Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Fave Planet Of The Apes sequel?
Beneath The Planet Of The Apes 15 42.86%
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes 11 31.43%
Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes 9 25.71%
Battle For The Planet Of The Apes 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11 2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Planet Of The Apes sequel?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Escape implied that those events were a considerable distance in the future -- naturally, since it would've taken time to breed the apes into the more humanoid form we see.
I read once that there was a subplot (or maybe just one scene, like a character reading a book or something) which was cut from the original film, and which would have placed the 'ape holocaust' at several centuries into our future, like the 26th or 27th centuries. Most people assume that it happened in the present, but there's no real proof of that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 11 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:53 PM   #32
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ I think there was a scene like that in the first episode of the TV show.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That being said: What's everyone's opinion on the theory that the original POTA films establish a closed time loop?
I'd buy a closed time loop that changes a bit on each pass; that would or could explain many of the timeline contradictions.

That's just an example of what makes it hard for me to see the five films as one epic story. None of them, save the last, was designed with a sequel in mind. So each film had to retcon the rules of the previous film in order to justify its existence. In the original, there was no time warp; Taylor and his men were just in hibernation for thousands of years, maybe time-dilated by their velocity, but either way just in suspended animation. Beneath had to retcon that into a time warp to justify a second ship coming to the same future.
Well, it was certainly a messy epic. Aside from the problems with Escape, the thing that bothers me the most is the evolution of the time dilation to a time warp to a two-way time warp (and in the show there was no suspended animation at all). While I consider the first film Grade-A, I look at the whole thing collectively as a B-Movie-- lots of fun, but with damaging plot holes and contradictions and inconsistent production values.
Old December 12 2012, 02:18 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
I'd buy a closed time loop that changes a bit on each pass; that would or could explain many of the timeline contradictions.
But doesn't that contradict the definition of a closed time loop? If it's closed, that means it's a fixed causal loop that just cycles back to its own beginning. What you're describing is more of an open loop, a "helix" with each time travel creating a new parallel path.

Well, it was certainly a messy epic. Aside from the problems with Escape, the thing that bothers me the most is the evolution of the time dilation to a time warp to a two-way time warp (and in the show there was no suspended animation at all). While I consider the first film Grade-A, I look at the whole thing collectively as a B-Movie-- lots of fun, but with damaging plot holes and contradictions and inconsistent production values.
Yeah, the first film is a classic (although it certainly has its own conceptual flaws, like the apes speaking English and the implausibly rapid evolution), while the other four are collectively a lesser accomplishment, although Escape and Conquest have some effective social satire/critique.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:57 AM   #34
RJDiogenes

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
But doesn't that contradict the definition of a closed time loop? If it's closed, that means it's a fixed causal loop that just cycles back to its own beginning. What you're describing is more of an open loop, a "helix" with each time travel creating a new parallel path.
I suppose, since such a thing doesn't exist in real life, it depends on how time behaves in the context of a particular work of fiction. An orbit is a closed loop, but it can oscillate and change over time. If your concept of time is "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" enough, you could have a closed loop that is a little different on every pass.
Old December 12 2012, 06:11 PM   #35
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Time is a funny thing in science fiction. How it behaves depends entirely on the author or scriptwriter and how they want time to behave within the context of their own stories.

Look at the new Abrams timeline in the Trek franchise. In the Roddenberry and B&B eras a radically altered timeline would have been repaired by either our heroes to set things right or by time-traveling "temporal cops" from the future who monitor the flow of history to make sure nobody's screwing with things. It might have taken a two- or three-part episode to correct things and return the known universe to the way it was, but it was done and our heroes went back to the bridges of their starships or space station and relaxed.

Now we have what appears to be a permanent or at least semi-permanent new temporal events sequence that takes place parallel to the Prime/original timeline of Trek and one - it appears - no Federation timeship from the 29th, 30th or 31st century is in any rush to correct.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:15 PM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Look at the new Abrams timeline in the Trek franchise. In the Roddenberry and B&B eras a radically altered timeline would have been repaired by either our heroes to set things right or by time-traveling "temporal cops" from the future
No one in the 'prime' timeline knows that the Abrams timeline even exists. They have no idea where Spock Prime and Nero went. From their point of view, both men simply vanished. Can't repair a timeline that they don't know exists...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 12 2012, 06:18 PM   #37
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Look at the new Abrams timeline in the Trek franchise. In the Roddenberry and B&B eras a radically altered timeline would have been repaired by either our heroes to set things right or by time-traveling "temporal cops" from the future
No one in the 'prime' timeline knows that the Abrams timeline even exists. They have no idea where Spock Prime and Nero went. From their point of view, both men simply vanished. Can't repair a timeline that they don't know exists...
There's the theory that the unique qualities of the Red Matter black hole/singularity masked Nero's arrival in 2233 and the changes made to history so nobody from the distant future could detect the alterations with their temporal sensor equipment, but that's just more technobabble really. Who knows what the "real" in-universe explanation might be.

Maybe Braxton and Daniels were in the men's room when it happened and never took notice?

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:45 PM   #38
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I think that the Star Trek time cops really only care about timeline changes that affect them in their own time period.
Old December 12 2012, 08:10 PM   #39
Tom
Rear Admiral

I have to re watch those films again. I did like the recent 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' and look forward to 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'. The new 'smart ape' evolution (and revolution) in the wake of a new global pandemic seems alot more plausable.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the scifi section?
Old December 12 2012, 10:50 PM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I think that the Star Trek time cops really only care about timeline changes that affect them in their own time period.
There's a line in one of Christopher's DTI novels that mentions Daniels and his people "isolating" a timeline. Specifically:

Maybe they did that with this one as well.
Old December 12 2012, 11:40 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

^No, I offered a different explanation for the Abramsverse there. Basically my DTI-novel temporal-physics model is that an altered timeline tends to collapse together with its original only if there is a 2-way exchange of matter, energy, or information between them, causing them to be mutually quantum-entangled and thus drawn together. If the exchange of mass/energy is only one-way -- as, for instance, via passage through a black hole -- then there is no collapse and the timelines can coexist, although the altered timeline has a one-way entanglement with the original and its events may thus be influenced to unfold in a similar way.

But what does this have to do with Planet of the Apes again?

Old December 13 2012, 12:54 AM   #42
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I remember seeing a special about the POTA movies some years ago, and I'm pretty sure they said that Battle was the only movie written with a sequel in mind. Certainly the ending of Escape was meant to be ominous, to show that the seeds of the apocalyptic future had been sown, but as I said, I think the idea there was that it would be many generations down the road, not just a couple of decades as the next movie had it.
That's correct, from the film itself. Cornelius's testimony in Escape puts the ape uprising generations after his presence on Earth.

They replay some of that testimony in Battle, but snip the time indications out of it.
Old December 13 2012, 12:59 AM   #43
Christopher
Writer

You know, that's one reason the new POTA films intrigue me. We may finally get a series of POTA movies that actually do form a cohesive continuity instead of just pretending to.

Although the time-loop structure of the original POTA films has created the unique situation where the reboot of the franchise was essentially a loose remake of the fourth film rather than the first. And I wonder how much Dawn will have in common with Battle.

Old December 13 2012, 10:51 AM   #44
RJDiogenes

I wonder if they'll ever reach a point equivalent to the original movie.
Old December 13 2012, 10:56 AM   #45
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That they launch Charlton Heston into space never to return in our lifetimes, crowing "Smell you later asshole!" while giving his ship the finger as it climbs towards the heavens?

Yes.

I can totally see that happening.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote