Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 10 2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Ok, I think I have the trailer figured out...

Tosk wrote: View Post
For my money, Garth is the best candidate for a new take because his episode was lame. Whereas they would have to compete with good material doing Khan or Mitchell, with Garth the only way is up.
Well, using this analysis, the villain is clearly Harcourt Fenton Mudd.
Old December 10 2012, 04:55 AM   #17
Balrog
Commodore

Hell, he could be the sibling of a dead Red Shirt.
Old December 10 2012, 05:09 AM   #18
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I'm going with someone having the last name of Garrovick. Why? Because no one else has guessed this.
Old December 10 2012, 05:37 AM   #19
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
In response to your quote from the trailer:
"We found him. He tried to take over. We exiled/imprisoned him..."
That actually fits the backstory of Garth.
The race of "shape-shifters" gifted him with their ability to change form because he was so gravely injured, and could have in some way altered him mentally. He ended up turning on them and wanted to destroy them. Naturally his officers turned on him and Garth was inevitably imprisoned/exiled and later deemed insane by Starfleet.
So IMO this quote from the trailer more fits Garth...not Khan.

That quote was not from the trailer. That was a generalized idea from me of how to handle the Khan backstory in film.

And the shapeshifters never gave Garth the sort of "supersoldier" attirbutes that the trailer character displays. Garth was not a one-man weapon as the trailer character is said to be.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
Why wold Khan wear a Starfleet uniform?
Have you seen "Space Seed"?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:06 PM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
In this story, Therin. That one's already been done and we're in a different reality now.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Maybe Cumby's suit gets ripped and he's forced to wear a Starfleet uniform. So many possibilities. Guy in a Starfleet uni doesn't necessarily equal Starfleet officer. Most likely it does but not 100%.
Old December 10 2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Saul
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
In this story, Therin. That one's already been done and we're in a different reality now.
Right. So Khan can look white too

Khamberbatch isn't wearing a full uniform. Possibly he joined starfleet in some capacity after they found him in deep space.
Old December 10 2012, 09:54 PM   #24
MPH
Rear Admiral

It just seems obvious to me its Gary Mitchell.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:56 PM   #25
Vektor
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah, the notion that race has anything important to do with Khan is arrant nonsense.

Folks who develop "expectations" about people's backgrounds based on their surnames must live in a frequent state of surprise if not shock.
If we were talking about a new character, you would be correct. Khan, however, is an established character portrayed in an iconic fashion, so it's fair to make certain assumptions about his race, nationality, etc. based on the Khan we've seen before. What a lot of people fail to understand is that Abrams and his team may have chosen to simply ignore those assumptions.

In fact, the longer this goes on, the more I'm leaning toward the Khan theory. They were after Del Toro for the role originally, which might suggest at least a superficial effort to match the Montalbahn template, but when that didn't pan out they just decided not to limit themselves. If Cumberbatch's audition blew them away as much as they said it did, maybe his skin tone and accent simply ceased to matter.

But what about Khan predating the timeline changes? Well, maybe this timeline is actually a lot more divergent than anyone realized. Maybe something else changed things much further in the past so even Khan was affected. Or maybe Abrams just said screw it, we're going with Cumberbatch, and let the fanboys bitch. For the record, I'll be one of those, but I'm also willing to be sufficiently entertained by the movie that I really don't care in the end. I gave up being a Trek purist a long time ago.

So if it is Khan, how does he fit into the new timeline? Well, just off the top of my head, what if the new Star Trek timeline was actually created long before Nero's temporal incursion in the last movie? What if the new Star Trek timeline is actually our timeline, one in which the Eugenics Wars were somehow prevented from happening? What if Gary Seven, played by Robert Lansing dead ringer Peter Weller, somehow thwarted Khan before he could rise to conquer half the world and either shipped him off in cryo sleep aboard the Botany Bay or simply froze him and stashed him in the basement for a couple of hundred years? What if someone other than Kirk and the Enterprise found him and revived him, turning him loose on the world that wronged him and denied him his destiny?

That's just one possible scenario out of dozens in which Khan, or some incarnation of him, might be the villain. The fact that Cumberbatch bears no resemblance whatsoever to Montalbahn may be entirely beside the point.
Old December 10 2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
They were after Del Toro for the role originally, which might suggest at least a superficial effort to match the Montalbahn template, but when that didn't pan out they just decided not to limit themselves. If Cumberbatch's audition blew them away as much as they said it did, maybe his skin tone and accent simply ceased to matter.
This would be my thinking as well; it's the way things often work.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 11:26 PM   #27
Nameless Crewman
Captain

Is there any reason the villain has to be an established character? I doubt that he is any of the top listed contenders.
Nameless Crewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 11:49 PM   #28
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nameless Crewman wrote: View Post
Is there any reason the villain has to be an established character? I doubt that he is any of the top listed contenders.
No reason other than being told the Villian is a Season 1 Canon person

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:23 AM   #29
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Ok, I'm about to piss some people off...with the revelations from today (and after learning that the recent comic story with Mitchell. IS canon to the JJ-verse), I have to admit that it's possbile that it could be Mitchell. The description in the "9-minutes" story could lend itself to Mitchell easily. The new still puts a different spin on the "glass wall" scene (referencing the Delta Vega holding cell scene in WNMGB).

I don't know which way to go now...
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote