Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 11 2012, 07:30 AM   #661
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Listened to some of The Enemy Within. What a great episode score that is.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 07:38 AM   #662
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Enemy Within as the first one I listened to. :-)

Friday's Child was the second. It's fascinating how much it sounds like a hybrid of Amok Time and Paradise Syndrome.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:06 AM   #663
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, mine has departed the Santa Clarita, CA sort facility. Hopefully I'll get it Monday.
"LaLa Land Employee3" informed me today that mine is on its way Down Under. I'm leaving Australia for the USA on the 23rd, so I strongly suspect the parcel and I may miss each other, and it'll have to sit here till I'm back a month later. Sigh.

ACE wrote: View Post
Many of us have waited 555 months for this set to be released. At $236.98 that's about 42.5 cents per month.

It's worth EVERY penny!
Totally agree!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 12:31 PM   #664
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
T'Grinch knows not of what he speaks.

Worth every dime, IMHO.
T'Grinch (T'Bonz) is a she.

Indysolo wrote: View Post

Worth every dime, IMHO.
Don't feed the troll. There, I said it.

Neil
Also a moderator, I believe.
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:16 PM   #665
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

T'Grinch wrote: View Post
You guys spent $225 on this? Good grief! I'd love the set, but that's a helluva lot of money for a hobby item.
Worth every dollar. Its rare to have decades-long dreams come true, so this is a 100% win!
Old December 11 2012, 03:28 PM   #666
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I got the set last night. I was listening to season 1 disc 5 and season 3 disc 5. This collection has some awesome stuff in it. So far the CDs do not show up with track names when trying to import them into iTunes, and grace note doesn't recognize them yet.

I really like the booklets that come with the set. The only thing I don't like about the set are the damn cases they used for the CDs, what a pain in the tail they are.

-Chris
Old December 11 2012, 03:56 PM   #667
Racer_X
Commander

Well, the USPS tracking status for my set was "Out for Delivery" all day yesterday, but was never delivered, and now the tracking says "Delivery status not updated" - and a quick Google search for this phrase indicates that it's not a positive sign. Hopefully it's just a minor problem, and my set will be delivered today, or I'll be an unhappy camper.

What's really frustrating is that I successfully receive multiple UPS & FedEx shipments on a weekly basis, but the only two shipping problems I've had this year have been with the Post Office - and ironically, both times it was for items purchased from La-La Land Records! Do they have bad mojo or what?

Why any company continues to use the US Post Office for their shipping is beyond me....
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:32 PM   #668
Christopher
Writer

I'm halfway through Disc 2 now. The bad news is, there's a lot of tape hiss on these early ones (I didn't notice as much on the samples from later scores). The good news is, at least I'm not developing presbycusis yet.

Another sense in which the audio quality is maybe a little too good -- I'd never realized how much vibrato there was in the flute performances in "The Cage." At first I thought there was something wrong with the disc making it sound warbly. I wasn't sure until I heard some more sustained notes from different instruments. It's going to take some getting used to.

I don't know if I ever noticed this before -- in "To Catch a T.," when Pike is strangling the Keeper and he transforms into a scary monster and there's this screaming shock/horror trumpet motif accompanying the change, the four-note phrase the motif is built around is the same as the first four notes of the Talosians' theme. Which makes perfect sense, of course, but I can't believe I never noticed that (or maybe I did but I forgot since it's been so long).

Another thing I'm not sure I ever consciously registered: in "Some Corpse" from "Where No Man," which I suppose was for the Mitchell-Dehner sickbay scene where he feigned death, the motif is nearly a reprise of "Vina's Theme," with a couple of extra notes added.

"The Man Trap" has never been a favorite score and it's never going to be. It's interestingly avant-garde, but very repetitive. Still, it provided a number of the most familiar tracked cues from season 1, particularly the act-outs. And it's an interesting companion piece with "Where No Man." They and "The Naked Time" are all based on Courage's second-pilot theme (and his "Captain's Theme" which makes its first appearance in the "Decision" cue in WNM) rather than the main title theme that all the other scores use heavily, so I guess you could say the three of them form a grouping; but WNM and TMT are particularly close in sound and style.

But "The Naked Time" is definitely my favorite Courage score from the pilots and season 1. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:44 PM   #669
Let the Good Times Roll!!

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Thread question:

This thread has been devoted to the announcement of the set, tons of questions and speculation about the set, answers and track listings, and finally people ordering it and receiving it.

Pretty soon we are going to want to talk about the contents, what we hear on the CDs. "When I was listening to season 1 disc 4, I noticed that..." Should we open a new thread or threads for that kind of discussion? Or just keep this one running?
In SFF they a Hobbit Anticipation thread and a Hobbit grading and discussion thread, so there is precedent for that. It's fine by me.

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post

Worth every dime, IMHO.

Worth every dime, IMHO.

Neil
She is actually the Head of the Entire Board. She's our boss.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:12 PM   #670
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post

She should get this box for "review purposes".

Another thing I'm not sure I ever consciously registered: in "Some Corpse" from "Where No Man," which I suppose was for the Mitchell-Dehner sickbay scene where he feigned death, the motif is nearly a reprise of "Vina's Theme," with a couple of extra notes added.
I always assumed it was tracked. I've run into a couple of those now. Mostly with Steiner. A little with Fried.

"The Man Trap" has never been a favorite score and it's never going to be. It's interestingly avant-garde, but very repetitive.
Amen.

They and "The Naked Time" are all based on Courage's second-pilot theme (and his "Captain's Theme" which makes its first appearance in the "Decision" cue in WNM) rather than the main title theme that all the other scores use heavily, so I guess you could say the three of them form a grouping; but WNM and TMT are particularly close in sound and style.

But "The Naked Time" is definitely my favorite Courage score from the pilots and season 1. I'm looking forward to listening to it.
I love that theme. WNMHGB is my favorite. But boy, if he went for "lonely" with Where No Man Has Gone Before he went for ABANDONED in The Man Trap. It's bleak!
Old December 11 2012, 05:24 PM   #671
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

I'm halfway through Disc 2 now. The bad news is, there's a lot of tape hiss on these early ones (I didn't notice as much on the samples from later scores).
TAPE HISS! Why was this not removed in the restoration?? I didn't notice any on the mp3 samples.
Dalen Quaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:25 PM   #672
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

(pout) Ordered mine mid-late last week, I think, and it still hasn't shipped.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:55 PM   #673
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Thread question:

This thread has been devoted to the announcement of the set, tons of questions and speculation about the set, answers and track listings, and finally people ordering it and receiving it.

Pretty soon we are going to want to talk about the contents, what we hear on the CDs. "When I was listening to season 1 disc 4, I noticed that..." Should we open a new thread or threads for that kind of discussion? Or just keep this one running?
In SFF they a Hobbit Anticipation thread and a Hobbit grading and discussion thread, so there is precedent for that. It's fine by me.

Neil

I know exactly who she is. It doesn't change the fact that she came into the thread simply to say she wasn't buying it because of the price, feigned surprise that others were indeed buying it and then disparagingly referred to the set as a "hobby item". She contributed nothing to the discussion, so what would you call that type of behavior? It sounds an awful lot like trolling to me.

Back to the set....I've never once been bothered by any sort of tape hiss on this set. In fact, I was amazed at the quality of those first two discs of Courage scores and the sound quality. And it's something we never would have removed. We wanted the sound of the original tapes to shine through. It's another reason why we didn't add any pseudo-stereo effects to the mono material. What you're hearing it what is on those original tapes.

Neil
Old December 11 2012, 05:56 PM   #674
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

The tape hiss is there, but if you remove too much tape hiss, you destroy the detail in the recording.

I don't think it's that severe, to be honest.

And apologies to T'Grinch.

I'm definately forming favorite scores with this set.

"Charlie X" has a ton of interesting cues, as does "The Enemy Within".

There are cues in The Enemy Within that reminds me of "The Devil in the Dark". I also get that "Devil" vibe from the final cue of "The Corbomite Maneuver", with Clint Howard's theme.

The Ruk material from "What are little girls made of?" is definately a hilight too.

I could go on talking about hilights and pretty much dump the track listings.

When I'm done ripping and tagging (WMP, using CD-Text as a starting point, filling in bklanks and organizing per episode/season etc.), I'll probably create a CDR of one or two "tracked" scores, with main and end titles, and some Audacity edits. Just for the fun of it.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 06:13 PM   #675
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Thread question:

I know exactly who she is. It doesn't change the fact that she came into the thread simply to say she wasn't buying it because of the price, feigned surprise that others were indeed buying it and then disparagingly referred to the set as a "hobby item". She contributed nothing to the discussion, so what would you call that type of behavior? It sounds an awful lot like trolling to me.
I was talking to BoredShipCapt'n who said he "believed she is a moderator." I was simply clarifying who she was.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote