Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 11 2012, 11:20 PM   #691
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

GNDN wrote: View Post
So happy to have received my set. Slowly listening through it

cbspock wrote: View Post
Thanks that script it worked.

-Chris
The script worked wonder for me as well, except for Season 2 discs 2 & 3. Got an error on those two so input the info manually, no Bitter Dregs here

I didnt get that far yet. Did you submit the track names to gracenote I hope, so I don't have to type them

-Chris
Old December 12 2012, 12:02 AM   #692
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Disc 2 I got the error, Disc 3 worked for me. Disc 5 got the error

-Chris

Last edited by cbspock; December 12 2012 at 12:23 AM.
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:31 AM   #693
Malformed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got Them, sir!

Just arrived to today and I am thrilled and astounded with the quality. Thank you, La-La, thank you.

And yes! I think we should start an TOS Score Box Set Appreciation Thread immediately so we can discuss we glee the individual tracks, cues etc...
Malformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:41 AM   #694
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

It's not a lack of support. I'd love to have the set. It's a lack of money.

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Thanks for the support!
Neil

Also a moderator, I believe.
Not a worry. Posts like that amuse, not anger me.

She should get this box for "review purposes".
I wish. I do get stuff and it would be worth the work I would then have to do to review it.

I know exactly who she is. It doesn't change the fact that she came into the thread simply to say she wasn't buying it because of the price, feigned surprise that others were indeed buying it and then disparagingly referred to the set as a "hobby item". She contributed nothing to the discussion, so what would you call that type of behavior? It sounds an awful lot like trolling to me.
OK sport. I realize that I didn't do the gushing that the rest of the posters did (which is kind of funny in a twisted way because I suspect that I'd love the set) but here is something that YOU need to know. This is not a "cheerleading board" meaning that sometimes, someone will post an unpopular opinion.

The cost is high. That is not a complaint as it most probably IS worth it, but for me, it's too expensive. I was surprised that so many here bought it, because after over a decade online and real life acquaintance with many fellow Trekkies, most barely have a pot to piss in and so it was surprising to see that so many COULD afford this.

I did NOT "disparaging refer to it as a hobby." It IS a hobby. I don't know how it works in your world, but in mine, there is a limited amount of money for hobbies. Know that I LOVE hobbies and have several including Trek. Do you think I'd put up with some of the stupidity I put up with here on a daily basis if I didn't love Trek?

I've had to say this to others during my tenure here, but it's the first time I've ever had to use it defend myself. Again - it's not the cheerleader board, but a DISCUSSION board and sometimes people will have opinions you don't like. That's how it goes. Deal with it.

My inability to purchase the set at present and my envy of those who can afford is by no means to be taken as a disparagement of this noteworthy project. I hope the thing sells out, personally and wish nothing but the best to those who created it.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:42 AM   #695
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Yay, mine shipped today. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week so I can deal with ripping.

In regards to the above, my unsolicited two cents would be that I think/hope this was a miscommunication more than anything else. A "shake hands and forget about it" approach might be merited.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:44 AM   #696
GNDN
Commodore

-Chris
My mistake, it was disc 2 and 5 that gave me trouble.

How do you upload to Gracenote?
Old December 12 2012, 02:08 AM   #697
cbspock
Rear Admiral

GNDN wrote: View Post

-Chris
My mistake, it was disc 2 and 5 that gave me trouble.

How do you upload to Gracenote?
One you have the CD with the track names, you can upload the names to gracenotes, its an option off the same menu where you request the names.

-Chris
Old December 12 2012, 02:12 AM   #698
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

It's moved in iTunes 11. I should know....I had to find it when I uploaded them.

Neil
Old December 12 2012, 09:28 PM   #699
Daddy Todd
Captain

Mine came today. Just finished listening to Disc 1, starting Disc 2.

Awesome. Thanks for all the hard work putting this together!
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:09 PM   #700
Christopher
Writer

I just listened to the whole of Season 1, Disc 3 (all the Steiner stuff except "City" and library) in one sitting, and it made me very happy. There were numerous points where I was just giggling with maniacal glee after hearing one cue or another. This is the sound of Star Trek, folks.

The liner notes explain something I'd never realized before -- that the recurring 9-note motif that Steiner used in a lot of his scores (first heard in "Charlie X": "Zap the Pistol") was his Kirk theme. I just thought of it as a nonspecific motif he liked to reuse, but I guess it makes sense that it was a Kirk theme (especially since "Android Kirk" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of" is built upon it).

We were talking before about the rare instances of TOS composers using other composers' themes besides the main-title fanfare, and I noticed another one: Steiner using Courage's "Captain's Theme" as introductory or closing cues in "Charlie" and "Mudd's Women" -- and arranging it gorgeously. "Finale" from "Charlie X" is one of my all-time favorite cues.

It's also interesting how much of the stuff I thought was tracked from one scene of "Charlie X" to another was actually the same motifs performed more than once with slight variations at the beginning or end. Steiner did like to reuse his own stuff, both within and between episodes. Like taking the beginning of "Condition Alert" from "Corbomite" and following it with the Romulan theme to produce the Blackship Theme in "Mirror, Mirror," for just one example.

"Romulan Agitato" puzzles me. The last few moments of it are familiar, but the rest doesn't sound like something I've heard before. Was this cue only partially used in the episode, or were the early portions buried under sound effects or something?

And I never realized it before, but the chord structure and pacing of the low strings in "Ruk Attacks" reminds me of the middle part of the "V'Ger Speaks" cue that Steiner arranged for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's a neat thing to notice.

The one thing that disappointed me here: I actually like the Varese Sarabande re-recording version of "Planet Rigel" (from "Mudd's Women") better than the original. The re-recording has the bass strings play more emphatically, and I like that. But getting the original version of "Charlie's Mystery" at its proper tempo makes up for it.

(By the way, if anyone wants to start a separate thread for discussing the content of the set, the moderator is welcome to move this post and my previous review comments there.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:16 PM   #701
Basill
Captain

Well, my favorites are still my favorites (and there are many), but I'm actually amazed at how much I am enjoying "Spock's Brain". Granted, I am not one of those that hates it and just dismisses it outright because of its obvious flaws, but the music is really pretty stand out to me. Then again, Fred Steiner set the bar pretty darn high.

I'm also enjoying finally having the source music for all my favorite episode finale 'play-offs' (as I am learning they are called). They are some of my favorite Trek music, especially how they range from somber and curious to bombastically triumphant as the Enterprise typically swishes by and shrinks away into the star patch.
I've had a small collection of ripped finale clips on my MP3 player for years. They were complete with sound effects and dialog from both stand alone endings and other original finale pieces eventually tracked into other episodes, some even combine edited with other music for effect. I had narrowed it down to the best examples (multiple examples for a few) with the least non-musical interference, but I was never entirely certain what episode was the actual source piece for what. I was equally surprised to learn that one of my favorite sad endings (from "A Private Little War") was some of that interesting library stuff.

Now that I know for sure what is the genuine source music, I can clear out my old example rips and replace them with pristine originals. I'm not sure I'll bother this early with editing any two distinct pieces together, but I do have a short cue sheet now that explains the source material for the balance of those rips. I'll retain the rips on my HD for reference I suppose.

Also, some other great scene openers, filler, and source music are starting to reveal themselves. "Go for Baroque" is one of my favorite pieces, even sandwiched between two other segments of music (a 'sweet'ner' and another 'play-off' I'm told) as it always has been at the beginning of "The Conscience of the King." It never once occurred to me that it was the same music playing later during the Karidian company's performance aboard ship. Guess I'm too into the story at that point. Having it here in its entirety though is just perfect!

I actually adore "Beyond Antares" sung by Nichelle Nichols but my brain about exploded when I heard a whole extra verse/chorus of that song I'd never heard before! I'm really just having a blast with this set!

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:30 PM   #702
Christopher
Writer

Basill wrote: View Post
I was equally surprised to learn that one of my favorite sad endings (from "A Private Little War") was some of that interesting library stuff.
That's the one I've been trying to remember. I've been talking earlier in this thread about this mysterious sad cue that some episode ended with, but I thought it was a third-season episode. Which cue is it? Looking over the S2 library titles, I'd guess "Captain Playoff No. 3 (Sad and Alone)."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:33 PM   #703
Basill
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Basill wrote: View Post
I was equally surprised to learn that one of my favorite sad endings (from "A Private Little War") was some of that interesting library stuff.
That's the one I've been trying to remember. I've been talking earlier in this thread about this mysterious sad cue that some episode ended with, but I thought it was a third-season episode. Which cue is it? Looking over the S2 library titles, I'd guess "Captain Playoff No. 3 (Sad and Alone)."
That's it!

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:41 PM   #704
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I was never a huge fan of Shore Leave on the GNP disc, but I remember one time watching the episode and hearing the music when (iirc) Kirk and the gang are running towards gunshots. I thought "Wow! How did I miss THAT one the CD?!?" Then I thought "How did THEY miss that on the CD?!?!?" Now I find that it's a Joseph "I love Courage's MT Theme" Mullendore library cue! I don't know if it was used anywhere else.

Christopher, to me "Finale" will always be the end of City on the Edge of Forever.
Old December 12 2012, 11:44 PM   #705
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Romulan Agitato" puzzles me. The last few moments of it are familiar, but the rest doesn't sound like something I've heard before. Was this cue only partially used in the episode, or were the early portions buried under sound effects or something?
It's curious that you don't recognize it. While it's not used in "Balance of Terror" it was previously released on one of the "Best of" albums from GNP years ago.

It also turned up in "The Alternative Factor".

Neil