Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 10 2012, 11:22 PM   #1591
Salinga
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Season 2 is a good cause for a drinking game: For every DNR'd sequence and lighting pass errors one goes down.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:20 AM   #1592
throwback
Captain

For "The Schizoid Man", I noticed a serious flaw with Gravesworld. I have never seen this before.

Imagine the planet. The side facing the sun is directed towards the right. Now, follow the curve of the planet as it approaches the north pole. Near the pole, there is an area of intense light reflection where the color of the planet is washed out by a circular patch. What could cause that?

For me, this episode has been the worst in vfx. The planet feels like it is a cardboard cutout being hung in front of a starry background by an invisible wire.

I, also, notice that the Lantree's hull color is the same as the Repulse.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:59 AM   #1593
Trekker82
Lieutenant

I've only watched a few of the episodes on Season 3 bluray (Peak Performance and Emissary) and so far I think the quality is decent, there were a few complaints such as some of the ships looked a little too plastic-y and the planets a little blurry but overall I am happy. With that said, I do hope that Season 3 is done better. I'm Currently watching Q Who.

Question,

At the end of Peak Performance when the camera is moving away from the Enterprise, I noticed for the very first time that you can see people walking around in the red spherical are on top of the ship... I can't remember the name of it. Has anyone else noticed this on the DVDs or is it new the the Blurays due to the clarity?
Old December 11 2012, 04:09 AM   #1594
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Example? Only time I recall them being off were times when they were "supposed to be off." Unless you looking at the back of the nacelles which aren't quite as well lit as the sides of the nacelles.
Here's an example. And there are couple of shots like that in the episode. Even if it's the rear part of the nacelle, there is enough of it showing that the glowing blue effect should be noticeable.
I dunno, it MIGHT be the part of the nacelles that aren't as well lit. I'm pretty sure the engine and deflector lights were on the same lighting pass, if not then a missed pass is likely the result. IIRC when those ships approach it's got an odd "stiffness" to it like it's one of those "digital mattes" they did in the S1 set.
Old December 11 2012, 05:13 AM   #1595
Mott the barber
Commodore

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
I've only watched a few of the episodes on Season 3 bluray (Peak Performance and Emissary) and so far I think the quality is decent, there were a few complaints such as some of the ships looked a little too plastic-y and the planets a little blurry but overall I am happy. With that said, I do hope that Season 3 is done better. I'm Currently watching Q Who.

Question,

At the end of Peak Performance when the camera is moving away from the Enterprise, I noticed for the very first time that you can see people walking around in the red spherical are on top of the ship... I can't remember the name of it. Has anyone else noticed this on the DVDs or is it new the the Blurays due to the clarity?

If you're talking about the standard warp away shot used at the end of the show intro, yes there are "people" walking around the observation lounge. The S1 blu ray extras reveal for the first time that it was actually a crude animated pencil drawing.
Pretty cool, and yes it is visibly (but fuzzy) on he DVDs and original airings.
Old December 11 2012, 06:44 AM   #1596
Scotty
Rear Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
Okuna was just as bad as I remembered it. I'm not sure why there's so much needless explaining of the character in the first act. "Oh, he's a rogue" "Yes, he's a rogue and he does rogueish things" "Oh yes, like a rogue".
You forgot his rogueish charm!
Old December 11 2012, 09:02 AM   #1597
beamMe
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I watched Contagion, The Royale and Time Squared last night and all three looked perfectly fine in motion.
In Time Squared when the Enterprise falls into the vortex, the lighting-passes aren't aligned perfectly. At least one pass flickers around the ships.
I didn't notice and I was watching on my 40" screen.
My 58" 21:9 Philips screen told another story.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:59 PM   #1598
Reeborg
Commander

How can I get rid of the black side lines? I tried already any kind of zoom on the TV AND the HD-player. Strangely, I can only zoom vertically but horizontally it (almost) stays the same.

Does anybody of you have the BD in full screen on a 16x9 format????
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:04 PM   #1599
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Why do you want to cut of one third of the picture?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:20 PM   #1600
Mott the barber
Commodore

Reeborg wrote: View Post
How can I get rid of the black side lines? I tried already any kind of zoom on the TV AND the HD-player. Strangely, I can only zoom vertically but horizontally it (almost) stays the same.

Does anybody of you have the BD in full screen on a 16x9 format????
There's probably some stretch view that will do it but the result will be that you're skewing and potentially zooming in on a HD picture which will end up significantly lowering the quality of the picture, the improvement of which was the whole purpose of the remastering. Don't get me wrong, I too wish they originally filmed in widescreen, but for optimal viewing quality, we're stuck with 4:3.
Old December 11 2012, 03:54 PM   #1601
Reeborg
Commander

Tosk wrote: View Post
Maybe because it's just black "unused" screen?
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:15 PM   #1602
Jeyl
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I dunno, it MIGHT be the part of the nacelles that aren't as well lit. I'm pretty sure the engine and deflector lights were on the same lighting pass, if not then a missed pass is likely the result. IIRC when those ships approach it's got an odd "stiffness" to it like it's one of those "digital mattes" they did in the S1 set.
Here is another screen shot that closely matches the camera's angle on the Enterprise. You see even less of the engine in this shot, but you still see the blue glow.

Screenshot
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:18 PM   #1603
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If you use the 'zoom' function the top and bottom of the picture will be cut off as well. If you use the 'stretch' function, the picture will be distorted.
Old December 11 2012, 05:15 PM   #1604
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I was hoping I would not notice all the errors you guys have been pointing out but they are everywhere
Old December 11 2012, 05:32 PM   #1605
beamMe
Fleet Captain

It's not "unused". It really is unused.
There is no information there; it's the same issue you had with 16:9 or wider aspect ratios on the old 4:3 TV-screens.

You can only fill your screen by either losing actual picture information on the top and bottom ends or by stretching the picture. Neither will improve the picture quality.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote