Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 11 2012, 02:14 AM   #616
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Are you all excited for next week's Geno Smith Bowl? Chiefs vs. Raiders: The loser of this game is in a strong position to get either the #1 or #2 draft choice.
I'm not sure if everybody is going to go QB crazy in this draft. It's not that great of a pro style QB class. I think Barkley's stock has fallen as well as Geno's. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia is a number 1 overall pick. I thought that kid was better than Manti but he didn't have the hype train. If you want a franchise QB than a guy like Tyler Wilson from Arkansas fits the mold. Tyler Bray out of Tennessee as well. Everybody was high on Logan Thomas out of VT but he ended up being an incompletion machine this year. He still might get some looks in the later rounds because he is 6'6 and 260 lbs.
True, and yet we have a fair number of teams that are absolutely desperate for a QB, and there aren't a huge number of good options among free agents or trade options. What is, say, Kansas City going to do at QB if they don't draft a quarterback with their high draft pick? Trade for Alex Smith or Matt Flynn? There'll be other teams like Arizona that might want to trade for them as well. Trade for Michael Vick???
No one's going to trade for Alex Smith when everyone knows that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of the 49ers picking up his $7.5 million roster bonus. Vick will most likely never start another game in the NFL again. I have to imagine Seattle will hang onto Flynn as long as it can, too, since the jury's still out on whether Russell Wilson is legit -- he's definitely talented but the Seahawks have played a pretty hilariously weak schedule.
Old December 11 2012, 02:52 AM   #617
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I heard Vince Young is available....

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old December 11 2012, 03:05 AM   #618
tighr
Commodore

Just used the playoff calculator, and determined that if Houston loses to either New England tonight or Minnesota in week 16, and then Indianapolis can somehow sweep them (I know, I know, unlikely that Houston loses 3 of their last 4), then Indianapolis actually wins the AFC South.

I think that's insane, considering both Denver and New England have already locked up their divisions, but Houston is still 2 games away from winning theirs.
Old December 11 2012, 04:24 AM   #619
Neroon
Mod of balance

Houston is getting smacked around by Belicheck right now. Whatever tweaks he's added to the Patriot defense, it has the Texans completely stymied
- Proverbs 12:20
Old December 11 2012, 04:30 AM   #620
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Tiny Timby wrote: View Post
Vick will most likely never start another game in the NFL again.
While I hope that to be true, you can imagine someone signing him as a backup and who knows the uncertainties after that.
Old December 11 2012, 04:48 AM   #621
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Neroon wrote: View Post
Houston is getting smacked around by Belicheck right now. Whatever tweaks he's added to the Patriot defense, it has the Texans completely stymied
Houston isn't managing much on the offensive side, but they are pummeling Brady. Dude's been getting drilled all night.
Old December 11 2012, 05:48 AM   #622
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Aside from seeing Brady knocked on his ass a few times, MNF tonight was about as much fun as an anal evacuation.
Old December 11 2012, 12:31 PM   #623
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I don't like seeing Brady get hit, but I admit MNF was so awesome that I also shit myself.

It was weird to see 3 TDs followed by 3 3-and-outs. That worries me.

What people that don't follow NE on a week to week basis don't realize is that their run defense is actually pretty good. Their D overall gets maligned (rihtfully so) because their secondary is dreadful. The Talib trade and getting Chung and McCourty healthy for once has helped though.
Old December 11 2012, 12:59 PM   #624
Skywalker
Admiral

Their secondary really isn't dreadful anymore. Talib's been a pretty solid pickup, Dennard has come on strong in the latter half of the season, and McCourty is so much better at safety than he is at cornerback. I no longer worry when I see the opposing QB drop back like I did earlier in the season.
Old December 11 2012, 05:04 PM   #625
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Old December 11 2012, 05:43 PM   #626
Neroon
Mod of balance

Meet the new boss... same as the old boss!
- Proverbs 12:20
Old December 11 2012, 07:27 PM   #627
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^They haven't been boss in a while. The Giants own them, and before that they had a couple of shitty, home playoff losses.

If NE gets a bye, they might play on my birthday in the divisional round. The Tuck Rule Game was on my birthday, so I have a good feeling if they do.

Of course after the Super Bowl loss last season, my ex-wife called the next morning and said she wanted a divorce, so I donno if I what kind of luck I am.
Old December 12 2012, 01:18 AM   #628
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Keep going, Chiefs! 2-14 is within sight!
Old December 12 2012, 01:25 AM   #629
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Tagliabue has vacated the suspensions of all four Saints players punished in the initial Bounty rulings. His decision basically came down to the fact that while there was proof of inappropriate behavior (one article I read said he actually found indications of a bounty, another article said that it was just a general pay-for-performance fund), there was no behavior on the field to justify large suspensions or player fines. Vilma still plans to pursue his defamation lawsuit against Goodell.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 12 2012, 02:45 AM   #630
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Tagliabue has vacated the suspensions of all four Saints players punished in the initial Bounty rulings. His decision basically came down to the fact that while there was proof of inappropriate behavior (one article I read said he actually found indications of a bounty, another article said that it was just a general pay-for-performance fund), there was no behavior on the field to justify large suspensions or player fines. Vilma still plans to pursue his defamation lawsuit against Goodell.
Basically, the players are having their suspensions vacated only on the fact that individual appeals require such a high level of scrutiny that wasn't able to be met due to the active interference from the coaching staff with regards to the investigation. There was zero exoneration. Tagliabue affirmed basically everything Goodell concluded, but did not have enough to uphold the direct suspensions based upon the coaches muddying the water.

In other words, Tags just showed Goodell just how shitty of a commissioner he is and said, "That's right, bitch, now go make me a sandwich."
Closed Thread