Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 10 2012, 05:23 AM   #91
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Re: Now That John Logan Has Proven Himself, What Went Wrong With Nemes

^ That's key - it's a totally different demographic both films are chasing. The effect that Maid had on Emesis was probably non-existent. It failed entirely because it was a giant turd of a film.
Old December 11 2012, 12:44 AM   #92
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

TPTB started taking trek for granted long before Nemesis and were phoning it in, the studios were to blame giving some no name director the chair for the movie and giving the actors way too much control.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 01:00 AM   #93
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Yeah, Spiner and Stewart should never have had any control and Stuart Baird is awful.
Old December 12 2012, 04:37 PM   #94
anh165
Commander

When I was a young fool and watched this at the cinema, I enjoyed the space battle between the Enterprise and the Schimtar.

Later on I had it on DVD, and realised how cheesy the whole cast has become and how the movie was made purely to tick all the boxes to get trekkies to watch it in the most lazy and un-imaginative of ways.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 02:53 AM   #95
jhouston6
Commodore

I'd say oversaturation of star trek did in nemesis.
Old December 16 2012, 03:20 AM   #96
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
TPTB started taking trek for granted long before Nemesis and were phoning it in, the studios were to blame giving some no name director the chair for the movie and giving the actors way too much control.
Baird is hardly a "no name," quite the contrary in fact. He just sucks as a director. But that was the whole point. TPTB didn't actually care about his aptitude as a director, they just wanted to be able to say "Directed by Academy Award nominee Stuart Baird and written by Academy Award nominee John Logan" on the trailer.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 12:22 PM   #97
Jeyl
Commodore

jhouston6 wrote: View Post
I'd say oversaturation of star trek did in nemesis.
First Contact was released when we had Deep Space Nine AND Voyager running at the same time, and it came out two years after Generations. Did audiences or fans complain that there was too much Star Trek? No. First Contact went on to be the most successful of all the TNG films both critically and financially. Nemesis on the other hand was released four years after Insurrection (At the time the longest gap between movies) when there was only one Star Trek show (ENTERPRISE) and was a failure to both audiences and fans.

In conclusion, not only did over saturation NOT kill Nemesis, there was no over saturation period. The film was just bad, and John Logan played a very important part in that regard.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 06:07 PM   #98
jayrath
Fleet Captain

^ Agreed.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 12:17 AM   #99
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I don't think Logan has ever proven himself. Nemesis was his and Spiner's script, but all the other films that were successful were only cowritten by him, or rewritten by others, or something.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 07:38 AM   #100
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

^
Not to mention Skyfall is hardly proof. It may be a good film, but that credit is due the director. The script was mediocre at best.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 07:25 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
It failed entirely because it was a giant turd of a film.
Yet it's probably the most memorable of the Next Gen movies (in my opinion). Which really says something about the overall quality of the films Rick Berman produced.
Old December 17 2012, 07:31 PM   #102
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Berman's films were definitely problematic. It was clear he just didn't care any more and was just crapping out product. To me First Contact was the best/most memorable because despite being deeply flawed, it was still entertaining to me. None of the other ones got close to being entertaining.
Old December 17 2012, 08:03 PM   #103
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Berman's films were definitely problematic. It was clear he just didn't care any more and was just crapping out product. To me First Contact was the best/most memorable because despite being deeply flawed, it was still entertaining to me. None of the other ones got close to being entertaining.
Not sure that I'd say Rick Berman didn't care. He was a TV producer trying to produce a feature film franchise and he continued to think in TV terms. Three of the films were written/directed by people associated with the TV franchise.

Outside of the memory of my daughter jumping three feet in the air when the Borg mechanism popped-out of Picard's face, First Contact just doesn't do anything for me. It feels the most like a TV episode to me, depending the most on TV elements (Borg, Zephram Cochrane, time travel) for its story. And it only ranks above Insurrection in my Trek movie rankings.

As in all things, your mileage may vary.
Old December 18 2012, 12:38 AM   #104
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
First Contact just doesn't do anything for me. It feels the most like a TV episode to me, depending the most on TV elements (Borg, Zephram Cochrane, time travel) for its story.
I think most fans like First Contact because of its connections to the show. It was a loose sequel to BOBW.

It's the same reason why many fans consider TWOK to be the best TOS film since it had Khan, who had once appeared on that series. Ricardo Montalbán's brilliant performance helped too.
Old December 19 2012, 10:30 PM   #105
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

slappy wrote: View Post
...and the amazing Skyfall.
Didn't Stuart Baird also edit Skyfall? He must be good for something

So what the hell went wrong with Nemesis? Too many cooks in the kitchen? Not enough cooks in the kitchen? At what point did he think he was writing something good?
Nemesis isn't that bad, it just isn't all THAT good either. It is a couple of re-writes away from being a great trek movie, it just was made before they did the re-writes.