RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 522
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 12 2012, 03:50 PM   #1636
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BrEnDoN wrote: View Post
I care about 2.39:1. I wish everything was in that aspect ratio. I'd crop Star Trek to that ratio, but it cuts out a little bit too much, so I'll settle for 16:9. I care about this bluray because the remastering makes the show look a bit more modern, and 16:9 helps with that even more, in my opinion...
Removing a big chunk of the picture and destroying shot composition is not modern, it's backwards.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 04:11 PM   #1637
Mutai Sho-Rin

Tosk wrote: View Post
There's really not much point arguing. If someone wants to cut a bunch of the image off or distort it all to hell, logic isn't gonna convince them not to.
Logic? It's just a different preference. Go fuck yourself.
Warning issued for flaming. Read the rules or expect a rather short membership here.
Old December 12 2012, 04:31 PM   #1638
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I just don't understand why people seem to get offended when people want to watch a show in a way they disagree with?
Old December 12 2012, 04:32 PM   #1639
trekker670
Captain

I went to order on Amazon and their price is at $114!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 04:45 PM   #1640
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I just don't understand why people seem to get offended when people want to watch a show in a way they disagree with?
It's annoying when people act like the black bars are a "mistake", or suggest that future releases should be cropped or stretched for everybody.

Thankfully that hasn't happened on the BDs or broadcasts, but you can still watch them in your own home however you choose to, albeit with some fiddling required.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:30 PM   #1641
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Removing a big chunk of the picture and destroying shot composition is not modern, it's backwards.
4x3 is backwards...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:37 PM   #1642
Mott the barber
Commodore

Popped in "The Royale" last night. Data at the tables still gets me to this day. I also love the scene where Worf picks up the phone and says they're asking if we want "room service."

Riker: Tell them 'no.'
Worf: NO!

Another good one:

Texas: Son do you know the odds on a 5 card Charlie!?
Data: *looks at Texas, then at dealer* .... Hit me.

Edit: Also, and not to start up the whole vfx talk again, but the shot of the ship orbiting the planet, which is reused about 3 or 4 times in this episode, is one of the best examples of the crappy HTV job, especially when compared to the CBS version from EAF in S1. The colors are way overbright, soft, and it looks like the compositing was mushed together in low res.
Old December 12 2012, 06:41 PM   #1643
Borjis
Commodore

Salinga wrote: View Post
If I would zoom the picture, I would chose a compromise: zoom it, so the overscan area of the 4:3 picture top/bottom (that was not usually seen on old TV sets) is hidden and the black bars left/right are reduced by 50%. This way the picture fills more of the screen without actually losing important image information and distorting the image:

You should watch TNG on BBC America, thats exactly what they do.

The credits get slightly cutoff on the bottom.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:43 PM   #1644
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I'm not offended. Annoyed would be a better word. Besides they fact that people like BrEnDoN don't seem to respect the artisitic integrity of the original work, I'm actually more troubled that networks and home entertainment companies are listening more and more to people who say "to hell with the original aspect ratio, I just want my screen filled".

Borjis, illustrated my point brilliantly. BBC America is cutting up the image to satisfy viewers who are completely ignorant of aspect ratio's and other technical aspects of film and television making. And this is happening more and more, mostly on television but also on DVD and Blu Ray. I'm glad that most new television nowadays is shot in widescreen. That doesn't mean I want to see my old favorites mistreated in this way.

Last edited by Scotty; December 12 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:59 PM   #1645
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

4x3 is backwards...
Not if that's the way it was originally shot.

Cropping a 4:3 picture to conform to 16:9 today is no different than cropping a 16:9 picture to conform to a 4:3 television set back in the day. In both cases you are losing picture information.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:02 PM   #1646
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
4x3 is backwards...

Cropping a 4:3 picture to conform to 16:9 today is no different than cropping a 16:9 picture to conform to a 4:3 television set back in the day. In both cases you are losing picture information.
Or in some cases distorting picture information. Why does the picture need to "fill the screen" can't we all just be happy with OAR? There's several times I've watched a movie with my parents and the movie isn't i a 16:9 one so you get the matting on the TV and they wonder the picture doesn't "fill the screen." No, because it's a movie that was filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio so it's not going to "fill the screen."

I can understand wanting a P&S version of movies when we were watching VHS tapes on a 27# 4:3" TV, you'd get a very tiny picture. But things are much different today.

Keep it OAR. It's the way you're meant to view it.
Old December 12 2012, 11:45 PM   #1647
Salinga
Captain

Because TV stations or DVD/BluRay editors might go for THAT opinion, because its cheaper or just "looks better" on the first sight, since their precious flatscreen is filled, so those who really care for the original look of a show/film dont have the option to watch it this way or have to pay even more, since they have to go for a special edition/TV plan.

"Why make it high quality if we can make it low quality and cheaper and sell even more, because people dont care for the high quality."

And I am pretty sure that HTV released the special effect shots in that quality, because they were pretty sure: "No one will notice anyway, if we do the effects quick and cheap. And the small rest, who actually does notice: F*ck them. They are the minority and play no role for the sales."
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:51 PM   #1648
Salinga
Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
4x3 is backwards...
Agreed. Zooming a 4:3 picture is pretty much going back to the days of pan&scan/zoomed VHS tapes of the 80s and 90s.

And you can see, why it was so popular: Not because it was right for the most customers, just because it "feels right" for the most customers.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 01:59 AM   #1649
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched "A Matter of Honor" for the first time in a while, and never noticed before just how little we actually see of the Klingon ship. Basically just the bridge, a hallway, and the mess hall. Somehow it always seemed like a lot more than that.

As for the effects, they looked fine. Some of the stock Enterprise shots were a bit too bright, but thankfully everything featuring the Bird of Prey looked good.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:11 AM   #1650
GNDN
Commodore

"A Matter of Honor" was the last ep of the season 2 set I watched. It actually held up better than I remembered and I'll agree that the shots of the Klingon BOP were quite nice to look at. Ensign Mendon's makeup was also a treat in HD.

All in all a very satisfying episode.

I have come to the conclusion that I never need to watch "The Outrageous Okona" again, and I think it may have just officially replaced "Shades of Gray" as my least favorite TNG episode.