RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,270
Posts: 5,349,718
Members: 24,610
Currently online: 725
Newest member: VST

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 9 2012, 12:25 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

stj wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that nobody can be born with magnetic or telepathic powers either, but when it comes to fiction, I just let it go.
If one identical twin was born with magnetic or telepathic powers but the other one wasn't, you'd just let it go?
With twins one always get superspeed. The other gets hex powers.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:29 AM   #32
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Evans and Chiklis were very good as Torch and Thing.

Unfortunately, everything else about the first two FF movies were terrible. Jessica Alba was completely miscast as Sue. That Nip/Tuck guy as Doom was also awful.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:57 AM   #33
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Here's hoping that not only the writing is better but so is the casting. I still can't believe they cast Jessica Alba as Sue.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:07 AM   #34
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Hopefully the Thing will be done with mocap and CGI this time.
I disagree. The Thing makeup was the most effective thing about the previous movies. Sure, it didn't match the absurdly oversized version of the character in the comics today, but it looked great, like an Alex Ross painting from Marvels brought to life. I'll grant that performance capture has gotten to the point where it can be reasonably convincing, but there's no reason to use it when a real live human being can still play the part just as well. If they want to make him bigger, they can digitally alter his size in post-production as they did with Chris Evans's torso in Captain America.
A real live human being does play the part in motion capture. At least the type I'm thinking of, i.e. Bill Nighy as Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:22 AM   #35
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Really, I think Chiklis as The Thing was perfectly cast and almost perfectly executed. I've no problem with the "guy in a suit" thing with The Thing but in the movie it didn't look quiet right. The colors in the movie were too bright and too perfect and not natural looking at all so The Thing looked less like a walking hulk of rock and more like partly melted Payday bar.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:43 AM   #36
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

I think Fox should cast only Foxs in the reboot.

Matthew Fox as Reed
Megan Fox as Susan
Freddie Fox as Johnny
Vivica A. Fox as Alicia
and Special Guest Star Michael J. Fox as the voice of The Thing
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:52 AM   #37
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: A ship of Samuel Walters' imagination.
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

What the Fox are you smoking?
__________________
I'm starting to worry about this voyage ...
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:56 AM   #38
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander
 
Dantheman's Avatar
 
Location: Michigan USA
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for the source of their powers, I'm surprised that so many commenters here would expect them to use the old cosmic-ray origin. Previous Marvel movies have updated the characters' origins -- Hulk was created by a supersoldier formula (or nanotech in the Ang Lee version), Spidey was created by genetically engineered spiders rather than irradiated ones, etc. The previous FF movies replaced the "cosmic rays" with some sort of exotic space storm. I'm sure the new version will find its own way of updating the technobabble.
IIRC, the Ultimate version of the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom) got their powers from a teleportation accident that had them briefly exposed to another dimension. It's very complicated.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:18 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
A real live human being does play the part in motion capture.
I'm aware of that, of course. Many human beings are involved, including the performer, the character designer, and the animators. I just resist the kneejerk attitude that CGI is always preferable to conventional effects like miniatures or prosthetics. There are things that CGI is good for and things that prosthetics are good for. I see visual effects as an art form, and I've never seen the logic in thinking that one artistic technique should replace another rather than coexisting with it.


Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Really, I think Chiklis as The Thing was perfectly cast and almost perfectly executed. I've no problem with the "guy in a suit" thing with The Thing but in the movie it didn't look quiet right. The colors in the movie were too bright and too perfect and not natural looking at all so The Thing looked less like a walking hulk of rock and more like partly melted Payday bar.
I still say he looked like an Alex Ross painting brought to life, and thus it worked marvelously.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:29 AM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
A real live human being does play the part in motion capture.
I'm aware of that, of course. Many human beings are involved, including the performer, the character designer, and the animators. I just resist the kneejerk attitude that CGI is always preferable to conventional effects like miniatures or prosthetics. There are things that CGI is good for and things that prosthetics are good for. I see visual effects as an art form, and I've never seen the logic in thinking that one artistic technique should replace another rather than coexisting with it.


Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Really, I think Chiklis as The Thing was perfectly cast and almost perfectly executed. I've no problem with the "guy in a suit" thing with The Thing but in the movie it didn't look quiet right. The colors in the movie were too bright and too perfect and not natural looking at all so The Thing looked less like a walking hulk of rock and more like partly melted Payday bar.
I still say he looked like an Alex Ross painting brought to life, and thus it worked marvelously.
I dunno, different strokes. The colors and lighting were generally wrong in the F4 movies all over the place giving everything to much of a bright, non-realistic, too-colorful look. Yeah, I suppose is meant to go with the tone of the comic and the look of a comic but it didn't translate well on screen for me. The Thing looked too much like a costume and not much like, well, a chunk of rock.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:47 AM   #41
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
A real live human being does play the part in motion capture.
I'm aware of that, of course. Many human beings are involved, including the performer, the character designer, and the animators. I just resist the kneejerk attitude that CGI is always preferable to conventional effects like miniatures or prosthetics. There are things that CGI is good for and things that prosthetics are good for. I see visual effects as an art form, and I've never seen the logic in thinking that one artistic technique should replace another rather than coexisting with it.
There's nothing kneejerk about it. Using mocap for the Thing would allow for more flexibility on the filmmakers' part, and allow them to accomplish more with the character in action. The Thing looked decent in the first two movies, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on his looking like an Alex Ross painting come to life. In the Ross painting, the Thing looks like he's made of rock (or whatever rock-like substance he is, I can't remember now). In the movies I thought he looked like he was made of rubber. But people see things differently, so I don't see much use in arguing about it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:42 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Well, maybe I'm being too resistant to change. I liked the prosthetic Thing in the previous movies because CGI at the time was not up to portraying a basically human character as realistically, especially if you wanted that character to deliver dialogue and convey a subtle performance effectively. But in the wake of Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I suppose that's no longer the case, if the animation is done well enough.

And that's still the caveat with CGI to this day. Most people make this facile assumption that CGI can do anything more easily than conventional effects, but actually it's much harder to simulate real things convincingly in CG than with other methods, and it really only looks better if you have tons of time, money, and talent to put into it. Really good CG would be better than a rubber suit, but a rubber suit would be better than mediocre CG.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
Really good CG would be better than a rubber suit, but a rubber suit would be better than mediocre CG.
On that we can definitely agree.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 04:11 PM   #44
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
Here's hoping that not only the writing is better but so is the casting. I still can't believe they cast Jessica Alba as Sue.
It surely goes down as the worst piece of casting of all time.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:07 PM   #45
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

If you didn't know who Jessica Alba was, her Sue Storm was okay.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.