Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 8 2012, 08:48 PM   #766
Sheridan
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to Sheridan
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

I'm actually optimistic about the story to STID. If I remember correctly, wasn't the filming and production of this movie delayed so the writers could get the script "right"? This film was originally planned for 2012 right? I remember hearing stories about how long the script writing was taking. I also remember the writers saying they were taking in mind criticisms of Star Trek 2009. We also didn't have a writers strike this time which I think affected the 2009 movie in some way.

I was hoping for a more calmer Star Trek movie and that's obviously what were not getting. But an action movie isn't necessarily a mindless movie.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:50 PM   #767
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So after actually reading most of this thread after several days I see absolutely nothing to change my mind from what I already posted.

Some things I still shake my head over...comments that the 1 minute trailer has no shots of space??? Well the movie is 2 hrs long (120 min or so in case you weren't counting) and the teaser shows at least two alien planets...

Doesn't feel like Star Trek? We've had 10 movies before the JJ series, and they switched tone several times, from STTMP to Wrath of Khan, from the old crew to new. STIV was totally different from II and III, Insurrection was totally different from STFC. Many people feel the movies felt nothing like the original series they came from at all!

We have to take into account that Paramount wants these movies to be successful, and that has a lot to do with money... the trek series made well over a $1 billion, but they want more movies to make half a billion on their own like ST09 did (between BO grosses and home release). They need to have elements for the longtime fan, but also make the casual fans happy who are used to a certain level of blockbuster. By most accounts, professional and fans, ST09 did just THAT!

I'll re-iterate the ST ongoing comic book continuity because it seems as if it would be exceedingly easy to write it's back story in a flashback or in the teaser without ever mentioning it came from a comic book!!

"Star Trek is Star Wars"...how much starship combat did we have in ST09? Maybe 10 minutes total? Possibly less than STII the Wrath of Khan. Star Trek continues show a professional Starfleet crew using scientific methods to challenge the unknown, not some bogus Zen nonsense that appeals to history and golden ages.

The SFX...less elabroate and pervasive, but the ST09 FX looked a whole lot better than the three SW prequels. Even the current teaser has better volcanic FX in my opinion...however, just because a movie has a volcano and lava in it doesn't mean it's Revenge of the Sith...

RAMA
Old December 9 2012, 12:49 AM   #768
Mach5
Rear Admiral

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?
You'll never hear THAT in a Plinkett video.
Old December 9 2012, 01:22 AM   #769
Pondslider
Lieutenant

RAMA wrote: View Post
So after actually reading most of this thread after several days I see absolutely nothing to change my mind from what I already posted.

Some things I still shake my head over...comments that the 1 minute trailer has no shots of space??? Well the movie is 2 hrs long (120 min or so in case you weren't counting) and the teaser shows at least two alien planets...

Doesn't feel like Star Trek? We've had 10 movies before the JJ series, and they switched tone several times, from STTMP to Wrath of Khan, from the old crew to new. STIV was totally different from II and III, Insurrection was totally different from STFC. Many people feel the movies felt nothing like the original series they came from at all!

We have to take into account that Paramount wants these movies to be successful, and that has a lot to do with money... the trek series made well over a $1 billion, but they want more movies to make half a billion on their own like ST09 did (between BO grosses and home release). They need to have elements for the longtime fan, but also make the casual fans happy who are used to a certain level of blockbuster. By most accounts, professional and fans, ST09 did just THAT!

I'll re-iterate the ST ongoing comic book continuity because it seems as if it would be exceedingly easy to write it's back story in a flashback or in the teaser without ever mentioning it came from a comic book!!

"Star Trek is Star Wars"...how much starship combat did we have in ST09? Maybe 10 minutes total? Possibly less than STII the Wrath of Khan. Star Trek continues show a professional Starfleet crew using scientific methods to challenge the unknown, not some bogus Zen nonsense that appeals to history and golden ages.

The SFX...less elabroate and pervasive, but the ST09 FX looked a whole lot better than the three SW prequels. Even the current teaser has better volcanic FX in my opinion...however, just because a movie has a volcano and lava in it doesn't mean it's Revenge of the Sith...

RAMA
Good post.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 01:37 AM   #770
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Trekmovie.com has some info about the trailer coming out next week
Old December 9 2012, 01:41 AM   #771
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Oh noes.
There's space stuff and space battles in the movie after all.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 01:46 AM   #772
Pondslider
Lieutenant

If true it sounds very similar to some of the themes of
But quite possibly misdirection.
Old December 9 2012, 01:47 AM   #773
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Cumberbatch in a brig can only mean one thing: OMG, HE WANTED US TO CAPTURE HIM!!!!
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:06 AM   #774
dougkeenan
Commander

View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile

Is it possible the fly-over is to celebrate Kirk's birthday?
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:08 AM   #775
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

But those airplanes form the "missing man formation", not the "happy birthday formation".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:09 AM   #776
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

No.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:09 AM   #777
dougkeenan
Commander

View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile

In the old universe, maybe.
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:10 AM   #778
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

dougkeenan wrote: View Post
Is it possible the fly-over is to celebrate Kirk's birthday?
Not really.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:11 AM   #779
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

A birthday honor? Doubtful. I'm still thinking that the flyover is a tribute to a graduating class at the Academy or a funeral for a noteworthy officer of high rank. Kirk played a major role in the defeat of Nero and the Narada in the Battle of Earth and he's a hero....but I don't think birthdays warrant this kind of gathering and a full-blown flyover. He's not an Earth or Federation head of state or government or another dignitary.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 02:11 AM   #780
Pondslider
Lieutenant

London and San Francisco