Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 10 2012, 11:31 PM   #1
JWolf
Commodore

Essential Star Trek Novels That Even Non-Trekkers Should Read

I cannot say that this is an all inclusive list or even a correct list, but it is out there so have a read.

http://io9.com/5967305/essential-sta...es-should-read
Old December 10 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Jarrod
Ensign

Re: Essential Star Trek Novels That Even Non-Trekkers Should Read

I think that this article would be more successful if it were not primarily consisted of novels which have not seen the light of day, let alone publication, in over a decade.
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 11:56 PM   #3
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

It doesn't feature even a single book published in the last 11 years. I guess it's true what one angry fan wrote in a review of my novel A Time to Heal — I killed Star Trek fiction.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 12:08 AM   #4
bfollowell
Commander

David Mack wrote: View Post
It doesn't feature even a single book published in the last 11 years. I guess it's true what one angry fan wrote in a review of my novel A Time to Heal — I killed Star Trek fiction.

David, if you killed Star Trek fiction, then I wish you were a serial killer!

- Byron
Old December 11 2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

There's a couple on there that I'd put amongst the best of Treklit, and a few I wouldn't.

Either way, I don't think any of them would find an audience (or appreciation) outside of Trekkies/ers, regardless of quality.
Old December 11 2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Sky
Captain

What? No Strangers from the Sky? No Spock's World? And instead Stephen, the laughing Vulcan man of magic?
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 12:59 AM   #7
JWolf
Commodore

bfollowell wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post

David, if you killed Star Trek fiction, then I wish you were a serial killer!

- Byron
I am a cereal killer.
Old December 11 2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I still like current Trek fiction, but it is a little bit tough to get into for casual readers. I can see why they cut it off once it started getting more serialized.
Old December 11 2012, 01:16 AM   #9
WarsTrek1993
Captain

The Buried Age is a novel that should be on that list! I'd say it should be read by anyone who's just starting to watch TNG.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Sho
Fleet Captain

I don't really think an age cut-off is much of an issue with an article like this. It's natural that you end up listing "time-tested" stuff.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:32 AM   #11
Markonian
Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
I don't really think an age cut-off is much of an issue with an article like this. It's natural that you end up listing "time-tested" stuff.
But 11 years is a bit much, isn't it? Even Destiny is old by now, Imho.

BTW, are you going to open a rate/review thread for Federation: The First 150 Years?
Old December 11 2012, 02:36 AM   #12
bbailey861
Admiral

I forced myself to read both the article and this thread a couple of times. My initial reaction was 'how could you leave out X and X and X', essentially mirroring Mr. Mack's thoughts. Perhaps though, the biggest issue I have is that I just think the list is too limited. There are just too many books out there, spanning decades of work, to keep it at a dozen. I don't believe there was any malice in the choices, any desire to leave out or disregard any current author's work. While picking a dozen books out of hundreds is a daunting task, I think for a Star Trek novice, the choices represented are not bad ones and I certainly respect Anders reasoning that she gives for choosing those particular reads. There are simply many more books out there that could be added to the list.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:57 AM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

My first reaction to the list was, "This list is awful." Then then I thought hard about the question the headline asked, and I rephrased it in a way that took into account the target audience -- "What Star Trek book do you give to a non-Star Trek fan?" Once I internalized that, the reasoning behind some of the choices made sense to me -- they're either historically significant books (like Spock Must Die!), books by authors people outside the Star Trek ghetto have heard of (Ford, Duane, Haldeman, PAD), books for Twihards (Imzadi), or books set in the present day (Eugenics Wars). On those terms, the two I found most questionable were Prime Directive and A Stitch in Time. I still don't really like the list, but the list isn't for me -- nor anyone reading this thread. It's for the Not-We, and in those terms, it's serviceable.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Sho
Fleet Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
BTW, are you going to open a rate/review thread for Federation: The First 150 Years?
Oh hm ... not to hijack the thread, but: Should I? I guess I wasn't really going to because I figured I missed the boat already, with there being a vibrant discussion thread already, and I'm not really sure it fits into the ranking comparison-wise since it'd be the first non-novel ... ho-humm. Need more opinions!
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:29 AM   #15
Daddy Todd
Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
Oh hm ... not to hijack the thread, but: Should I? I guess I wasn't really going to because I figured I missed the boat already, with there being a vibrant discussion thread already, and I'm not really sure it fits into the ranking comparison-wise since it'd be the first non-novel ... ho-humm. Need more opinions!
I vote no. Keep the polls exclusively for novels (possibly other fiction, like anthologies, if Pocket ever gets back into publishing some.)
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote