Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
jhouston6
Commodore

I know who the villain is.

J.J. Abrams and company have picked as their new villain the only villain who managed to kill Captain Kirk. The new villain is Soran. Look at the poster which features Cumberbatch wearing a trench coat which is what Soran wore in Generations. He is a character from canon that TOS crew never really dealt with. He has definite motives for revenge and he bares a very strong resemblance to Malcolm McDowell and he even sounds like him.
Old December 11 2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Re: I know who the villain is.

I know who it is too! John Harrison.
Old December 11 2012, 02:00 AM   #3
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

You know nothing John Harrison.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

lol - nice!
Old December 11 2012, 02:07 AM   #5
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

jhouston6 wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams and company have picked as their new villain the only villain who managed to kill Captain Kirk. The new villain is Soran. Look at the poster which features Cumberbatch wearing a trench coat which is what Soran wore in Generations. He is a character from canon that TOS crew never really dealt with. He has definite motives for revenge and he bares a very strong resemblance to Malcolm McDowell and he even sounds like him.
Nah. That's pretty flimsy. It's possible the character isn't anyone at all that we'd know. The best way to keep people guessing is to make them think the bad guy is going to be someone well known from the original series. For all we know, it's Chuck Testa.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Also, why would you tie your fancy new Trek movie into one of the worst Trek movies made? Coming in at a stellar 48% on Rotten Tomatoes and the 4th worst (by their scale) Trek movie of all time. Also, on the bottom half of money-makers for the franchise.
Old December 11 2012, 02:16 AM   #7
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Also, why would you tie your fancy new Trek movie into one of the worst Trek movies made? Coming in at a stellar 48% on Rotten Tomatoes and the 4th worst (by their scale) Trek movie of all time. Also, on the bottom half of money-makers for the franchise.
Don't be silly. Trek movies aren't made for money! They're made to spread the gospel!

/taking the piss

Old December 11 2012, 02:29 AM   #8
jhouston6
Commodore

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
Nah. That's pretty flimsy. It's possible the character isn't anyone at all that we'd know. The best way to keep people guessing is to make them think the bad guy is going to be someone well known from the original series. For all we know, it's Chuck Testa.
It's the family line from the japanese trailer that gets me. Very few characters in Star Trek have lost their family. Soran is one. I think it could be soran because no one would see it coming.
Old December 11 2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Soran as a villain is about as interesting as pineapple as a villain. People think the term family is literal. Sometimes family are the people you surround yourself with, not just blood relations. Like a crew, for example.
Old December 11 2012, 02:35 AM   #10
J. Allen
Best Pony™

It's the family line from the japanese trailer that gets me. Very few characters in Star Trek have lost their family. Soran is one. I think it could be soran because no one would see it coming.
Actually, MILLIONS of people in Star Trek have lost their families. In the 2009 movie alone, billions of Vulcans and Romulans died. Gods knows how many perished from the attack on Earth, or the attack on the fleet. In that vein, you might as well make "Cupcake" the villain.
Old December 11 2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Why not? At this point, I think Cumby as Cupcake would be a master stroke.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Why not? At this point, I think Cumby as Cupcake would be a master stroke.
So many heads would explode!
Old December 11 2012, 08:39 PM   #13
jhouston6
Commodore

Actually, MILLIONS of people in Star Trek have lost their families. In the 2009 movie alone, billions of Vulcans and Romulans died. Gods knows how many perished from the attack on Earth, or the attack on the fleet. In that vein, you might as well make "Cupcake" the villain.
A villain from TOS and movies who lost their family. Look at a picture of a young Malcolm McDowell and Benedict Cumberbatch and tell me that he couldn't play a young Tolian Soran.
Old December 11 2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

A villain from TOS and movies who lost their family. Look at a picture of a young Malcolm McDowell and Benedict Cumberbatch and tell me that he couldn't play a young Tolian Soran.
He's not Soran.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

They'd have to break continuity into little tiny pieces to make Soran the villain for this film. Star Trek (2009) occurs mostly during 2258. Assuming that the four years between films is translated real-time, that would mean STID occurs at about 2262.

Now, in fairness, the El-Aurians were a space-faring race long before that, with Guinan having visited Earth in the 1800s. However, the Borg don't attack El-Auria until 2265, 3 years before. Not only would Soran not yet be a refugee, he'd have no motive, or at least nothing that minutely resembled his motive from Generations. He'd be the same villain in name only. It's one thing for Nero's actions to have a measurable effect on someone who grew up in the immediate vicinity of Starfleet so that it could change the course of their life, such as John Harrison, who may or may not be the same Lt. Harrison from TOS. It's another thing for Nero's actions to have an effect on two species who were damn near completely unrelated to the Federation, in an event happening on the other side of the galaxy.

There are other reasons as well. For example, Generations establishes that Soran is over 300 years old, which means if he were in STID, he'd be just shy of 200 years old at the very least, so it's unlikely that they'd cast someone who looks so much younger. (Granted, El-Aurian aging is a bit of an enigma, what with Guinan having hardly aged a day over the course of about 500 years, and she still looks younger than Soran).

I will hijack my own post to say that I always thougt Soran got an undeserved bad rap as a villian. Not only does he have a reasonable motivation and goal (honestly, he's the most believable of all the TNG film villains, and the least generic), but he's Malcolm f***ing McDowell.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote