Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 05:28 AM   #166
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
All the time people have been bleating about how Eve's character's haircut looks exactly like Dehner's (it doesn't), they certainly never considered that Carol Marcus wore hers short and blonde as well.
It's pretty close in this shot...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 06:03 AM   #167
datalogan
Lieutenant Commander

The brief family scene with the BC villain doesn't tell us much. Still not clear who BC character is. But it's interesting that he's apparently trying to help save a girl. It may hint at just how his motivations might be very understandable. Or he could be just trying to goad/? the parents to give him something in exchange for helping their daughter. What would he need? And how does he have medical abilities that exceed that of a london hospital?
Still not sure if he's Gary Mitchell (not-quite-all-powerful-but-still-fairly-powerful) or Garth of Izar (with cellular metamorphosis abilities) or Section 31 agent (with stolen advanced medical knowledge [like from the Fabrini or something]), or John Harrison (random Starfleet flunkie from 27 episodes of TOS).
It's interesting that he's already on Earth. Gary Mitchell already returned from the coffin in space he was left in? Or Garth already out of the insane asylum? Or something else? Enemy from within, indeed.

Why are Kirk and McCoy stealing scrolls from the natives? How could that possibly help the situation? Or was it just a misunderstanding? Guess we'll find out in the prequel comics.

I do like how the movie is using the preferred--from my view--TOS interpretation of the Prime Directive. Not the TNG/VOY version where "we must stand by while the pre-warp aliens are horribly killed".

There has been a point made in the comics that Spock has been risking his life more and more. Uhura has talked to him about it. [See issue #6.] She thinks he's still grieving the loss of his mother and world and that that is impairing his judgement. He's making choices that "ignore all sense of self-preservation." Maybe trying too hard to save others at the expense of himself. To this, all Spock would say is that he would try to change . . . "as circumstances require." Now he's volunteered to go into a volcano? [Hey, a Vulcan in a volcano.] What does that say about Spock's reasoning? Couldn't they have gotten a drone to do it, or something?

Vektor wrote: View Post
In the TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday," the Enterprise was shown operating in Earth's atmosphere only a few thousand feet above ground and slowly enough for a jet fighter to briefly keep up with it. It has been established that the Enterprise will not actually collapse under its own weight in planetary gravity, and that it can achieve orbit without being built there and so forth.
So, no issue with Enterprise being ABLE to go under water on a planet. But that still begs the question as to WHY she would. (Really, I don't care too much, any little excuse will be worth seeing the cool shot of Enterprise rise out of water, as long as it's not completely stupid.) Maybe she needs to be down there to do whatever it is they are doing to quiet the volcano.

Last edited by datalogan; December 11 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: quote attribution -- sorry about that
datalogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 06:17 AM   #168
mos6507
Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Well the simple answer to both is they are visually awesome for a film goer to see, and Abrams is concerned with producing and directing bankable and popular Trek that appeals to those outside of the traditional Trek fan-kingdom.
In other words--a sellout.
Old December 11 2012, 06:21 AM   #169
mos6507
Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
And the answer is: this is cinema and it's something we've never seen before.
Novelty is overrated. People still enjoy Shakespeare even when they know the story. Tell a well-crafted story and you don't need "teasers".
Old December 11 2012, 06:33 AM   #170
Sparky
Commodore

mos6507 wrote: View Post

"sellout." That oft used word shouted by butthurt fanboys who want time to stand still just for them. Get over yourself.
Old December 11 2012, 07:33 AM   #171
indranee
Vice Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
He's handsome, but I don't understand why they would do such a thing.

Unless they wanted to create an original character with a name in canon. As Orci said, his character is indeed from canon but we all assumed it would be somebody big. So this way, 1) Orci told the truth, 2) they can still create a completely new character, and 3) it gives a little service to the really fanboy-ish fans.
Yeah, and this particular stone kills yet another bird. This "extra" appeared in 27 TOS episodes, right? If so, what better way is there to ensure at least the first two seasons of TOS get re-watched over and over again by at least a billion people?

*opens up netflix account*

indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:01 AM   #172
Vektor
Rear Admiral

datalogan wrote: View Post
And in the TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday," the Enterprise was shown operating in Earth's atmosphere only a few thousand feet above ground and slowly enough for a jet fighter to briefly keep up with it. It has been established that the Enterprise will not actually collapse under its own weight in planetary gravity, and that it can achieve orbit without being built there and so forth.
Wow, that's an absolutely brilliant point. I sure wish I'd been smart enough to come up with something like that.
Old December 11 2012, 08:17 AM   #173
mos6507
Captain

Sparky wrote: View Post

"sellout." That oft used word shouted by butthurt fanboys who want time to stand still just for them. Get over yourself.
If you don't like fans with strong opinions, you've picked the wrong place to hang out. Deal with it.
Old December 11 2012, 08:25 AM   #174
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Vektor wrote: View Post
datalogan wrote: View Post
And in the TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday," the Enterprise was shown operating in Earth's atmosphere only a few thousand feet above ground and slowly enough for a jet fighter to briefly keep up with it. It has been established that the Enterprise will not actually collapse under its own weight in planetary gravity, and that it can achieve orbit without being built there and so forth.
Wow, that's an absolutely brilliant point. I sure wish I'd been smart enough to come up with something like that.
Pretty amazing, that.

I've edited the post to correctly reflect the quote attribution for that passage. datalogan, you'll want to be more careful about that in the future - if you're quoting verbatim something from someone else's post, please show that you're quoting and from whom by using the quote function.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:35 AM   #175
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Sparky wrote: View Post

If you don't like fans with strong opinions, you've picked the wrong place to hang out. Deal with it.

What is being sold out?

07 Geese a Laying wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
All the time people have been bleating about how Eve's character's haircut looks exactly like Dehner's (it doesn't), they certainly never considered that Carol Marcus wore hers short and blonde as well.
It's pretty close in this shot...

No, it's not. That's a completely different hair-do.
Even if it were the same, it wouldn't be evidence in favour for anything.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:36 AM   #176
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Novelty is overrated. People still enjoy Shakespeare even when they know the story. Tell a well-crafted story and you don't need "teasers".
Excellent. But Shakespeare wasn't a movie director. This is not just a story, again, this is cinema: images are projected on a screen. And that's not just a trivial point: thinking visually is the whole point of a director's job.
Old December 11 2012, 10:14 AM   #177
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

More than anything Dehner was a one off and insignificant character. She was barely a step above a red shirt.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 12:27 PM   #178
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

If you don't like fans with strong opinions, you've picked the wrong place to hang out.
God, I love it when people who barely got here say stuff like this to those who have been here for over a decade.
Old December 11 2012, 02:11 PM   #179
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Ok she is not a dead ringer of Dehner! That been the biggest BS I have read on this movie. She just another blonde with a similar hair cut. We never saw a young Carol Marcus, they probably just decided to give her a 60s style hair style.
Young Carol Marcus, from the cover of 2010's Inception by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison (set in 2261)
Old December 11 2012, 02:29 PM   #180
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I'll take Abrams retool of Star Trek any day over that abortion of film Star Trek Nemesis where the antagonist in the film was about as foreboding as a french runway model.

Oh and I'll also take Abrams redux of Trek over ST Insurrection as well.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote