Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2012, 10:31 PM   #1336
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

stj wrote: View Post
Wasn't there a quick shot of Galadriel in armor at the Dagorlad battle of Elves and Men with Sauron?
I don't believe so. The only prominent Elves I can recall seeing at Dagorlad were Elrond and Gil-galad.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:49 PM   #1337
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

She did wear armor (which looked really silly) in the mirror scene.. the scene where they hinted at the scouring of the Shire...
Old December 9 2012, 12:23 AM   #1338
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^
^^^
Thanks.
Old December 9 2012, 03:55 AM   #1339
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Interesting tidbit from the EW article:

Does this mean Galadriel in Elvish armor?
Damn, that sounds awesome. I don't remember the spiders aspect so clearly I need to reread the appendices again.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; December 9 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:28 AM   #1340
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I honestly don't remember any of that either - other than the White Council (of which Galadriel is a member) being involved. The description, though, makes it sound like a ready-made, Film 2 finale.
Old December 9 2012, 05:50 AM   #1341
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Not sure where that's from, couldn't find any details about the assault in the Appendices or Unfinished Tales...?
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:51 AM   #1342
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't remember any mention of spiders or wargs, but we do know the White Council did attack Dol Guldur to drive the Necromancer/Sauron out. It wouldn't surprise me if PJ added the spiders and wargs in to spice things up a bit.
Old December 9 2012, 05:56 AM   #1343
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

No details of that sort are given in the appendices I'm looking at, that's why we don't remember them.
Old December 9 2012, 08:17 AM   #1344
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Fair enough. I simply accepted that my crappy memory was at fault again.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:24 PM   #1345
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm guessing that Movie 2 will climax with Smaug, and Movie 3 will intercut the Battle of 5 Armies with the Assault on Dol Guldur. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the White Council in action that the actual ending of The Hobbit

Though there's a rumor that Smaug's actual death scene will be cut from the ending of Movie 2 because it took too long to end the movie. They're gonna put it in the opening of Movie 3 instead, though there's another rumor there's going to cut that too because they didn't want to spend time on the Movie 2 villain in Movie 3 and will just stick it on the Extended Edition

How will they portray the Necromancer? The LOTR films took the interpretation that Sauron did not have a physical body. But in the books Gollum says that Sauron has four fingers on his hand, which means he does have a physical body.

So will the Necromancer be a Man-In-Armor, or a talking ghost form?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 09:39 PM   #1346
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
I don't remember any mention of spiders or wargs, but we do know the White Council did attack Dol Guldur to drive the Necromancer/Sauron out. It wouldn't surprise me if PJ added the spiders and wargs in to spice things up a bit.
The spiders would have been around Mirkwood generally and perhaps more populous in the southern portion near Dol Guldur after the Necromancer set up shop. Might as well have them involved, right?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 10:34 PM   #1347
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that Movie 2 will climax with Smaug, and Movie 3 will intercut the Battle of 5 Armies with the Assault on Dol Guldur. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the White Council in action that the actual ending of The Hobbit
The chronology doesn't line up for that. The assault on Dol Guldur would take place at roughly the same time as Smaug's death. It's because the White Council was successful in driving the Necromancer from Dol Guldur that Gandalf is able to go back to Erebor when things go all pear shaped there in the wake of Smaug's death.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 12:10 AM   #1348
Skywalker
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
The spiders would have been around Mirkwood generally and perhaps more populous in the southern portion near Dol Guldur after the Necromancer set up shop. Might as well have them involved, right?
Yeah, makes sense to me.
Old December 10 2012, 12:21 AM   #1349
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The chronology doesn't line up for that. The assault on Dol Guldur would take place at roughly the same time as Smaug's death. It's because the White Council was successful in driving the Necromancer from Dol Guldur that Gandalf is able to go back to Erebor when things go all pear shaped there in the wake of Smaug's death.
Actually, in the book, Gandalf "was in fact finishing his other business [at Dol Guldur] and getting ready to come in search of Thorin's company" before Bilbo and the dwarves even reach Lake Town. Not that PJ is obligated to stay true to the timeline, but he'd have to move the battle at Dol Guldur, significantly, to line up with Smaug's demise.
Old December 10 2012, 12:39 AM   #1350
Mr Light
Admiral

Personally I would move the Dol Guldur battle to the end of the trilogy. To me it's much more important plot-wise than the 5 Armies. Because they're pitching this as The Lord of the Rings Prequel and not just the Hobbit. So Gandalf and Sauron and Galadriel fighting Sauron is much more LOTR-important than dwarves and elves and orcs fighting over some treasure.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote