RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 412
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 9 2012, 11:27 PM   #631
Warped9
Admiral

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Here's a question (assuming this hasn't already been discussed). There were different versions of the main title theme at the beginning of the episodes. "The Cage" had one version and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a different and more electronic style version, both versions without narrative. The early episodes of the first season had a similar electronic style theme with the Kirk narrative and then later we got the more orchestral version with Kirk's narrative. In season two we got yet another version and the accompanying vocals seemed more prominent and yet they seemed to be less prominent again in the third season.

So will we get the different versions?
I give up.

Neil
Sorry, but I didn't catch everything in the thread. The question has already been answered.
Old December 10 2012, 12:13 AM   #632
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post

So will we get the different versions?
I give up.

Neil
Neil, that's hilarious!
Old December 10 2012, 05:12 AM   #633
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Read the track listings for yourself, as posed earlier in this thread or all in one place here. They list the different versions of the main title that are included in the set. In addition to the pilot versions, there's the "electric violin version" on Season 1, Disc 2, the Steiner-arranged "cello version" on S1D3, the 2006 re-recording of the cello version on S1D5, the "soprano version" on S2D1, an "enhanced stereo" version of same on S2D2, the 2006 soprano version on S2D5, the third-season stereo version conducted by Wilbur Hatch on S3D1, the mono version of same on S3D3, and the 2006 version of same on S3D5. Plus the corresponding versions of the end title on the same discs.
Were the mono versions really different recordings/mixes, or were they just the stereo version downmixed for transmission? I would have expected the latter...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:15 AM   #634
Christopher
Writer

^I wouldn't know, but they're both included.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:39 AM   #635
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I would think TV audio practices were still at a point where you'd have separate mono and stereo mixes for things recorded in stereo; same performance, different mix.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:45 AM   #636
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Season two's orchestra was recorded in mono with a separate overlay for vocal and woodwinds. This allowed us to remix it. Season three's main title was recorded to three track tape. We present remixes and mono versions of both to please purists and to present an alternate mix.

Neil
Old December 10 2012, 06:47 AM   #637
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Very excellent! Shame the multitrack tape contents can't be released separately too...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:36 PM   #638
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

GOT IT!!!!

:-)
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:47 PM   #639
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

cbspock wrote: View Post
Excellent bit on the music from Doomsday Machine, even mentions JAWS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Bu7bmz17E
That was awesome, thanks for linking.

Except for the part where they put up a picture of the very-much-alive Gerald Frield over the "Sol Kaplan 1919-1990" inscription.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:56 PM   #640
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Delivered today, and i'm listening to disc 1 right now!! Incredible music!!!
Old December 10 2012, 09:58 PM   #641
Christopher
Writer

Arrgh -- the tracking info says mine is out for delivery, but the postal carrier is taking forever to get here!

Old December 10 2012, 10:10 PM   #642
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Arrgh -- the tracking info says mine is out for delivery, but the postal carrier is taking forever to get here!
Those are tough days. But what a great night you'll have.

I'm up to Specter of the Gun - We're Trapped/Shoot Out, Part 1. So by my count I've listened to 11:39:32 and have 5:43:48 left.

It's funny, some scores I've enjoyed way more than I thought I would (Tribbles, Metamorphosis) and some a little bit less (Return to Tomorrow).

I appreciate Amok Time even MORE. And Charlie X is THE Star Trek score.
Old December 10 2012, 11:39 PM   #643
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Patience my friend, patience. I ordered mine last Tuesday and just got the shipping confirmation THIS MORNING. I don't even expect to see it until Friday at the earliest.

But, I DO sympathize.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:49 AM   #644
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I'm in an even worse predicament. I got my set Monday and have been waiting for iTunes to update its CDDB (I know IndySolo submitted all the correct info to them for this set) so I can import my discs and listen to them at work!
Any news on the CDDB update?
Old December 11 2012, 02:03 AM   #645
Christopher
Writer

Well, I decided to pass some time by listening to the remainder of the CD I had in my bedroom player (Batman: TAS Vol. 2 Disc 1), and when I was done and opened my apartment door to check the mail, there was a nice cube-shaped box sitting there! And the set looks great. All the discs are intact, and only one popped loose from its frame. (Question: why do they keep CDs in those plastic frames that it's sometimes hard to remove them from, instead of putting them in sleeves like LPs? Although these frames seem better designed than the ones on the Ron Jones set from FSM.)

Haven't started to listen yet, but I read the overview booklet and skimmed the season booklets. The booklets look very good, but I do wish the ratio of text to images had been higher. I bet there's a ton of stuff Jeff Bond learned in his research that he couldn't fit in the notes. (Any chance of a Music of Star Trek revised and expanded edition?) Already learned some things from the booklets. For instance, confirmation that Wilbur Hatch's "Humoresque" library cue was the piece accompanying the clothing theft in "City on the Edge." Also, I hadn't realized that Ivan Ditmars was the pianist on so many episode scores.