TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 11 2012, 01:25 PM   #991
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
Maybe or maybe not. Nobody's perfect. Again, in a time of crisis, people tend to focus on their friends over strangers.
Jacqui was no stranger to Dale by that point, as the group had been together for some time. Remember, Dale's the guy running around trying to preach unity (his kind, in any case), so for Mr. Let's Preserve Humanity to focus on Andrea and not try to plead with Jacqui as well makes him appear single-minded (like a desperate teenager who gets tunnelvision), as Andrea was the target of his personal interest.
Old December 11 2012, 02:47 PM   #992
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
Precisely. It's what renders comemnts like this:

And again, this happens all the time with people who are suicidal or otherwise self-destructive. You've got to keep pushing until you get through to them.
Questionable with regard to Dale as he had no interest in doing that if that someone wasn't Andrea. Dale even concedes when demanding Andrea can't die that he has a personal stake in this, that how dare she end her life when he cares about her.
Old December 11 2012, 04:44 PM   #993
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I guess I need to rewatch the earlier episodes, because it seems to me, it's a bit much to claim that Dale had no relationship to Andrea and just decided to play Daddy out of nowhere. I'm prety sure I recall them being good friends, and Andrea hanging out with him, and in the RV of her own accord. Yes, she was angry at hm, for playing daddy, especially when he took her gun (That was definitely very questionable, considering the Zombie dangers), but, I don't believe he inserted himself into that position without being encouraged through an already developed frienship

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:29 PM   #994
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I guess I need to rewatch the earlier episodes, because it seems to me, it's a bit much to claim that Dale had no relationship to Andrea and just decided to play Daddy out of nowhere. I'm prety sure I recall them being good friends, and Andrea hanging out with him, and in the RV of her own accord. Yes, she was angry at hm, for playing daddy, especially when he took her gun (That was definitely very questionable, considering the Zombie dangers), but, I don't believe he inserted himself into that position without being encouraged through an already developed frienship
what about when he took all the guns. Can we agree at least that it was crazy and showed his need to control everyone else's behaviour?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:00 PM   #995
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
what about when he took all the guns. Can we agree at least that it was crazy and showed his need to control everyone else's behaviour?
Oh, absolutely. I wasn't trying to defend his every action, everyone's got something we can grumble about.

I was just opposed to this idea, that Dale started trying to play Andrea's Daddy from out of nowhere, because I believe I remember them being good friends

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:43 PM   #996
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Right. The idea that saving somebody from suicide is creepy is just wrong.

I'm drawing a blank on Jacqui and the Wiki page doesn't help much, so I'd have to rewatch to remind myself. But, again, whatever he did or didn't do for Jacqui doesn't make what he did do for Andrea creepy.
Old December 12 2012, 12:00 AM   #997
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I'm drawing a blank on Jacqui and the Wiki page doesn't help much, so I'd have to rewatch to remind myself. But, again, whatever he did or didn't do for Jacqui doesn't make what he did do for Andrea creepy.
well they were all standing in the same room that is counting down to an explosion, the Dr. and Jacqui say they are going to stay and die. Andrea says she is staying too. Dale tells Andrea if she is staying he is too. Andrea leaves so Dale will leave.

Dr. and Jacqui blow up.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:22 AM   #998
Immolatus
Captain

Lori seemed close to Jacqui, she said her goodbyes and left
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:13 AM   #999
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

* I seems pretty obvious that zombies go dormant if they haven't fed in awhile, and only become active again when they hear or spot prey. Would explain why we see so many deserted city streets and town in the show. The zombie that got Herchel is probably an example. Would explain how they can carry on for extended periods.

* I do hope the Governor gets a chance to explain his side. I've always been astounded at how anyone could think that way towards their fellow man. I'd like to at least try to understand.

* Anyone else get a George Bush vibe from his "The terrorists want to destroy our freedom!" vibe?

* Don't see Merle coming back to the group. He'd turn into Shane 2.0 pretty darn quickly. My guess? He turns on the Governor and they both go out together.

* Maybe I'm too civilized to survive a zombie apocolypse. I hate how people are constantly killing one another and happily turning away survivors unless they prove themselves useful. Humanities going to have a hard enough time recovering without us doing the zombies work for them.
Assuming anyone survives, it looks like society is in for several centuries of tribalism and small-time warlords fighting amongst themselves.

* As for the end of the series? Anything but "And they all died. The end."
Actually, a "Ten Years Later..." title card featuring a small walled town with plowed fields of crops, and kids and dogs playing in the street would be my preferred end. Nothing definate, but very, very hopeful.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; December 12 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:47 AM   #1000
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Yeah, I caught that George Bush homage.

well they were all standing in the same room that is counting down to an explosion, the Dr. and Jacqui say they are going to stay and die. Andrea says she is staying too. Dale tells Andrea if she is staying he is too. Andrea leaves so Dale will leave.

Dr. and Jacqui blow up.
So he didn't try to save the doctor, either. With only a few seconds to act, he focused on his friend. That's pretty much what anyone would do. Anybody but Lori, anyway.
Old December 12 2012, 06:37 PM   #1001
Snowlilly
Lieutenant

Cutter John wrote: View Post
* Maybe I'm too civilized to survive a zombie apocolypse. I hate how people are constantly killing one another and happily turning away survivors who don't prove themselves useful. Humanities going to have a hard enough time recovering without us doing the zombies work for them.
Assuming anyone survives, it looks like humanity is in for several centuries of tribalism and small-time warlords fighting amongst themselves.
I so agree with you on that.......I have been thinking the same thing too.
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:34 PM   #1002
propita
Rear Admiral

I know I wouldn't last long in a ZA. Meds. Or lack thereof.

That's why everyone in zombie shows and those like Revolution look so good (overall). Anyone with chronic health issues tends to die within a year. Glasses, bad teeth (to a point), etc? Fine. Diabetes or anything requiring continuing meds? Dead.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:43 PM   #1003
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

And with limited resources and a lack of an ability to set up a safe, long-term settlement to grow crops and the like, you better believe the people willing to kill and murder are going to be setting the trend. ''Civilized'' people aren't going to last long in such an environment.

Of all the things zombie movies get wrong, that's really not one of them.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 10:16 AM   #1004
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

So he didn't try to save the doctor, either. With only a few seconds to act, he focused on his friend. That's pretty much what anyone would do. Anybody but Lori, anyway.
Again, Dale was the Lets Stay United / Sake of Humanity resident bleeding heart, and he knew Jacqui--she was no stranger or newbie to the Atlanta group. He focused on Andrea because he had less than honorable intentions toward her, as his post-CDC behavior would prove. That's why he was so bug-eyed pissy when he detected her relationship with Shane--his would-be liberal fantasy girl had become the wannabe gunslinger with a taste for a brutal ex-cop/hayseed.
Old December 13 2012, 10:22 AM   #1005
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Another good character point to expose: somehow--in the daisies and sunshine legal corners of Dale's mind--he thought it wise to hide the groups primary defense....in the middle of a global zombie outbreak. That made him a threat, as his one-sided ideologue schtick--thinking he could make decisions for everyone else--could have cost the group at any moment.

Whether it was his horny BS about the ever-disinterested Andrea, or playing the last aging hippie protester, Dale had problems.