Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8 2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
"it makes the movie look cheap" can be translated into "it makes the movie look different".
It's like you haven't even read any of the arguments against 48fps
I've read them, and the impression I get that is being said is that it no longer looks filmed, it looks too realistic with the lack of blurring, and that that also causes some folks headaches and vertigo. I can certainly understand a complaint about headaches and vertigo, but, I never thought I'd see a complaint in Film's never ending quest to look more lifelike to end up causing a complaint of too lifelike

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:01 PM   #32
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The motion blur is what gives a film its cinematic quality. High frame rate makes it appear that you are standing on a set next to the director

What bugs me is that this is "innovation" for the sake of it and Jackson and Cameron are doing it because they can. But Jackson, Cameron, and Lucas used to make innovations to make their films better and their stories work back in their respective heydays.
Old December 8 2012, 11:05 PM   #33
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sindatur wrote: View Post
but, I never thought I'd see a complaint in Film's never ending quest to look more lifelike to end up causing a complaint of too lifelike
Well, it takes some of the fantasy away. I no longer feel like I'm watching Gandalf walk around Middle Earth. I feel like I'm watching Ian McKellan walk around in a Gandalf costume. It's like somebody went to a LOTR play and filmed it with their HD phone.

Now, I haven't seen the finished product, so I don't know how it will really look. I am basing this off of a preview I saw several months ago.
Old December 9 2012, 12:08 AM   #34
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

"it makes the movie look cheap" can be translated into "it makes the movie look different".
It's like you haven't even read any of the arguments against 48fps
I've read them, and the impression I get that is being said is that it no longer looks filmed, it looks too realistic with the lack of blurring, and that that also causes some folks headaches and vertigo. I can certainly understand a complaint about headaches and vertigo, but, I never thought I'd see a complaint in Film's never ending quest to look more lifelike to end up causing a complaint of too lifelike
Headaches and vertigo caused by higher frame rate than 24fps makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The motion blur is what gives a film its cinematic quality. High frame rate makes it appear that you are standing on a set next to the director
Motion blur should still be there, because the usual shutter speed is well below 1/48 seconds.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 12:36 AM   #35
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Film's never ending quest to look more lifelike
I wasn't aware of such quest.
Old December 9 2012, 02:03 AM   #36
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Well, it takes some of the fantasy away. I no longer feel like I'm watching Gandalf walk around Middle Earth. I feel like I'm watching Ian McKellan walk around in a Gandalf costume. It's like somebody went to a LOTR play and filmed it with their HD phone.
That "movie magic" has always meant, to me, the ability to convey that what's happening on-screen could really happen - in whatever reality the film is set in. Advancing film to the point where it looks like we're watching a live stage presentation challenges that preconception I've always had. And raises the question: should there be a distinction - an illusion - associated with film? Without having seen 48fps, I can't say whether the challenge is justified. My only hope is that makes the suspension of disbelief easier so that I can just simply enjoy the story.
Old December 9 2012, 02:04 AM   #37
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Are you really feeling like watching a live stage presentation when there's giant 8 meter tall heads of actors floating above you?
Old December 9 2012, 02:18 AM   #38
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

As I said, not having seen 48fps, I cannot answer that question. *If* the reactions of others are taken at face value - and *if* 48fps makes me "no longer feel like I'm watching Gandalf walk around Middle Earth. [Instead] I feel like I'm watching Ian McKellan walk around in a Gandalf costume," then that seems to be the equivalent of watching a stage production (and, of course, stage productions themselves can be powerful and immersive). But because of the limitations of film, there has always been that distinction between cinema and the stage. So what happens when film reaches the point where it has no such limitations? Is that really a good thing?

Like I said, without having seen what 48fps actually looks like, I've no way of even answering the question - let alone determining whether or not the question itself is appropriate. But that seems to be the larger question we face: how "real" should cinema look?
Old December 9 2012, 02:19 AM   #39
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Film's never ending quest to look more lifelike
I wasn't aware of such quest.
Color, HD, 3D, CGI that doesn't look cartoonish... Does this not show a goal towards film/TV becoming more and more realistic?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 05:46 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

I always assumed that films were pretty much trying to work their way up to Trek's Holodecks. I really have no problem with a movie looking like it was filmed live, in the last couple months I watched the filmed productions of the Phantom of the Opera and Memphis plays, and I didn't have any more trouble getting into them than I would a regular movie.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 06:55 AM   #41
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

For me, the argument that 24 fps is "more cinematic" is silly. Its just something we've HAD for a 100 years. That's all. It's something that we are used to. We've been trained to accept as HOW films should look.

But WHY, why does motion blue equal more cinematic?

As far as it being "to realistic," I think as the technology improves, along with the cinematography, costumes and etc, I don't think that will be a problem.

And to be honest, I would LOVE it if it felt like a stage play. Stage plays, for me, are a more intimate experience, a more immediate experience.. For me, a stage play is watching something happen right in front of me, where as a movie at 24 fps is up there on a screen. And to be blunt, I've never lost track that Ian McKellan is playing Gandalf at 24 fps. I'm along for the story, but he doesn't magically literally become Gandalf.
Old December 9 2012, 01:13 PM   #42
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Movies don't look "cinematic" anymore anyways. Digital cameras and digital color grading, all that stuff ruined that long time ago.
Old December 9 2012, 03:30 PM   #43
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Movies don't look "cinematic" anymore anyways. Digital cameras and digital color grading, all that stuff ruined that long time ago.
While I don't agree, you do bring up a good question:

Are digital cameras LESS cinematic than film? There's no grain, which is something we are used to... Is Avatar LESS cinematic than Flight of the Navigator?

Is film stock MORE cinematic?
Old December 9 2012, 03:34 PM   #44
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
For me, the argument that 24 fps is "more cinematic" is silly. Its just something we've HAD for a 100 years. That's all. It's something that we are used to. We've been trained to accept as HOW films should look.

But WHY, why does motion blue equal more cinematic?

As far as it being "to realistic," I think as the technology improves, along with the cinematography, costumes and etc, I don't think that will be a problem.
One is not necessarily better than the other, in the absolute sense, but as you indicate, there is a cinematic look, or style if you prefer, that people are used to seeing in 24fps (which, admittedly has always changed and evolved), that is in many ways very different than a stage production. Some people like that style - not just because they are used to it, but because it appeals to them. This isn't new. People are often drawn to a specific artistic style - even when a more "realistic" presentation is available. Else, why black and white photography (or even instagram) when far more realistic captures are available? Why color grading?

I don't think there's an inherent criticism in going to 48fps (aside, perhaps, from the fact that, specifically for The Hobbit, it changes the aesthetic from LOTR to which The Hobbit is supposed to be explicitly connected) or striving for the most realistic presentation possible. But the question remains, will audiences (will I) want the stage presentation or the "cinematic" (for lack of a better word) presentation? I happen to think it's a fascinating question, and I'm looking forward to seeing 48fps myself to see what my own reaction will be to it.
Old December 9 2012, 03:44 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
While I don't agree, you do bring up a good question:

Are digital cameras LESS cinematic than film? There's no grain, which is something we are used to... Is Avatar LESS cinematic than Flight of the Navigator?

Is film stock MORE cinematic?
The problem is that "cinematic" has no definition. It's a feeling people have. When people say Best of Both Worlds feels like a movie, I don't get it, because for me it absolutely doesn't.