RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 455
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 11 2012, 07:48 PM   #4906
Joerib
Lieutenant

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

ToddKent wrote: View Post
Hey, they made a movie version of Smallville!

Anyhoo, watching the new Superman trailer is like being punched in the face repeatedly by a man screaming, "SUPERMAN IS CHRIST!"
I got that vibe also on the bus scene...
Joerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 07:55 PM   #4907
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I've been mildly curious to see what angle they can take with this character, but this doesn't seem like a direction that's going to work for them. Too whiney and emo, tha may work okay on a CW show, but summer popcorn movie audiences are looking for FUN!

Also, why is Supes afraid that people will hate him for being a superpowered alien? Thor is a superpowered alien, and humanity doesn't seem upset or angry about his presence on Earth in a couple of movies now.

Yeah I know, DC vs Marvel, but the audience won't make a distinction because they neither know nor care. Thor is a fun, crowd-pleasing character. Imagine if they made him whiney and emo instead. Avoiding that is probably why they ditched the Don Blake angle.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 07:59 PM   #4908
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well the first shot is him with his arms wide like a crucifix.

My friend said that this trailer is a work of art, and is better than the STiD trailer.

First it's longer. The Trek trailer was a minute, just to announce the film. Secondly, reading into it a little, one of the things I've always liked about Trek was the idea that the peaceful future was an illusion. But only a few episodes have ever really hit that theme, and I believe it's far more interesting than most superhero tropes. By contrast, this trailer hits upon the same themes that the other superman films have hit, though I'm glad they are not dovetailing Donner. Even still, it feels like the same Passion of The Clark ideals that bogged down Returns, new aesthetic or not.
Old December 11 2012, 08:02 PM   #4909
The Keeper
Commodore

This is what the trailer tells me:

* Dad tells him to keep his identity a secret, he doesn't listen.

* Eventually pays the price of not listening to dad, leads to his being arrested just as Zod and Co appear on Earth.

* Escapes, defeats Zod and Co, goes back in time, (him with the beard watching his younger self disobey dad) to prevent previous timeline.

* Film ends with successful timeline alterations, setting up sequel in which adult Clark Kent has job at Daily Planet as if nothing ever happened.

That look about right?
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:03 PM   #4910
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

^ Not really.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:04 PM   #4911
JD
Admiral

Wow, this looks awesome.
Old December 11 2012, 08:05 PM   #4912
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Young Clark won the Science Fair project with Wyoming's Devil's Tower?!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:11 PM   #4913
The Keeper
Commodore

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
^ Not really.
That's a relief.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:12 PM   #4914
DrunkUncle
Ensign

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Too whiney and emo, tha may work okay on a CW show, but summer popcorn movie audiences are looking for FUN!
You mean like The Dark Knight Rises, this years second highest-grossing movie wich opened in the middle of July?
DrunkUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:46 PM   #4915
Hyperspace05
Commodore

This trailer blew me away. Best trailer of 2012 for me. Some stunning images, like the shot from behind with the flowing cape.

I'm really liking the more mythical yet somber approach to the material.

I was not anticipating this before, but they've sold me now. (And this is coming from someone who is not a big Superman fan, although I have seen all the films)
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:33 PM   #4916
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
That's cause it was the score from "Gladiator" at the beginning at least...giving us a little taste of what to expect from Zimmer 's score. Just as the first teaser did.
It's actually a sequel to Gladiator. Russell Crowe's Maximus character ascended to Krypton after his death and changed his name to Jor-El.
Old December 11 2012, 10:27 PM   #4917
davejames
Vice Admiral

I've been mildly curious to see what angle they can take with this character, but this doesn't seem like a direction that's going to work for them. Too whiney and emo, tha may work okay on a CW show, but summer popcorn movie audiences are looking for FUN!
Yeah it is somewhat surprising they're going for another dark and moody Superman, after the poor reception SR got.

But the clear difference this time is that they're also making it really huge and EPIC, with tons of intense action to balance out the somberness.

That's what SR was lacking, and why I believe people ultimately didn't respond to it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:35 PM   #4918
Skywalker
Admiral

It looks like Superman done in The Dark Knight mold, and Christopher Nolan's name is prominently attached to it. People will go to see this.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:39 PM   #4919
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

After the excellent cinematography of The Dark Knight trilogy, and the nicer looking comic book films out there lately, the shaky cam handheld images here are pretty ugly.

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it is somewhat surprising they're going for another dark and moody Superman, after the poor reception SR got.

But the clear difference this time is that they're also making it really huge and EPIC, with tons of intense action to balance out the somberness.

That's what SR was lacking, and why I believe people ultimately didn't respond to it.
Superman Returns wasn't dark and moody, it was emo and boring.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:41 PM   #4920
Gojira
Commodore

I really do not expect this to be dark and moody like the Batman series. Yes, I know Nolan has been attached to both, I just don't think it will be as dark. I do give the benefit of a doub that Nolan and Snyder know the difference between Batman and Superman. I am thinking we will get a movie that has a serious tone but is also fun.

Batman was serious and well told but fun is not a word I would use to describe it.