Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 06:44 AM   #76
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
The only reason I've backed off Garthism is that Cumby is just too young to play the character. He's the same age as Pine, and Garth should be Pike's contemporary.
Cumberbatch is 4 years older than Pine. Not a huge umber, but I do believe Kirk is supposed to be a bit younger than Pine is. I could easily buy that Kirk is younger than Garth.
Old December 11 2012, 07:51 AM   #77
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: And Cumberbatch's Character Is? [spoilers]

It's hardly an established fact that Cumberbatch's John Harrison has anything whatsoever to do with the recurring extra from those 27 TOS episodes, even if the name isn't just an alias.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is why they would bother with the whole "I have returned to have my vengeance" angle with a character we've never seen or heard of before. Not to say it isn't possible to introduce a brand new character, fill in his back story with a plausible motive for vengeance and make the whole thing work, it just seems... odd.
Old December 11 2012, 08:26 AM   #78
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Sounds like an alias name to me, so they can stall in revealing his actual name until the last possible minute.
Old December 11 2012, 08:32 AM   #79
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Vektor wrote: View Post
It's hardly an established fact that Cumberbatch's John Harrison has anything whatsoever to do with the recurring extra from those 27 TOS episodes, even if the name isn't just an alias.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is why they would bother with the whole "I have returned to have my vengeance" angle with a character we've never seen or heard of before. Not to say it isn't possible to introduce a brand new character, fill in his back story with a plausible motive for vengeance and make the whole thing work, it just seems... odd.
After thinking some more, I believe enhanced John Harrison could be a double agent that was sent on a secret mission either by Section 31 or Starfleet to the Klingon home world to retrieve Nero’s papers he wrote while in prison at Rura Penthe. Think about it. Those were very important technological papers the Klingons probably studied and it would connect this movie to the first movie in this trilogy.

Last edited by Shilliam Watner; December 11 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:37 PM   #80
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Even if the movie doesn't actually confirm he is the same character, everyone is going to assume he is anyway. And when Pocket Books is finally able to do novels set in the Abramsverse, they may well decide to make the connection.
The IDW comics have already told us that "Cupcake" is the minor canonical redshirt Hendorff, from TOS. They recently centred a whole issue about him.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:48 PM   #81
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
The concept of an extra being a big shot in an alternate universe (especially with a near 50 year gap between productions), is something that just cannot work when you are making a film aimed at majority audiences.
Zod, Non and Ursa were barely even name-dropped in the first "Superman" movie, yet they were the featured villains of "Superman II". They didn't start out as extras, of course, but definitely only cameos.
Old December 11 2012, 02:02 PM   #82
Pondslider
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Mr Silver wrote: View Post
The concept of an extra being a big shot in an alternate universe (especially with a near 50 year gap between productions), is something that just cannot work when you are making a film aimed at majority audiences.
Zod, Non and Ursa were barely even name-dropped in the first "Superman" movie, yet they were the featured villains of "Superman II". They didn't start out as extras, of course, but definitely only cameos.
Zod was a character from the comics long before Superman 2 though.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:24 PM   #83
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
The only reason I've backed off Garthism is that Cumby is just too young to play the character. He's the same age as Pine, and Garth should be Pike's contemporary.
I wouldn't worry about ages at this point. They made Chekov a few years older in this timeline so he could be on the bridge inthe last movie. Everyone has been fudged with.
Old December 11 2012, 02:27 PM   #84
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Even if the movie doesn't actually confirm he is the same character, everyone is going to assume he is anyway. And when Pocket Books is finally able to do novels set in the Abramsverse, they may well decide to make the connection.
I can't wait for the effect on the TOS Prime novels...

Glancing over at Hairrison, Kirk wondered if the competent-yet-uninspired officer would ever amount to anything. Maybe in another life...
Old December 11 2012, 02:33 PM   #85
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Pondslider wrote: View Post
Sure, but as a former child viewer of TV's "The Adventures of Superman", and only an occasional comic reader, I'd never heard of Zod. He may as well have been an extra.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can't wait for the effect on the TOS Prime novels...
"When the Enterprise staged a raid against a Romulan space station in orbit of Levaeri V in 2275, Harrison was one of the hundred-odd crewpeople chosen to participate. Harrison had to be helped along in the push through the station as he was injured early on in the fighting." (TOS - Rihannsu novel: My Enemy, My Ally)
Old December 11 2012, 02:51 PM   #86
Pondslider
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Pondslider wrote: View Post
Sure, but as a former child viewer of TV's "The Adventures of Superman", and only an occasional comic reader, I'd never heard of Zod. He may as well have been an extra.
Not having heard of a character is a lot different than building a movie around a "character" that was nothing more than name and a shirt at his most fleshed out.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:04 PM   #87
urbandk
Commodore

I expect to be wrong about all of this of course, but...

GATT2000 could be a cyborg augment who is dedicated to bringing back Khan. Harrison could be a sleeper augment or clone of Khan who is activated in the film. As far as TOS Harrison goes, he might have been the same clone but never activated or never known who he actually was.
Old December 11 2012, 03:08 PM   #88
The Wormhole
Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Has anyone ID'd who Weller is playing yet?
All we know about Weller is that he is a "CEO type" with his own starship.

My personal theory is that he's Commander Starfleet.

Last edited by The Wormhole; December 11 2012 at 03:32 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:17 PM   #89
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Has anyone ID'd who Weller is playing yet?
Nope, he was said to be playing someone in charge of a CEO wasn't he? I've read some speculation that Harrison could be a Section 31 agent, if that organisation is involved I could imagine Peter Weller being the head of it, or at least a major player. Abrams does like the government conspiracies doesn't he. Hey, maybe they even discover the Botany Bay and revive Khan, which could be the tease for the third film.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:22 PM   #90
urbandk
Commodore

I think you're on to something with the Section 31 angle. In the trailer, Harrison says the peace the Federation enjoys is a comforting illusion. Perhaps Section 31 has "bought" that peace at a high price, perhaps by secretly employing augments etc. I don't think TrekMovie was wrong to claim that the character is Khan months ago. I strongly suspect there is a Khan/Harrison connection.