Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 10 2012, 02:42 PM   #91
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Renegades

For something that involved so many professionals and promised so much, OGAM was seriously underwhelming. I don't think it heled that people associated with it really hyped it up. And to be fair, we're seeing much of the same hype this time, which is what I think is turning some people off.

That said, I'll judge this effort on it's merits. Hopefully it's an enjoyable yarn, which is really all I'm looking for.
Old December 10 2012, 05:36 PM   #92
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
For something that involved so many professionals and promised so much, OGAM was seriously underwhelming. I don't think it heled that people associated with it really hyped it up. And to be fair, we're seeing much of the same hype this time, which is what I think is turning some people off.

That said, I'll judge this effort on it's merits. Hopefully it's an enjoyable yarn, which is really all I'm looking for.

I have to agree with Nick, who as always, says it well.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I agree, they did hype it up a bit more than they should have. But they feel compelled to do so given the nature of the production (low budget indie). Sales of DVDs pay back some of the overhead. I do wonder if any of the original Star Trek cast members get some compensation, even if under the table (I think being part of AFTA or SAG means you must get paid by guild/association rates, unless it's a volunteer thing).
Old December 10 2012, 07:45 PM   #94
Captain Atkin
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I agree, they did hype it up a bit more than they should have. But they feel compelled to do so given the nature of the production (low budget indie). Sales of DVDs pay back some of the overhead. I do wonder if any of the original Star Trek cast members get some compensation, even if under the table (I think being part of AFTA or SAG means you must get paid by guild/association rates, unless it's a volunteer thing).
Union actors get paid for the work they do on these films. The union would most likely not allow them to be in the films otherwise. The rate of pay would be on the low end, as these are non-profit 'indie' films. As for selling DVDs, that isn't really allowed at all. To my knowledge, you can give them away for free, but you can't sell them.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:00 PM   #95
Tom
Rear Admiral

Gary, all of the actors for Renegades had to be in SAG, it was a requirement, they are getting some compensation, albeit not as much as one would typically get for budget reasons. Also, we can not directly sell DVD's as it be a violation of CBS licensing.

As for STOGAM, it was six years ago, there were many issues with the production such as unbearably hot filming conditions, and trying to get the CGI done on time, etc.. It was the first time that everyone got together to make that film, over the years the core group has gotten closer and several have worked on other projects etc.. With Renegades, we looked at all the problems with STOGAM, listening to fan input etc.. We agreed on certain things that hurt STOGAM and vowed not to have those issues with Renegades. For instance no shaky cam stuff (trendy at the time with BSG, etc.) , making sure everything is done at minimum of 1080 HD, sets and lighting issues etc.. We have also haggled over story elements making sure canon is upheld and to trying to make sure things do not draw too heavily on knowledge of the past series and films.
Old December 10 2012, 08:56 PM   #96
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I'll be happy as long as the script is good. That was really the main thing that let OGAM down for me.
Old December 10 2012, 10:13 PM   #97
Tom
Rear Admiral

I'll be happy as long as the script is good. That was really the main thing that let OGAM down for me.
It's more of a group effort this time, there are 3 writers but the core group has input on it as well.
Old December 12 2012, 02:26 AM   #98
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

I remember calling OGAM "It's a Wonderful Trek."
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:34 AM   #99
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Union actors get paid for the work they do on these films. The union would most likely not allow them to be in the films otherwise. The rate of pay would be on the low end, as these are non-profit 'indie' films.
Sorry...you are making an assumption that is completely wrong. The current SAG union contract's requirements for members being employed by SAG signatory "new media" (on-line), whether new or derivative (based on another property), is pretty clear...and simple. The contract says it is up to the union member to negotiate what or if they will get paid. They are free to work for free if that is what they are willing to do. (For the production, there are paperwork requirements whether they get paid or not (because all hours worked count toward the member's benefits...believe me, I know... )

If this is a television pilot, as implied, that is entirely different...they would hit the "low scale" union contract level.

However, if the production is also a WGA signatory, well, the WGA contract is much more specific and the writer's have to get a pretty penny for any and all work!
Old December 12 2012, 07:20 AM   #100
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ That's news to me, and welcome at that. It at least gives some actors flexibility to do productions off the major commercial path without nasty entanglements and touchy policies.

Funny, somehow thought that there were DVD sales, but priced supposedly "at cost" for the materials and overhead to make them. Well, I guess for most people with high speed internet connections, downloading is simple enough. The fact that they are free should help loosen up some of the criticism. This is done for the sake of loving the genre, not to make a profit, and so they can't be too nitpicky... right?
Old December 12 2012, 04:27 PM   #101
Captain Atkin
Commander

andriech wrote: View Post
Union actors get paid for the work they do on these films. The union would most likely not allow them to be in the films otherwise. The rate of pay would be on the low end, as these are non-profit 'indie' films.
Sorry...you are making an assumption that is completely wrong. The current SAG union contract's requirements for members being employed by SAG signatory "new media" (on-line), whether new or derivative (based on another property), is pretty clear...and simple. The contract says it is up to the union member to negotiate what or if they will get paid. They are free to work for free if that is what they are willing to do. (For the production, there are paperwork requirements whether they get paid or not (because all hours worked count toward the member's benefits...believe me, I know... )

If this is a television pilot, as implied, that is entirely different...they would hit the "low scale" union contract level.

However, if the production is also a WGA signatory, well, the WGA contract is much more specific and the writer's have to get a pretty penny for any and all work!
I'm a member of ACTRA - The Canadian actors union. I am well aware of the "new media" policies, which even today, are still not well defined by SAG or ACTRA. Unions tend to frown on the idea of their members working on new media projects for free, and for obvious reasons. The actor can negotiate their salary, but there are still certain expectations as to what they should be paid. Although union actors can work for free on these fan films, to my knowledge, not many of them do. Professional actors tend to not want to tick off their agents or union reps.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; December 12 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 04:40 PM   #102
Tom
Rear Admiral

It's not a TV pilot, it is a web series pilot, that was always the goal. If the pitch for the web series is not successful, it simply becomes a a free 90 minute movie like STOGAM was. Patty is correct about SAG. Also the WGA is not involved with this.

DVD's can not be directly sold, period, no matter the cost. DVD's can be made for as little at $3 depending on how much print you want to use. Still, even if we sold it for $3 directly CBS would come down on us.
Old December 12 2012, 04:50 PM   #103
Tom
Rear Admiral

Yes CA, the Union and agents always want to get the most amount of money for the actors. But consider that some of these actors also take on these low paying roles to raise there profile in hopes to even get bigger (and better paying) roles in the future. Being in a Star Trek production, even an independent one, could catch some producer or casting agent's eye. We have had several requests from lesser known actors to be in the production at no compensation, just because they want it in there credits or thought it would be cool experience.
Old December 12 2012, 08:39 PM   #104
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

andriech wrote: View Post

That's fascinating. A friend of mine was up for a role in Renegades, but ultimately turned down because they weren't a member of SAG or AFTRA (yet.) At least, that's what they were told.

On topic: I had huge issues with Of Gods and Men, mostly with story but also some with the production itself. I will say though I give the production props for getting finished as that must have been quite the herculean task, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Renegades.
Old December 13 2012, 10:54 PM   #105
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

The Star Trek: Renegades facebook page was taken down because of a complaint filed with Facebook by CBS. Apparently they "Stepped over the line" according to my source.

The same is true for making prop replicas. CBS isn't going to go after you if you make a few replicas and sell them to your friends, but put up a storefront and you will get a letter from CBS legal.

Alec

Last edited by GSchnitzer; January 20 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote