Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 10 2012, 02:10 AM   #1576
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well, no points for effort in HTV's handling of the visual effects. Where as CBS Digital would add a little sparkle to their work (fixing continuity errors), HTV seems to be doing the absolute minimum. Not only do the planets look undetailed and fuzzy, but there are some instances where it looks like a solid JPG image. That's when it hit me. A lot of these effects look like they were done without keeping it consistent with the film footage.

Also, I know this was in the original episode, but was it ever explained why the Enterprise's nacelles were offline in almost every shot showing the other ships?
Example? Only time I recall them being off were times when they were "supposed to be off." Unless you looking at the back of the nacelles which aren't quite as well lit as the sides of the nacelles.
Old December 10 2012, 03:30 AM   #1577
Salinga
Captain

Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 03:38 AM   #1578
Salinga
Captain

Well, no points for effort in HTV's handling of the visual effects. Where as CBS Digital would add a little sparkle to their work (fixing continuity errors), HTV seems to be doing the absolute minimum.
I have to agree. I just watched "Q Who" and the scenes where the 1701-D is slowly flying away from the camera into space you can see, that the nacelle lights pass isnt quite stable horizontally. At some points the nacelle lights move slightly left/right away from the models nacelles. HTV didnt even made the effort to stabilize the nacelle light pass.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 01:54 PM   #1579
NewHorizon
Captain

Salinga wrote: View Post
I have to agree. I just watched "Q Who" and the scenes where the 1701-D is slowly flying away from the camera into space you can see, that the nacelle lights pass isnt quite stable horizontally. At some points the nacelle lights move slightly left/right away from the models nacelles. HTV didnt even made the effort to stabilize the nacelle light pass.
Seems like HTV must have scored this contract based on Curry's reputation and his involvement with the original run of TNG. The team working under Curry's supervision at HTV clearly lacked the required experience to pull off a project of this complexity.

I'm sure it must have been a painful learning experience, for both CBS and HTV.

I have to wonder if the fans speak loudly enough, would CBS consider going back and refining things on Season 2? For such a historical project, it would seem wrong to leave Season 2 in this shape. Not only do the new S2 effects lack CBS-D's fine polish, they lack an overall professionalism. I'm gobsmacked that this was ever allowed to happen.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 02:15 PM   #1580
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I have to wonder if the fans speak loudly enough, would CBS consider going back and refining things on Season 2? For such a historical project, it would seem wrong to leave Season 2 in this shape. Not only do the new S2 effects lack CBS-D's fine polish, they lack an overall professionalism. I'm gobsmacked that this was ever allowed to happen.
I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the work HTV did. Were there some things that should've been caught? Yes. Does it mean the entire season two effort was a waste? No.

I watched Contagion, The Royale and Time Squared last night and all three looked perfectly fine in motion.

The lighting of the models seems more in line with what we saw in the original releases instead of the work done by CBS. But this viewer is liable to find that the darker lighting of the models that CBS has done won't match up with the later seasons when live-action shots are so much brighter than seasons one/two.

I'm just not sure constantly harping on season two's effects flaws really is constructive. YMMV.

Last edited by BillJ; December 10 2012 at 04:08 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 03:16 PM   #1581
MickJo1701
Commander

Salinga wrote: View Post
Well, no points for effort in HTV's handling of the visual effects. Where as CBS Digital would add a little sparkle to their work (fixing continuity errors), HTV seems to be doing the absolute minimum.
I noticed this too, but its not only the nacelles the whole ship judders about. Also keep an eye out towards the very end when the shot runs out of motion and it becomes a moving still image. The giveaway is the frozen grain and the ships movement becomes unnatural. Checked the season 1 version of this shot, if it does the same its masked very well.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 03:35 PM   #1582
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that CBS has learn't sufficiently from the seasons 1 and 2 releases so as to enable flawless releases here on out. If mistakes were going to made then I'd rather they were made in the first few seasons I guess. The show gets great from Season 3, so hopefully the future releases will do the show full justice.
Old December 10 2012, 04:50 PM   #1583
Jeyl
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Example? Only time I recall them being off were times when they were "supposed to be off." Unless you looking at the back of the nacelles which aren't quite as well lit as the sides of the nacelles.
Here's an example. And there are couple of shots like that in the episode. Even if it's the rear part of the nacelle, there is enough of it showing that the glowing blue effect should be noticeable.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 04:59 PM   #1584
NewHorizon
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Here's an example. And there are couple of shots like that in the episode. Even if it's the rear part of the nacelle, there is enough of it showing that the glowing blue effect should be noticeable.
Looks like a missed lighting pass.
Old December 10 2012, 05:06 PM   #1585
Jeyl
Commodore

Surely, nothing that they couldn't have added.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:33 PM   #1586
NewHorizon
Captain

Surely, nothing that they couldn't have added.
Oh yes, they most certainly could have corrected it. Even if the original elements were lost I'm pretty sure the could have CGI'd that with little to no effort.
Old December 10 2012, 06:01 PM   #1587
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched The Schizoid Man, with the infamous blue planet and cut off Enterprise, and I have to say in motion they didn't really bother me as much as I expected. It comes at the very end of the episode and happens so fast you can barely detect it.

The shot of the Enterprise entering orbit of Graves World, on the other hand, looked fantastic.

As for the episode itself, it's fun watching Data being a complete ass to Picard, but otherwise nothing terribly interesting happens. And it's yet another instance where the crew seems awfully slow to figure things out. Considering Graves was a cyberneticist, they should have realized right away that Data had at least been reprogrammed in some way.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:14 PM   #1588
beamMe
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I watched Contagion, The Royale and Time Squared last night and all three looked perfectly fine in motion.
In Time Squared when the Enterprise falls into the vortex, the lighting-passes aren't aligned perfectly. At least one pass flickers around the ships.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:24 PM   #1589
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

beamMe wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
In Time Squared when the Enterprise falls into the vortex, the lighting-passes aren't aligned perfectly. At least one pass flickers around the ships.
I didn't notice and I was watching on my 40" screen.
Old December 10 2012, 10:11 PM   #1590
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Okuna was just as bad as I remembered it. I'm not sure why there's so much needless explaining of the character in the first act. "Oh, he's a rogue" "Yes, he's a rogue and he does rogueish things" "Oh yes, like a rogue".