RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 800
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 8 2012, 04:36 PM   #616
Malformed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Yes, Christopher, you did need to order it that fast, because you did.
Malformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 05:59 PM   #617
NicholasM79
Lieutenant Commander

View NicholasM79's Twitter Profile

Mine came today! I got my order in practically at 4:00 EST the day of. So don't fret too much folks, be patient!
Old December 8 2012, 06:06 PM   #618
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Malformed wrote: View Post
I really wish someone from LaLa would make a statement about how it's doing sales-wise, because I'd really like to know.
Not that they really need to say anything, but MV Gerhard shared this at the Film Score Monthly message board, "Let put this all in perspective:

We received nearly 1000 orders in less than 15 minutes...and a shitload more since 1:15 pm on Dec 4.

We have 12 people (give or take) working on processing and packing orders from 8 am to 9 pm, no weekend breaks.

Thank you for your patience

MV"

Neil
Old December 8 2012, 06:13 PM   #619
Malformed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NIce and thanks for the quotage Indysolo!

You just know that LaLa is a small, mom&pop kinda place and it's great to know this has been a grand slam for them!
Malformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:36 PM   #620
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Location: five hundred parsecs from where we are... I mean, were... I mean...

Got mine!
BoredShipCapt'n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:41 PM   #621
Basill
Captain

Mine came! Awesome work, and my thanks to all the folks at La La Land!

Time to go turn my brain into delicious music mush!

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:26 PM   #622
Christopher
Writer

Well, mine has departed the Santa Clarita, CA sort facility. Hopefully I'll get it Monday.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 12:12 AM   #623
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
We received nearly 1000 orders in less than 15 minutes...and a shitload more since 1:15 pm on Dec 4.
Great news! What a home run!!
Old December 9 2012, 07:22 PM   #624
Warped9
Admiral

Here's a question (assuming this hasn't already been discussed). There were different versions of the main title theme at the beginning of the episodes. "The Cage" had one version and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a different and more electronic style version, both versions without narrative. The early episodes of the first season had a similar electronic style theme with the Kirk narrative and then later we got the more orchestral version with Kirk's narrative. In season two we got yet another version and the accompanying vocals seemed more prominent and yet they seemed to be less prominent again in the third season.

So will we get the different versions?
Old December 9 2012, 07:31 PM   #625
Christopher
Writer

^Read the track listings for yourself, as posed earlier in this thread or all in one place here. They list the different versions of the main title that are included in the set. In addition to the pilot versions, there's the "electric violin version" on Season 1, Disc 2, the Steiner-arranged "cello version" on S1D3, the 2006 re-recording of the cello version on S1D5, the "soprano version" on S2D1, an "enhanced stereo" version of same on S2D2, the 2006 soprano version on S2D5, the third-season stereo version conducted by Wilbur Hatch on S3D1, the mono version of same on S3D3, and the 2006 version of same on S3D5. Plus the corresponding versions of the end title on the same discs.

As they've said, this set contains every single note of music written and recorded for TOS, including alternate versions -- save only "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and the J. Peter Robinson substitute cues for "Goodnight, Sweetheart" from that '80s syndication release of "City on the Edge" that couldn't get the rights to the song.

Old December 9 2012, 07:46 PM   #626
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Thanks. This is a long thread and I haven't been able to follow everything discussed in it.
Old December 9 2012, 08:36 PM   #627
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

And what's more, Warped9, they all sound fantastic !!!
OneBuckFilms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 08:36 PM   #628
Warped9
Admiral

Listening to those sample tracks again, each one instantly takes you to a familiar moment and feeling, Yeah, being a TOS fan they can call me biased, but no subsequent Trek series has ever had such powerful and evocative music. So much of it is simply fantastic. And it's never sounded so rich and substantial as now---I hear things I never knew were there before.
Old December 9 2012, 09:03 PM   #629
Christopher
Writer

I think the music in the first few episodes of TNG is in a very TOS-like style -- especially, of course, Fred Steiner's score to "Code of Honor," which is as gorgeous as anything he did for TOS. And there were some bits of brilliance later on in the other series, particular in Ron Jones's TNG scores and to some extent in Enterprise, by which point the strictures were relaxing and the music was able to get more expressive again.

But yeah -- taking each series in the aggregate, TOS unquestionably had the lushest, most powerful music overall.

Old December 9 2012, 10:39 PM   #630
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Here's a question (assuming this hasn't already been discussed). There were different versions of the main title theme at the beginning of the episodes. "The Cage" had one version and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a different and more electronic style version, both versions without narrative. The early episodes of the first season had a similar electronic style theme with the Kirk narrative and then later we got the more orchestral version with Kirk's narrative. In season two we got yet another version and the accompanying vocals seemed more prominent and yet they seemed to be less prominent again in the third season.

So will we get the different versions?
I give up.

Neil