A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

McWeeny has a theory about this movie

Drew McWeeny, one-time "Moriarty" over at Ain't It Cool News, took the Into Darkness press tour over at Bad Robot yesterday.

He has a theory about what Abrams is doing with this movie.

But… one last thing. In the trailer, you've seen the shot where Cumberbatch jumps, lands, and then swats a dude using a huge long hunk of metal. Well, that hunk of metal is what the crew on the film called "The Big Gun." That's what we were told during our tour, and as everyone was discussing it, we were standing in a room that had been specially set up for today's event.

And on the counter at the back of the room, there was a big book of production art that was open. Laying right there were anyone could see it. And on one of the two pages, there was a concept design sketch for that gun. But instead of "The Big Gun," it was called "April's Gatling Gun."

As in the gun that April uses. The gun that seems to belong to Cumberbatch in the trailer, which would suggest that Cumberbatch is April.

You see what I mean about misdirection? What if they intentionally left that there, open to that page, in the exact area where everyone was standing, just to help obfuscate everything even more?

Or… even crazier… what if they really didn't think anyone would pay attention to that, and that's really what they're doing for this film?

You can read his report about the tour and his theory in its entirety here:

Link

Well gee, why should anyone care about one more piece of speculation by another fan journalist on the Internet?

No special reason except for this, published by the self-same writer in August of 2007:

Because evidently the plan is to use this second timeline as a way of rebooting without erasing or ignoring canon. These new voyages of the ENTERPRISE, they’re taking place in whatever timeline starts with this story. Maybe this timeline features dramatic differences. Like... say... if Vulcan were to be blown up. If the Vulcans in the series were suddenly the last of their kind, alone in the universe, it would change who they are and maybe even redefine their strict rejection of emotion in favor of logic.
Full article here.

Whatever else one thinks of him, McWeeny is a rarity on the net: instead of pretending he knows when he's just guessing, he sometimes pretends to be guessing when he's got real information.

We'll see.

Some other interesting tidbits:

We visited Props and Costumes first, where, as if to make people crazy, Alice Eve was revealed to us today to be playing Carol Marcus. You know… the woman from "Wrath Of Khan" who had an affair with Kirk and who is raising his son? That does not appear to be her role here, though, so it'll be fun to see how they introduce her. For example, also in the film? Admiral Marcus, who is evidently her father.

Qo'noS, the home planet of the Klingons, is definitely in the film, and we saw an outfit of hers (a formal dress Naval miniskirt ensemble that did a great job of evoking the awesome aesthetic of the original show), an outfit of his, and most notably, a Klingon warrior's armor. They've been sure to incorporate things like the original design elements like the Klingon's symbol, but with lots of new touches as well. We saw Spock's volcano suit, a great practical bit of design that took four months from idea to final execution, and we heard how important it was for Abrams to make sure you'd see the flames reflecting on the suit to help sell the volcano sequence. We saw Uhura's wetsuit, complete with jetboots to help propel her underwater, which you'll see on Zoe Saldana in the 9-minute IMAX 3D prologue that's playing in front of these engagements of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey". 3D IMAX wetsuit-wearing Zoe Saldana? Are you sure this isn't a Christmas movie?

We also saw the robes that Kirk and Bones (Karl Urban) are wearing when they're fleeing from a group of aliens in that same prologue, and some of the props designed for the film as well. Things like the phasers and the communicators and the tricorders are all careful to fit into the new design of the film while still evoking the classic designs. For example, you'll see there's a mesh piece on the communicator cover now that wasn't there before but that suggests the look of the originals.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Pondslider
Lieutenant

Re: McWeeny has a theory about this movie

I'll bet Peter Weller is Admiral Marcus. That could be a CEO type.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
urbandk
Commodore

great write-up from a sharp journalist. thanks for sharing.
Old December 11 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Pondslider wrote: View Post
I'll bet Peter Weller is Admiral Marcus. That could be a CEO type.
Now there's a point. Weller did say at one point that "I have my own ship."
Old December 11 2012, 03:34 PM   #5
urbandk
Commodore

I have to say, I had my own B/S April theory yesterday without even seeing behind the scenes images. My B/S needs no explanation.
Old December 11 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Pondslider
Lieutenant

The April theory makes some sense especially considering the writers already gone to TAS for parts of the first movie.

Last edited by Pondslider; December 11 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:49 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They're both British, but I can't see Cumberbatch as Robert April, nor April having a BFG. Why? Orci and Kurtzman based their version of George Kirk on Diane Carey's, from her novels Final Frontier (no relation to STV) and Best Destiny - and in those books, Robert April was a pacifist. To the extent that when it came time to open fire on the Romulans, he chose to turn command of the Enterprise over to George rather than order the attack himself.
Old December 11 2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Orci and Kurtzman are not the only writers on this movie.
Old December 11 2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Jeyl
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Orci and Kurtzman are not the only writers on this movie.
Yeah. They brought in Damon Lindelof to write the story as well. Jury is still out on whether or not that's a good thing.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They're both British, but I can't see Cumberbatch as Robert April, nor April having a BFG. Why? Orci and Kurtzman based their version of George Kirk on Diane Carey's, from her novels Final Frontier (no relation to STV) and Best Destiny - and in those books, Robert April was a pacifist. To the extent that when it came time to open fire on the Romulans, he chose to turn command of the Enterprise over to George rather than order the attack himself.
Given that it appears the villain suffered some sort of trauma (why else would he be bent on revenge?), he could have been a pacifist before, but isn't now.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Of course, "April's Gatling Gun" could always mean a design sketch for a Gatling Gun prop needed for filming in April. A timeframe just about within the shooting schedule, since they began in January and finished 4 or 5 months after.
Old December 11 2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Borgminister

I'm just glad they didn't name it Porthos' Gatling Gun...
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:27 PM   #13
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Maybe John has a different gun for each month of the year. For variety. April's Gatling gun, May's rocket launcher etc

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Well, that sort of plays into my (admittedly far-fetched) theory over at the trailer-thread that somehow this whole movie ties into the Tarsus-massacre. I know it's not canon - but in the "Enterprise Logs" it was April in command of the Enterprise who got delayed by Klingons in bringing aid to Tarsus IV and so they arrived too late...

Of course, he can't be the captain of the Enterprise prior to Pike since the Enterprise was built later than in TOS, but he could have had command over another ship etc. And that could also explain the troubles with the Klingons... revenge against both, Klingons and Starfleet... OTOH, Cumberbatch (although he seems a bit bulkier and aged up) isn't old enough to be April - but he could still be a survivor, perhaps that guy with the eye patch that got killed by Karidian's daughter at the beginning of "The Conscience of the King".
Old December 11 2012, 04:31 PM   #15
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I also find it funny they've got an actor called Joseph Gatt to play a similarly named android! GATT2000? Porky pies.

Now if anybody in this sequel were indeed playing Khan, I'd have put money on it being him...

He's got the hulking physical presence but at the same time, intelligent staring eyes.

Plus he's the one Brit they've cast, who could perhaps convince as a genetically engineered Sikh.

Which of course means, he's probably hidden under a helmet or lots of latex, playing a Klingon.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote