Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2012, 06:56 AM   #4936
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Love that Diane Lane!
It's been a while since I've seen you around here. Good to see a familiar face.
Old December 12 2012, 07:28 AM   #4937
KalEl
Lieutenant Commander

This is not the Superman I grew up with and I'm fine with that. I love the old movies, I like Returns and I really liked Smallville up until Lex left. I don't get a dark and moody tone from this, I see the Nolan "realism" and a more grand or epic tone from this. The line from Pa Kent about maybe kind of threw me off, but I remember Smallville was like that, so I'm ok with it, it's probably out of context anyway. I wish we could see more action shots, but still, this was way better than the STITD trailer. I saw Superman spit some blood out, so it looks like he may take a beating, which is good IMO. I can't wait to see more. I thought Watchmen was awsome, so I have no problem with Snyder and Nolan of course gave an epic trilogy and TDKR was completely awsome IMO. I loved how there was so much going on, yet it didn't seem slow or overdone. I believe this new take may be exactly what Superman needs. I love the new suit, but I would like to see the red belt at least.
KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:51 AM   #4938
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Looks pretty epic and cool!

Though I'm a little disappointed they seem to be going along the same "holy savior christ" feel that Superman Returns did. Would prefer something a little bit more upbeat and colorful. However, the execution certainly looks grand in scope. Feeling optimistic.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 09:51 AM   #4939
Hyperspace05
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
There was some good stuff in the trailer and I'm trying to keep an open mind. However, that Pa Kent scene really, really, rubbed me the wrong way. Pa Ken's role has always been to teach Clark what it means to be human and that "son, you were put here for a purpose." Having him be the one who wants Clark to hide, to the point of "maybe" letting people die, seemed contrary to the whole point of the character.
Sigh. Why do people interpret Pa Kent's "Maybe" as a YES? It is neither a YES nor a NO.

Note that we do not seem him finish the sentence.

Besides, does such a conversation really conflict that much with previous iterations of Pa Kent & teenage Superman? Did previous iterations of Pa Kent really insist that he as a 10-12 yr old should use his powers and save everyone he can? Certainly not in any of the films.

Anyway, putting that kind of doubt in to the character, however, is part of what made this trailer stick out for me in a positive way. It's a newer, more complex take on the situation of what to do with his powers at that age, which I find refreshing. The whole trailer gives off that vibe, and I really like it.

Do you miss the Donner Superman and Pa Kent? Well, fret not - those films will still be there. This new movie (and hopefully sequels) will be for the people looking for something different, a new take.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:00 AM   #4940
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

BTW, I absolutely loved the trailer. Can't stop watching it.
Old December 12 2012, 10:09 AM   #4941
Skywalker
Admiral

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
There was some good stuff in the trailer and I'm trying to keep an open mind. However, that Pa Kent scene really, really, rubbed me the wrong way. Pa Ken's role has always been to teach Clark what it means to be human and that "son, you were put here for a purpose." Having him be the one who wants Clark to hide, to the point of "maybe" letting people die, seemed contrary to the whole point of the character.
Sigh. Why do people interpret Pa Kent's "Maybe" as a YES? It is neither a YES nor a NO.

Besides, does such a conversation really conflict that much with previous iterations of Pa Kent & teenage Superman? Did previous iterations of Pa Kent really insist that he as a 10-12 yr old should use his powers and save everyone he can? Certainly not in any of the films.

Anyway, putting that kind of doubt in to the character, however, is part of what made this trailer stick out for me in a positive way. It's a newer, more complex take on the situation of what to do with his powers at that age, which I find refreshing. The whole trailer gives off that vibe, and I really like it.

Do you miss the Donner Superman and Pa Kent? Well, fret not - those films will still be there. This new movie (and hopefully sequels) will be for the people looking for something different, a new take.
Agreed. Jonathan's "maybe" had a hint of doubt to my ears, like he was conflicted. And like you said, we don't know if that's his whole response or if the rest of it was cut out for the purposes of the trailer.

Personally I like the idea of Jonathan not having all of the answers. I'd rather have Clark discover his purpose on his own, using lessons (both good and bad) from both Jonathan Kent and Jor-El to do so.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:36 AM   #4942
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post

Agreed. Jonathan's "maybe" had a hint of doubt to my ears, like he was conflicted. And like you said, we don't know if that's his whole response or if the rest of it was cut out for the purposes of the trailer.

Personally I like the idea of Jonathan not having all of the answers. I'd rather have Clark discover his purpose on his own, using lessons (both good and bad) from both Jonathan Kent and Jor-El to do so.
It does have a serious feel to it (the trailer) along the lines of Nolan's Batman though, perhaps, not going for such grimness. Certainly, it is quite apart from the kitsch sentimentality of Donner's Superman. I liked that Rockwell version of Superman, though. The Nolan seriousness just doesn't entertain me. However, I shouldn't be surprised to see this do much better than the last film.
Old December 12 2012, 12:29 PM   #4943
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post

I take the "maybe" as sort of implying Clark has to employ some thought into who he chooses to save, considering the greater outcome. If this is a meaningful scene in may play an important role in the movie in Clark/Superman's arc in the movie. In the first movie he's told by Jor-El that he cannot interfere with the course of human history but Superman defies this order by reversing time to save Lois.

It also makes me think of a scene in the All-Star Superman comic (I think this is where it is from) where Lois (I think) temporarily given super-powers is taught about "Superman Triage" where Superman listens to help needed out there and chooses what he wants to do based on what he hears. Rather than helping, say, a robbery or something he does something else because he ALSO hears that police have been dispatched and will arrive at the robbery in time to help.
Old December 12 2012, 12:33 PM   #4944
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

That was a damn good trailer. I loved the tone and the music, the action scenes looked awesome. I like that the appear to be exploring some of the tragedy of the character too, like when as a boy Martha is telling him to focus on her voice.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 04:36 PM   #4945
Kelthaz
Commodore

Well, I didn't care for the trailer. Why does every movie have to be all serious and angsty? Can't we just have a movie that's fun for a change? Can't Superman just be a dude who is happy with his life and flies around saving people?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 05:38 PM   #4946
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The problem with that is it's uncertain where the drama comes from.
Old December 12 2012, 06:52 PM   #4947
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Well, I didn't care for the trailer. Why does every movie have to be all serious and angsty? Can't we just have a movie that's fun for a change? Can't Superman just be a dude who is happy with his life and flies around saving people?
I tend to agree wtih this. Suprman Returns was so full of this. Even though it was intended to be the same timeline, the original film had plenty of drama, yet Superman wasn't so full of angst. Sure, he had some, but he never had so much doubt that it brought down the film. In fact, by having his human father suffer a heart attack giving him the most doubt - that was really poignant. And there were a few other moments (his real father's instruction not to alter history) but the film still had a willing superman who was prideful, eager, and filled with virtue. The angst was there, sure, but his willingness to help others, to not show his same in himself to others, had more precedent. This was why it was the greatest portrayal of Superman ever, and why Reeve will always be Superman. All the things we look to Superman for were in that movie.
Old December 12 2012, 07:14 PM   #4948
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Clark is on a journey to become Superman. He needs to discover himself and his place in the world before embracing his duo heritage and donning the suit and cape. These are the things that "Man of Steel" is going to explore. I thought the scene with Superman and Lois was beautifully done.Also the shot of him hugging Martha at the farm. Just because this is going to be a personal journey, doesn't mean there won't be familiar elements that we've come to expect to see in a Superman story. The writers and Snyder are all very much aware of that this time around.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:32 PM   #4949
Worf2DS9
Writer

I thought the trailer was pretty awesome -- the music, the images. I was a bit unsure about Supes being rebooted by Snyder, but this trailer has sold me. Love how the sweep of the cape at the end is used as the "to black" transition.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:35 PM   #4950
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Trailer's fine. I'll be seeing this film.