Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 6 2012, 04:15 AM   #601
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

You know, it's really sad how much coverage on local news Belcher has been getting regarding reactions to his death and the coverage of his memorial service this week. It's like the news forgot that he, you know, KILLED A WOMAN!
Old December 6 2012, 04:56 AM   #602
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The question is one of culpability vs. mental illness, I would presume.
Old December 6 2012, 07:15 AM   #603
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

This was somebody who was friend to a lot of people, someone who was highly respected amongst his teammates, and as far as I'm aware, no one really knows what happened. You can't justify murder, but you can't really expect his friends and family to disown his existance without more knowledge. Maybe he did just snap and did something horrible. Or maybe there was something more wrong with him psychologically than we're aware of.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 7 2012, 07:43 AM   #604
chrisspringob
Commodore

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
^^
I have no data to back this up, but my instinct is that once you're in the playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot. I mean if you're in the Wild Card Round it's three wins to the Super Bowl, if you have a first round bye it's two wins. Anything's possible in three games, especially at this level of competition.
Interestingly enough, 5 of the last 7 Super Bowls involved teams that were seeded #3, 4, 5, or 6 beating teams that were seeded #1 or 2. So yeah, it's been pretty much a crapshoot in recent years.

Or at least, that's one interpretation. The other interpretation is that it's not so much luck as it is the fact that a teams' talent level changes throughout the course of the season, and those #3, 4, 5, and 6 seeded teams that won Super Bowls were simply peaking at the right time.
Old December 9 2012, 10:34 PM   #605
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

How about those Rams!?!?

3 in a row. First time since 2006.

I only caught the very tail end of the Redskins game. What happened to RG3?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old December 9 2012, 10:42 PM   #606
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I don't know about RG3 either, just caught a few minutes of bonus coverage at the end.

The 'Skins win could boost NE into the 2 seed with a Pats win tomorrow and leave them only one game shy of Houston and owning the tiebreaker.
Old December 9 2012, 10:45 PM   #607
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Griffin hurt his right knee; it's believed to only be a sprain but it's being checked out further just to be sure.

And it looks like Cutler was concussed again. Everyone on the Bears' offensive line should die in a fire.
Old December 9 2012, 10:51 PM   #608
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Maybe everyone on the Bears offensive line is concussed, all the time.
Old December 9 2012, 10:56 PM   #609
Timby

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
Maybe everyone on the Bears offensive line is concussed, all the time.
It would make a certain amount of sense if it came out that they're all functionally retarded, because otherwise it's hard to explain just how they are Not Good at Football.
Old December 9 2012, 11:15 PM   #610
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

What I never understood is, how a piddling holding penalty & an unsportsmanlike penalty offset like that.

I could see two similar penalties offsetting.

I'm sure Griffin will still get a fine, but that doesn't help after the fact.
Old December 9 2012, 11:32 PM   #611
Neroon
Mod of balance

Tiny Timby wrote: View Post
Griffin hurt his right knee; it's believed to only be a sprain but it's being checked out further just to be sure.
I got a kick out of his post-game news conference, when he talked about the injury. Describing what it felt like, "I screamed.. like a man, of course."
- Proverbs 12:20
Old December 10 2012, 12:02 AM   #612
chrisspringob
Commodore

Are you all excited for next week's Geno Smith Bowl? Chiefs vs. Raiders: The loser of this game is in a strong position to get either the #1 or #2 draft choice.
Old December 11 2012, 01:11 AM   #613
Use of Time
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Are you all excited for next week's Geno Smith Bowl? Chiefs vs. Raiders: The loser of this game is in a strong position to get either the #1 or #2 draft choice.
I'm not sure if everybody is going to go QB crazy in this draft. It's not that great of a pro style QB class. I think Barkley's stock has fallen as well as Geno's. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia is a number 1 overall pick. I thought that kid was better than Manti but he didn't have the hype train. If you want a franchise QB than a guy like Tyler Wilson from Arkansas fits the mold. Tyler Bray out of Tennessee as well. Everybody was high on Logan Thomas out of VT but he ended up being an incompletion machine this year. He still might get some looks in the later rounds because he is 6'6 and 260 lbs.
Old December 11 2012, 01:19 AM   #614
Timby

I, too, enjoy watching cripple fights.
Old December 11 2012, 02:11 AM   #615
chrisspringob
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if everybody is going to go QB crazy in this draft. It's not that great of a pro style QB class. I think Barkley's stock has fallen as well as Geno's. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia is a number 1 overall pick. I thought that kid was better than Manti but he didn't have the hype train. If you want a franchise QB than a guy like Tyler Wilson from Arkansas fits the mold. Tyler Bray out of Tennessee as well. Everybody was high on Logan Thomas out of VT but he ended up being an incompletion machine this year. He still might get some looks in the later rounds because he is 6'6 and 260 lbs.
True, and yet we have a fair number of teams that are absolutely desperate for a QB, and there aren't a huge number of good options among free agents or trade options. What is, say, Kansas City going to do at QB if they don't draft a quarterback with their high draft pick? Trade for Alex Smith or Matt Flynn? There'll be other teams like Arizona that might want to trade for them as well. Trade for Michael Vick???
Closed Thread