Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 01:52 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Wouldn't be the first time.

I doubt Orci and Kurtzman even knew who this Lt. Harrison joker was.
How do you know? They have access to information at Paramount that we are not privy of. It could have been that Roddenberry had a backstory for Lt Harrison kept in the archives. Only Orci and Kurtzman would have knowledge of this.
Do you actually think Roddenberry created a backstory for a background character, played by an extra who barely had any lines? He barely created backstories for "regulars" like Uhura and Sulu!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:53 AM   #32
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

No way they're releasing the real name of the villain in such a nonchallant manner. A caption on a still from the film? After all the secrecy? Way too anticlimatic.
Old December 11 2012, 01:54 AM   #33
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Film Thrasher from the Bad Robot press conference is confirming ALice Eve is playing Carol Marcus, and that two Klingons will have the same appearance as TOS, i.e. no ridges. IGN is reporting this too from twitter at the conference.

http://www.filmthrasher.com/2012/12/...firmed-to.html
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:55 AM   #34
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I figured Eve was going to be Carol Marcus - I actually kind of like the ridgeless Klingons. Makes it extra cool that they wear the ridged battle helmets. Maybe we'll get a good story explanation for it...
Old December 11 2012, 01:58 AM   #35
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Santa Kang wrote: View Post

I doubt Orci and Kurtzman even knew who this Lt. Harrison joker was.
How do you know? They have access to information at Paramount that we are not privy of. It could have been that Roddenberry had a backstory for Lt Harrison kept in the archives. Only Orci and Kurtzman would have knowledge of this.
Do you actually think Roddenberry created a backstory for a background character, played by an extra who barely had any lines? He barely created backstories for "regulars" like Uhura and Sulu!!!
Possibly. Chekov hardly ever had any lines of importance. It's possible Harrison's had lines but were deleted in scripts or edited out.
Old December 11 2012, 01:59 AM   #36
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

They have treated Enterprise as common back story for this and the prime universe. mostly they are Deformed Klingons who feel shame.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:01 AM   #37
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Yeah, but that wasn't a good story. I want a good story for why they're ridgeless.
Old December 11 2012, 02:06 AM   #38
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
They have treated Enterprise as common back story for this and the prime universe. .
And don't forget that updated NX-01 looking starship out of control crashing into San Francisco Bay in the teaser.
Old December 11 2012, 02:06 AM   #39
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Yeah, but that wasn't a good story. I want a good story for why they're ridgeless.
Hear that, Paramount? Bishop76 isn't happy with the canon! Better do something about it! Or else...

And don't forget that updated NX-01 looking starship out of control crashing into San Francisco Bay in the teaser.
Huh? It's impossible to make out any of the distinctive features on that ship.
Old December 11 2012, 02:08 AM   #40
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Hear that, Paramount? Bishop76 isn't happy with the canon! Better do something about it! Or else...

Do you honestly think that anyone at Paramount cares about what fans consider "canon"? They created an alternate universe Trek just so they wouldn't HAVE to worry about that. I hate to shatter your illusions, but if ignoring anything fans consider canon would make them $10 more on this film, they'd do it without a second thought.
Old December 11 2012, 02:12 AM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Simpler explanation: Maybe the villain starts out as member of Kirk's crew and, just for fun, they chose the name of some minor spear carrier from TOS. Lord knows there are plenty of lists of Kirk's crew floating around. I've been known to consult them when I need a random crew member to push a button . . . . .
Old December 11 2012, 02:13 AM   #42
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Obviously? How do you figure?
Because it's ridiculously stupid, that's why.

I'll tell you what: If BC's character turns out to be the same guy as some random extra who nobody knows, I'll run naked throughout my neighborhood and have my wife film it so you can see it. That's how confident I am that it's not him.

Deal?
Promise to have it be your wife running through the neighborhood naked while you film it, and it's a deal.

Actually, you're 100% correct. Can you imagine the big reveal? The villain is, drum-roll, please. John Harrison! See? See what we did there? Harrison. He was in "Space Seed". That's the link to Khan. And we gave him a first name. John. It's a play on the members of The Beatles. You know. The band Paul McCartney used to play with.

As it is now, who the villain is will to have to make people audibly gasp when the name finally comes out, or it's all anti-climactic.
Old December 11 2012, 02:17 AM   #43
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Cumberbatch is going to play Kodos the Executioner. I'd bet my reputation as a cage fighter on it.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:17 AM   #44
CorporalClegg
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I must admit, the idea that a quiet, good but unspectacular officer becomes this awesome engine of destruction in another life is pretty cool.
Me too. I hope this is the route they plan to take. (If it is Harrison; I still have doubts.) Yes, it would more or less be a Shinzon retread, but NEM was essentially (and poorly) limited to the nurture v. nature thing. This could potentially be a lot more epic.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:18 AM   #45
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Is there, like, an agreement around here to just disregard Anthony Pascale's article? You know, the one in which he writes: "TrekMovie has also confirmed this with a number of sources so we no longer consider it to be a rumor. Khan is back in 2013."