Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 11 2012, 07:53 AM   #391
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Any old timers still around?

I said the same thing years ago. I'm still here.

This place is like the Hotel California. You can log out any time you like....but you will never leave.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:37 PM   #392
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

well, I left 10 years ago.
After 2 years I re-registered and made 2 posts when a friend had died. After that I didn't use the account anymore and it got pruned.
The following 8 years I didn't even lurk here and only returned earlier this year when friends urged me to re-register. Frankly, had it not been for my friends, I'd have stayed away.

It's a lot of fun to re-start from Ensign again, though I made quite a few new friends here in the Redshirts' and Captains' Lounges, in addition to the ones I had made here a decade ago. I think when I'll reach Admiral, I'll ask Bonzie to demote me so that I can start all over again. It's just cool to get to know new people and the Lounges are a much better place for that than Misc or any other part of the board. One isn't required to stick to the topic but can chat as much as one likes. Whoever came up first with that thought, the lounges were a really good idea .
Old December 12 2012, 01:29 AM   #393
Rob Hal
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Whoever came up first with that thought, the lounges were a really good idea .
You've really got me thinking about this... I remember discussions about the Lounges; they was certainly some controversy over them, before and/or after their implementation. Part of it may have been inspired by the use of the Briefing Room as a Lounge of sorts for the mods and admins. I'm sure it's all serious business in there nowadays.

I will say that there was a period early on in the lifetime of the board when there was a very clear generational divide between posters, especially in Misc. I don't mean a divide by physical age, but length of time on the TrekBBS. (As Bonzie will confirm, I was, and always will be, an Elitist. ) The Lounges certainly were, in part, an attempt to address that. Some thought it would simply worsen the divisions, but it became my opinion, in the time that I frequented this board regularly, that they really helped strengthen the community.
Old December 12 2012, 01:37 AM   #394
Finn
Vice Admiral

For me, the Flaptain and Commie lounges were fun (early on for the Commie one). The Admiral one isn't the same.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:10 AM   #395
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I hated the lounges. I joined a year ahead of the people with whom I became closest on the board so I couldn't hang out with them in the same lounge. We could only interact in Misc., which pissed off too many dickheads.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:24 AM   #396
Rob Hal
Vice Admiral

That was the clear downside... people were expected to take most of the more trivial stuff from Misc. to the Lounges, but a lot of people were separated from the people who they wanted to interact with. I agree; I wasn't a fan of the Lounges at first, but I grew to like them. They were never as fun as Misc. though. Or the Star Wars forum. That place was a great hangout spot really early on. (We might have even talked about Star Wars at some point...)
Old December 12 2012, 08:25 AM   #397
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
well, I left 10 years ago.
After 2 years I re-registered and made 2 posts when a friend had died. After that I didn't use the account anymore and it got pruned.
The following 8 years I didn't even lurk here and only returned earlier this year when friends urged me to re-register. Frankly, had it not been for my friends, I'd have stayed away.

It's a lot of fun to re-start from Ensign again, though I made quite a few new friends here in the Redshirts' and Captains' Lounges, in addition to the ones I had made here a decade ago. I think when I'll reach Admiral, I'll ask Bonzie to demote me so that I can start all over again. It's just cool to get to know new people and the Lounges are a much better place for that than Misc or any other part of the board. One isn't required to stick to the topic but can chat as much as one likes. Whoever came up first with that thought, the lounges were a really good idea .
Yeah I was wondering that about you. You seem like a new poster yet you are familiar with all the board history and I got a little confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rob Hal,

Long time no chat. Hope life is treating you well.

Now that the first TNG moderator has returned, I was reminded of someone else and was wondering if anyone kept tabs on him through the years. Anyone remember Reza? I think that was his name, but he was the guy who was the leader of all things DS9, at least according to Trek Tonight. Actually there are a ton of DS9 forum regulars that have left, but he was the first to come to mind.
Old December 12 2012, 08:50 AM   #398
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

T'Grinch wrote: View Post
I hated the lounges. I joined a year ahead of the people with whom I became closest on the board so I couldn't hang out with them in the same lounge. We could only interact in Misc., which pissed off too many dickheads.
I couldn't agree more, Bonzie. That was precisely the reason why, way back, yours truely and 9 others founded the Eternal Fleet Captains' Lounge. We didn't want to get seperated by our different spam... errr.. posting speeds.
It was a lot of fun as long as it was only us, but then friends jouined (still fun) and the friends' friends (first tenstions) and their friends (full flame war). It seems that boards work only for small groups or huge groups but not for middle-sized ones.
Old December 12 2012, 08:52 AM   #399
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

^ Reza is a name I haven't heard of it in a long while.

On the lounges, if wasn't for them - I probably would have lost interest in the board over 10 years ago. Found many friends, seen lots go and find new friends.
ElimParra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 02:50 PM   #400
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Now that the first TNG moderator has returned, I was reminded of someone else and was wondering if anyone kept tabs on him through the years. Anyone remember Reza? I think that was his name, but he was the guy who was the leader of all things DS9, at least according to Trek Tonight. Actually there are a ton of DS9 forum regulars that have left, but he was the first to come to mind.
Oh, I certainly remember him....
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 04:44 PM   #401
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
For me, the Flaptain and Commie lounges were fun (early on for the Commie one). The Admiral one isn't the same.
Yup, those were the *best* lounges...

v/s

When I was a flaptain there was declared a war between us and the commies... kinda weird: some of us changed sides during that

Last edited by trekkiedane; December 12 2012 at 04:57 PM.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:45 PM   #402
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

the current Captains Lounge is pretty good, too. I really felt sorry when I got promoted.

Reza! Thanks for reminding me. I had completely forgotten about him. We didn't have much direct interaction but the name was omnipresent in some sections of the board.
Old December 12 2012, 06:49 PM   #403
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

The Admirals' Lounge used to be a hive of frenetic activity just a few years ago. We had several pages of current threads that were being posted in at any given time and the traffic in and out of the AL was constant. It was a happenin' spot on the boards, that's for sure.

Things have slowed down a whole lot since then. I believe that right now there's just one page of threads in the AL menu and it's not even three-quarters or even two-thirds full. Activity over there has really trailed off in the last couple of years and I don't think there are more than just a few active threads at any given moment. Still, it's a place with a whole lot of fond memories.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:23 PM   #404
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I like the lounges in small doses. Pretty much only like the check-in thread to see what people are up to. I like interacting with posters on a smaller level like that, but I can't stand game threads and such. The lounge has been a very supportive place for me and I'm sure many others could say the same, so it's definitely appreciated.
Old December 12 2012, 08:25 PM   #405
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Kestra wrote: View Post
I like the lounges in small doses. Pretty much only like the check-in thread to see what people are up to. I like interacting with posters on a smaller level like that, but I can't stand game threads and such. The lounge has been a very supportive place for me and I'm sure many others could say the same, so it's definitely appreciated.
I feel the same way, and it's one of the reasons why whenever I say I would post more in the lounge, that ends up not being the case. I like the idea of the lounges being a more intimate misc forum to get to know people who are the same level as you and feel comfortable with the place as a whole. Then when you get up to the Admiral Lounge and there are no more lounges after that, it almost becomes unnecessary because it's pretty much game threads. I don't even post in the check in threads anymore.