Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 12 2012, 10:36 PM   #166
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hi Callea - sorry didn't say hello sooner!

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk - RUN!" Quark
kirsten187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 10:09 PM   #167
Bamarren
Lieutenant

Hey everyone!

Another DS9'er reporting in. Watched through DS9 again at the start of the year, and have to say, the more I watch it the more I love it. Even though I grew up with TOS and TNG, DS9 remains my favourite, love it to bits, especially Garak and Sisko - Avery Brooks has one of the best voices ever on TV, I reckon I could listen to him talking about scratching himself for an hour and still find it interesting!

(This post is sounding a lot stranger than I had intented!)

Anyway!

Started into some of the Star Trek books, got a few read, A Stitch in Time being my favourite so far, then for working into more DS9 centric ones when I get the chance.

I may be a new recruit as of tonight, but Ive been a long time lurker around these parts!

Anyway, hello all and hope to join in where I can!
Bamarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 11:50 PM   #168
VulcanJedi
Captain

After casually watching a show here and there, over many years, and finally getting to around season five, I like DS9 now. Dax, Terry Farrell, is probably one of the loveliest, most charming actresses to ever grace the Trek screen.

I've learned to appreciate Avery Brook's character. Dr. Bashir is a unique character, the charming, skilled wolf? Sort of a slimier version of Kirk? I actually like the Ferengi, especially the one who sounds like "Which way did he go George."

Did I mention Dax?

My favorite character is Miles O'Brien. With this character, you get a sort of, average, (relatively speaking) starfleet average Joe kind of guy, plus he's Irish and drinks whiskey. And of course it's great to see more of Worf.

Yup---like the show. But, obviously, the average viewer and even Trek fan is not going to take the time to appreciate this program as it just seemed to move too slow and be a little too caught in diplomacy and such for a quick thrill.

I really, don't think I'll ever give Enterprise the same treatment. I just don't care about that one. But, because so many fans avowed this incarnation of Trek, I decided it was worth the effort and I'm glad I tried. DS9 is kind of a trekker's Trek. I now believe, surprisingly, some love should be shown for DS9 and hope to see some kind of a cameo in the new trek films from something or somebody from DS9. I may even try a novel. I look forward to finishing the series.
Old November 20 2012, 07:26 PM   #169
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Disillusioned wrote: View Post
Anyway, I didn't see any introduction thread in here, so I hope no one minds that I made my own.
on the contrary! It's an excellent idea

Fellow Niner reporting in.

I'm a fan of the DS9 Klingons (Worf, Martok, Kang, Koloth, Kor, Alexander. Not so much of Gowron - he's too sneaky imh. Not really honourable). I like the way they gain character both as persons and as a people in that series. A quantum leap from the TOS or even the TNG Klingons.

My favourite epi is Klingon-free, though: Profit and Lace. Mooghie is just so cool! Love the way she shows the guys that she has bigger lobes for business than they have.

As a general rule, DS9 has far more strong female characters than the other series. There are not only the regulars (Dax and Kira) but also a lot of recurring characters like Kai Opaka, Kai Winn, Mooghie, Tora Ziyal or the female Shapeshifter. And rather a lot of one-epi characters like the female Vorta, Grilka, Dax's ex-wife etc.
Even Quark's barmaid and Keiko, usually rather one-dimensional characters had a few really strong episodes.
Old November 21 2012, 12:21 AM   #170
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Hey guys! I'm 'new' to this forum. Not really new because I was active like ten years ago, I think it was during season 6-7 of Voyager.

Back then I hated DS9 because it sort of countermanded Gene Roddenberry's thesis on humanity. Now I would rank DS9 about equally with TNG, DS9 having the best overall vision and TNG having the best individual episodes.

I'm not sure I agree that DS9 aged that much better than TNG and Voyager. I think a lot of fans to the series go back to TNG on Netflix and watch the first season first, which absolutely did age terribly, but discounting TNG's first two seasons, I think all the seven-season modern Treks aged about equally well. Just, DS9 now seems more current because Battlestar Galactica picked up on its ideology and the idealism of TNG and Voyager comes off as passe due to certain world events.

I hadn't watched Star Trek in years but now with the help of Netflix I'm reconnecting with the three non-terrible modern Treks.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 06:18 PM   #171
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

welcome back I too 've been around 10 years ago but I don't recall your current name. Did you change it when you re-registered?
Old November 23 2012, 05:57 PM   #172
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Hi there!

I got into Deep Space Nine a little later than most, having almost exclusively ignored it for the majority of its initial run, preferring TNG and Voyager when I was younger. Having gone back and watched through the series a few years after the fact, I realized how profoundly amazing the show is. If I had to choose the best, most watchable Trek series of them all, from start to finish, with the least amount of poor episodes, DS9 takes the cake.

And I'm constantly amazed how well they were able to maintain the quality and uniformity of characterization from start to finish. Characters evolved, but they didn't act weird and unlike themselves early on, as in TNG. I was just watching "Emissary," and I'm amazed at the high level of quality so early in the series, as well as the breadth of philosophical ideas--the conversations Sisko has with the Prophets about the nature of linear time are absolutely fascinating. It deals with more interesting ideas than any of the other series premiers. DS9, if anything, is clearly the smartest of any of the shows, with the most professional writing and stellar actors of all. TNG will always be my emotional favorite, because that show made me fall in love with Trek, but DS9 is more enjoyable as a whole series.

Anyway, just reporting in. Hi.
Old December 6 2012, 04:40 AM   #173
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
welcome back I too 've been around 10 years ago but I don't recall your current name. Did you change it when you re-registered?
I don't know what my name was back then, it might have had something to do with the Sopranos.

Though I'm not sure I want anyone to remember me back then

I remember I was vocally anti-DS9 back then and I ran a big best episode of TNG poll which Best of Both Worlds predictably won.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 10:42 PM   #174
rocketdave
Ensign

I still remember seeing my first ad for DS9. Literally all it said was "Coming this January... Star Trek: Deep Space Nine." Being at the peak of my fanaticism, seeing an announcement of anything new related to Star Trek was enough to cause an immediate moment of pure spazzing out. To my embarrassment, I recall leaping across the room going, "Yes!" (at least I was home by myself) before stopping short and saying to myself, "Wait, what the hell is that? A new movie?"

I was very excited at the start of the series, but after the pilot, my viewership was spotty throughout the first season. Somewhere along the way, however, I realized that it had become my favorite out of all the Star Trek series.
rocketdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:34 PM   #175
Felidae
Lieutenant

Well, finally getting into watching DS9 myself now.. apart from TOS it was the only Trek I had left that I hadn't watched recently, so for lack of Trek, I started with this again. Wasn't too fond of it the first time I watched it, never got very far either. I usually like the new locations, planets, nebulas etc that are visited in Trek, so this series is quite different.
But it's growing on me again.. not too big a fan of Sisko, but I love Odo and even Quark, while usually me and Ferengi.. no.
Felidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:10 AM   #176
Ryva Brall
Commander

I take it this is the official welcome thread. I guess that means I should introduce myself. Hi everyone! I've been a Trek fan since I was about ten. I love TNG and (for mostly nostalgic reasons) Voyager, and I eventually plan on watching TOS. But right now I'm re-watching my all-time favorite Trek series, DS9, to remind myself how unbelievably awesome it is. I look forward to discussing it with fellow fans!

- Ryva
Ryva Brall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 04:50 AM   #177
PaulMarshall
Ensign

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Hey guys! I'm 'new' to this forum. Not really new because I was active like ten years ago, I think it was during season 6-7 of Voyager.

Back then I hated DS9 because it sort of countermanded Gene Roddenberry's thesis on humanity. Now I would rank DS9 about equally with TNG, DS9 having the best overall vision and TNG having the best individual episodes.

I'm not sure I agree that DS9 aged that much better than TNG and Voyager. I think a lot of fans to the series go back to TNG on Netflix and watch the first season first, which absolutely did age terribly, but discounting TNG's first two seasons, I think all the seven-season modern Treks aged about equally well. Just, DS9 now seems more current because Battlestar Galactica picked up on its ideology and the idealism of TNG and Voyager comes off as passe due to certain world events.

I hadn't watched Star Trek in years but now with the help of Netflix I'm reconnecting with the three non-terrible modern Treks.
Netflix has it?! Awesome!
PaulMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 06:13 AM   #178
Ryva Brall
Commander

Yeah, the 'Flix has all of the Trek series on instant watch. It's pretty great. It's how I've been re-watching DS9.
Ryva Brall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 05:56 PM   #179
jmiller
Ensign

Hello fellow Trekkers. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a huge huge fan of DS9. I think it's fair to say its the Star Trek that doesn't feel like a Star Trek, and I ultimately think it's a good thing. Instead of having one random adventure after another, flying throughout the galaxy, DS9 was able to offer more intriguing storylines, greater character development, more emotion, and a more enjoyable series. I admit, I enjoy Voyager (with all of the BS episodes and terrible writing) and I still like TNG, but DS9 will be my favorite series until there's a new one that's better. Anyway, hope all of you welcome me into the forum. Thanks.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 07:22 PM   #180
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Welcome new Residents, always room for one more

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote