MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2012, 11:23 PM   #331
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Interesting visuals with the void, you could definitely see every bit of the CG textures for better and worse. When the droids first emerged from the downed ship it looked damned near real though!
I read that the episode's look was inspired by the art of the late Jean "Moebius" Giraud, but... what look? There was nothing much to see except a featureless salt flat. Maybe the comets at the beginning, the birds, and the town at the end, but I didn't see anything I recognized as particularly Moebius-esque (though I'd forgotten about the influence until after I saw the episode, so I wasn't really looking).

I'm still not enjoying the characters in this sequence. Didn't we see Col. Gaskon and WAC go through this exact same arc last week, the colonel starting out contemptuous of droids and learning to respect WAC? It wasn't very interesting the first time either.

And help me out here with the SW-verse hyperspace physics. Since when did a ship have to drop out of hyperspace because of an obstacle in their path in normal space? Isn't the whole point of hyperspace that you bypass such obstructions completely? I know from canonical dialogue that you have to worry about coming out of hyperspace inside a star or planet, but I figured it was only a problem if you came out -- that if you stayed in hyperspace, you could just pass "through" any such obstruction. So the setup for the episode made no sense to me.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 10:53 AM   #332
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Christopher wrote: View Post
And help me out here with the SW-verse hyperspace physics. Since when did a ship have to drop out of hyperspace because of an obstacle in their path in normal space? Isn't the whole point of hyperspace that you bypass such obstructions completely? I know from canonical dialogue that you have to worry about coming out of hyperspace inside a star or planet, but I figured it was only a problem if you came out -- that if you stayed in hyperspace, you could just pass "through" any such obstruction. So the setup for the episode made no sense to me.
In Star Wars physics (at least in the Expanded Universe), there's this thing called a "mass shadow," which is basically the influence a planet or star's gravity well has on hyperspace. They do bad things if you get near one. I haven't seen this week's episode, so I don't know if they made it sound like the ship would run into the physical planet itself, but what you're describing sounds like it was intended to be the other thing.

They've been part of the EU for a good decade or more, so the idea's been around for a while even though the movies never mentioned it.
Old December 9 2012, 11:00 AM   #333
lennier1
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
In Star Wars physics (at least in the Expanded Universe), there's this thing called a "mass shadow," which is basically the influence a planet or star's gravity well has on hyperspace. They do bad things if you get near one. I haven't seen this week's episode, so I don't know if they made it sound like the ship would run into the physical planet itself, but what you're describing sounds like it was intended to be the other thing.

They've been part of the EU for a good decade or more, so the idea's been around for a while even though the movies never mentioned it.
That explains the scene.

Basically, during hyperspace travel the ship had to react to several objects in normal space (not just a planet's mass).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:27 PM   #334
Christopher
Writer

Couldn't they have just changed course?

Old December 9 2012, 03:59 PM   #335
lennier1
Commodore

Couldn't they have just changed course?
If it's anything like Trek they'd probably need massive amounts of energy to divert a FTL jump mid-flight.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:13 PM   #336
Christopher
Writer

lennier1 wrote: View Post
If it's anything like Trek they'd probably need massive amounts of energy to divert a FTL jump mid-flight.
Umm, no; aside from a single pretty terrible Voyager episode (with the line "Faster than light, no left or right"), Star Trek has never depicted it as difficult to change course during warp travel.

Old December 9 2012, 05:17 PM   #337
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

It was still a bad episode. i hope we will have Gregor show up in the next episode.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:47 PM   #338
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Umm, no; aside from a single pretty terrible Voyager episode (with the line "Faster than light, no left or right"), Star Trek has never depicted it as difficult to change course during warp travel.
My impression from the Star Wars-verse (and mind you I've never given it any real thought) is that once the course is laid in that you are pretty much committed to it. Are there any examples of steering at all? Given Han's dialogue about the importance of properly plotting the course and the way hyperspace is depicted that's how I figured it worked.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:55 PM   #339
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
My impression from the Star Wars-verse (and mind you I've never given it any real thought) is that once the course is laid in that you are pretty much committed to it. Are there any examples of steering at all? Given Han's dialogue about the importance of properly plotting the course and the way hyperspace is depicted that's how I figured it worked.
That's a good point. SW hyperspace does seem like it's basically a "jump" type of drive, despite being non-instantaneous -- you set a course for a particular point and that's where you end up.

I guess WAC just wasn't that great a pilot and he set the wrong course. Or maybe that comet swarm was unanticipated because the system was uncharted.

Old December 9 2012, 07:06 PM   #340
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I think that's the whole point of established hyperspace lanes in Star Wars, to avoid hazards like this and why it's extremely dangerous to explore unknown regions.
You fly more or less blind in FTL and it takes hundreds of years to establish a reasonably save rout which then gets shared with the rest of the galaxy.
At least those people in the galaxy you like, because they can also be a strategic advantage to move around warfleets as quickly as possible.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 03:59 AM   #341
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I had root canals that were less painful then this week's episode. I almost didn't finish it. it wasn't funny or interesting in any way.
Old December 10 2012, 07:52 AM   #342
billcosby
Commodore

Yep, another stinker. Pity, as the visuals were top notch. I especially like the water effect at the end, the idea that water would reflect the hue of any sky. And the buildings/structures in the Void were kind of neat.

Too bad we were subjected to that asshole micro corporal again. He's worse than Jar-Jar. He never shuts up. As Christopher mentioned, didn't we go through the whole he-learns-respect-for-droids thing last week? And having him jump around screaming like an idiot for most of the 22 minutes was gut-wrenching.

I was rewatching (and thoroughly enjoying) the season 2 dvds this week. Is it possible that the series is somehow now more aimed at little kids? Is this is Season of the Children? The episodes from season 2 were very sophisticated in story and seemed to have had a more adult flavor to them.

IMO, Season 5 in general (besides the premiere and the finale of Ahsoka's lightsaber building arc) is turning out to be the most unsatisfying season so far.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:28 AM   #343
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed this season until the last 2 episodes. Someone please tell me that we're done with this Droid arc as of this episode.
Old December 10 2012, 07:37 PM   #344
Mr Light
Admiral

Call me crazy but I liked these two droid episodes, I even found the second episode amusing...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 07:58 PM   #345
billcosby
Commodore

The droids are fine. But it's Gascon who is dragging this story down. Does anyone like him? He is the big mouth know it all... I get it, that's his character BUT part of making characters that you care about is making them likeable. If Gascon ends up a grease spot under some droid's foot at the end of this 4 story arc then I wouldn't be sad.

What a dick. Comic relief is exactly supposed to provide relief, but the only thing I could do was go back to more season 2 episodes to cleanse the palette.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote