I also enjoy "mailbox format" and "safety deposit box format"...
Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
Old December 13 2012, 08:15 AM   #1657
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
High Def Digest has reviewed season 2:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5231...ek_tng_s2.html

Unlike Blu-ray.com's review, they spotted the overuse of DNR and lousy visual effects. Video: 3.5/5
Reviewer also seems to take issue with those who watch with a finger on the pause button.

I'm not sure what to think of it as I have yet to see it. Ordered it online from Best Buy on Dec. 4. It was supposed to have arrived by Dec. 10. As of Dec. 12 it had not arrived. Thanks for not having it in-store on release day, followed up by lousy shipping, "Best" Buy.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 08:21 AM   #1658
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Besides they fact that people like BrEnDoN don't seem to respect the artisitic integrity of the original work, I'm actually more troubled that networks and home entertainment companies are listening more and more to people who say "to hell with the original aspect ratio, I just want my screen filled".
Well, at least we no longer have to deal with movies being released in full screen and wide screen versions anymore.

Always bothered me when I saw someone's DVD collection and it was all "full frame" versions of movies, even before most people had widescreen TVs. I knew once they did they'd be SOL.

At least for TNG they kept the OAR. So we can enjoy it as it was meant to be seen, and the uninformed can do whatever they want in the privacy of their own living rooms.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 08:47 AM   #1659
davejames
Vice Admiral

GNDN wrote: View Post
I have come to the conclusion that I never need to watch "The Outrageous Okona" again, and I think it may have just officially replaced "Shades of Gray" as my least favorite TNG episode.
Really? It's certainly no high point, but I can still think of at least a dozen episodes that are harder to sit through than Okona (Masks, Code of Honor, Night Terrors, Angel One...)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 08:50 AM   #1660
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BriGuy wrote: View Post
So we can enjoy it as it was meant to be seen, and the uninformed can do whatever they want in the privacy of their own living rooms.
I'm perfectly 'informed', thank you. I just have a different preference and I'm glad I can choose which way I want to watch it...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 10:08 AM   #1661
throwback
Captain

At first, I found it disconcerting having black bars on the side. However, after watching nearly half the season, I have adapted to the difference, and I barely acknowledge it now.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 10:23 AM   #1662
Scotty
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
GNDN wrote: View Post
I have come to the conclusion that I never need to watch "The Outrageous Okona" again, and I think it may have just officially replaced "Shades of Gray" as my least favorite TNG episode.
Really? It's certainly no high point, but I can still think of at least a dozen episodes that are harder to sit through than Okona (Masks, Code of Honor, Night Terrors, Angel One...)
Have to agree with GNDN. Okona felt like it was written in the 1950s. As I said earlier, absolutely nothing of interest here. From the terribly written A story about a "rogueish" (read: annoying) captain to the abysmally bad B plot where Data tries to be funny, this episode has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. With Shades of Grey, we at least get to see some great moments from the first and second season. Sure, it's a poor excuse for an episode, but we all know why the episode is what it is and it's quite entertaining.

And DaveJames, Night Terrors? That's one of my all time favorites!
Old December 13 2012, 11:22 AM   #1663
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
Do you know what the artists original intent was?
Yes, the directors' intent was to frame each shot according to the proportions of a 4:3 television screen.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 03:19 PM   #1664
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Grain doesnt usually bother me, but I've noticed a unusually large amount of grain in scenes shot on the bridge, some of which borders on noise. Also, some scenes, again shot on the bridge, seem excessively sharp. Has anyone else noticed this?
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 03:44 PM   #1665
NewHorizon
Captain

mr.peany wrote: View Post
Grain doesnt usually bother me, but I've noticed a unusually large amount of grain in scenes shot on the bridge, some of which borders on noise. Also, some scenes, again shot on the bridge, seem excessively sharp. Has anyone else noticed this?
I don't own the set but, from what I have seen second hand, it looks like HTV went from one extreme to the other. Some scenes are DNR'd far too much, while others have had next to nothing done to them to clean up larger imperfections. There is little consistency...they just 'got it done'.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote