Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 9 2012, 12:00 AM   #61
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: How many reset buttons?

Battered wife syndrome.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 01:35 AM   #62
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I know when Janeway touches my arm like that and asks me to do things that might hurt.. that might even get me killed.. it's because she really really loves me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 01:43 AM   #63
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I suppose it's better than battered Talaxian Syndrome... Random disgruntled crewmen threatening to dunk the hedgehog in eggs, flower and bread crumbs and fry the bastard live if he doesn't shut up and ladle out another dollop of leola root gruel.

Old December 9 2012, 02:10 AM   #64
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

But, Voyager could have easily brought on supporting crewmembers for longer. Half the recurring minor characters they unceremoniously just dropped. Carey stopped appearing except for one random appearance in Fury just to tell us when we were back in time again and one other appearance just to die, Hogan was eaten by a giant lizard-snake, that other guy got his face ripped off. They could have had more minor characters who played a larger role in the story.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:17 AM   #65
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Could of, should of, would of.

It was ALL PLANNED that they would suffocate together in morale boosting bonhomie.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:34 AM   #66
exodus
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
But, Voyager could have easily brought on supporting crewmembers for longer. Half the recurring minor characters they unceremoniously just dropped. Carey stopped appearing except for one random appearance in Fury just to tell us when we were back in time again and one other appearance just to die, Hogan was eaten by a giant lizard-snake, that other guy got his face ripped off. They could have had more minor characters who played a larger role in the story.
The actors very well may not have been available to reprise their roles that often. For example: many of the survivors of the Equinox were doing other shows and guess spots and very well could have been the reason why the writers couldn't revisit those characters.
Second is budget.
If they felt they didn't have the budget to keep Jen Lien and add Jeri Ryan, they might not have had the budget to pay those actors their salary. I can assume, the young newer actors like Manu & the other Borg kids work for much cheaper just for exposure.
Old December 9 2012, 05:45 AM   #67
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If kids were that much cheaper, I'm amazed Voyager didn't enter a section of the galaxy where a weird virus killed all the adults.

The problem starts well before they hire their actors. In the writers room, there has to be some sort of passion where some one says "I have this amazing idea for a character that i really think that we can run with for a couple episodes who... "

And then Berman throws a shoe at them.

Exodus, it's not Jeri vs Jenny, but what did they do with the Cullah/Seska money?

Old December 9 2012, 12:32 PM   #68
MacLeod
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
And what are the TNG stats for this?
In the beginning TNG was made by a lot of the same Blokes who worked on the original Star Trek. They were working off the same models as 1950s cop shows. TNG's stats are going to be worse than Voyagers .. Although looking at their imdb listing, it seems that several of the extras were given "names" and then hung around for another 50 episodes.

DS9 was innovative like a soap opera, an then for their finale? And ongoing continuous 12 part episode?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Voyager gets praise for Tom being mean to Chuckles for three episodes to sneak onto Seskas ship for 3 minutes before he breaks cover and...

12 parts with so many, many, many, interlocking moving pieces.

Voyager meanwhile given the opportunity to raise the bar instead took two steps back and could barely competently hold together a two parter.

Continuity wise episode to episode, Enterprise wasn't that bad in season one. They were always talking about how many light years they were from earth and subtly boosting the number each week. Season four was a wet dream. nothing but 3 and 4 parters that sorted connected up with everything.

But since you asked...

14 recurring actors in TNG (not counting Majel, Wheaton or Crosby) appeared in more than ten episodes...

and they had 10 characters in TNG(not counting Majel, Wheaton, and Crosby) who appeared in more than 20 episodes.
And of course one of those recurring characters in TNG ended up getting promoted to series regular on DSN, O'Brien who had something like 55 appearences in TNG.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 12:37 PM   #69
lurok
Commodore

I wonder how much money they saved not hiring Bujold?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 08:13 PM   #70
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If they sued her, they could have made money.

If they didn't sue her, the rest of the cast could have felt entitled and safe enough to walk whenever they felt like it.

Old December 9 2012, 08:34 PM   #71
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Doctor is my favorite character on Voyager, so I dont mind his mobile emmiter.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 08:57 PM   #72
throwback
Captain

I was watching Archengela's channel on You Tube. He talks about the reset button and he talks about how lucky Voyager was. Under present conditions, Voyager would have been canceled in its first year. Archengela said that when viewing an episode of Voyager that it is better to forget what came before and what came after, and to view the episode as a stand-alone tale.

Personally, for me, Voyager and Enterprise are tied at the bottom for the two series I dislike most.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Archengeia
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 09:55 PM   #73
lurok
Commodore

throwback wrote: View Post
...it is better to forget what came before and what came after, and to view the episode as a stand-alone tale.
That's equally true of all Trek apart from the obvious season arcs in DS9 and ENT.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 10:35 PM   #74
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What pissed me off about TNG as I got older, was how misleading reading all those tng novels which were constantly referencing past episodes and re-established minor characters, as well as reading all the supporting nonfiction that explained how everything was connected, which was when I really began to notice how episodic and bottle necked TNG and TOS really was.

I just assumed that the production staff were not assholes but because my imagination filled in the gaps left by their carelessness and neglect, I was a none the wiser 12 year old.

Old December 9 2012, 10:54 PM   #75
Harvey
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But since you asked...

14 recurring actors in TNG (not counting Majel, Wheaton or Crosby) appeared in more than ten episodes...

and they had 10 characters in TNG(not counting Majel, Wheaton, and Crosby) who appeared in more than 20 episodes.
Assuming (like me) that you're just using IMDB, these numbers are a bit of a stretch, since IMDB lists a number of background performers alongside guest actors.

By my count, TNG had three recurring characters appear in more than ten episodes (O'Brien at 53, Guinan at 28, and Ogawa at 16).

It's been pointed out in this thread that VOY couldn't have recurring guest villains, since they were always on the move; DS9 could.

But that reasoning still doesn't hold up to my eyes. Excluding villains, DS9 had nine recurring characters who appeared in more than ten episodes; VOY had three (counting Seska, who was first part of the crew, and then a villain). Naomi Wildman appears in the most episodes (17), Seska is at 13, and Icheb is at 11. I'm too lazy to type out all the numbers, but DS9 featured (non-villain) guest stars much more frequently.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote