Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Most people watching the film will have no idea what cosmic rays are.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Gaith
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
reboots are getting faster and faster. Can't we wait a decent amount of time to let the last one cool off at least?
Yes, you can - via the revolutionary technological technique of not seeing reboots you're not interested in. But it's a patented technique, so, if you don't go see this, you owe me ten bucks. PM me for PayPal details. (And it's fifteen if you don't see it in 3D, either.)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Cosmic Ray, wasn't that Capt. Cosmic's Robot Sidekick?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:30 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
....No matter what no set of circumstances is going to:

1. Effectively turn your body into rubber giving you the ability to stretch and contort your body into any form.

2. Give you the ability to spontaneously combust into a being of fire capable of extreme temperature levels.

3. Give you the ability to render themselves invisible.

4. Give you the ability to create/project forcefields.

5. Give you the ability to alter mass and biology and become a walking creature of rock.
Yes, it takes a effort to suspend disbelief. But suppose you are a viewer game to make the effort. Then, you accept that cosmic rays in low Earth orbit did do these incredible things. After all you saw them on screen. Easier to suspend with good FX, but a willing imagination can help the shoddiest CGI, no? But at the same moment you are to also to remember and accept that cosmic rays did not do any thing like this to any of the other many people who've gone into orbit! You are asked to believe cosmic rays did and did not do such things.

Asking willing suspension of disbelief is one thing. Demanding willing suspension of critical faculties when faced with a self-contradiction is quite another. I think the latter is bad writing.
IIRC it was a special condition of cosmic rays, higher than normal or combined with the equipment or something like that. Needless to say, I don't think it needs to be "explained" much more than a handwaving. It's rather small and insignificant part of the story, overall.

In Nolan's more "realistic" Batman movies we've got microwaves that causes water to instantly turn to steam (yet not harming the people around who are also made up of mostly water) and a man with severe burns able to pretty much walk around for the better part of a day without being in agonizing pain or dying from severe infections. (Not to mention having a useful eye.) Shit, when foregoed medical attention he wasn't even in an isolation ward!

I think we cannot examine these things too closely. How did the Fantastic Four's exposure to cosmic radiation impact them and not others who went into orbit before them? It was simply the fall of the cards and the roll of the dice. They went at precisely the wrong time. Like all of the Apollo astronauts who managed to survive exposure to radiation outside of the Van-Allen Belt, it just happened to be at the right time with low solar activity. If that calculation would've been wrong they would have been irradiated to death.
Old December 8 2012, 09:00 PM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Cosmic Ray, wasn't that Capt. Cosmic's Robot Sidekick?
Nah, that was 2T2.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 8 2012, 10:11 PM   #21
stj
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
IIRC it was a special condition of cosmic rays, higher than normal or combined with the equipment or something like that. Needless to say, I don't think it needs to be "explained" much more than a handwaving. It's rather small and insignificant part of the story, overall.
I sort of agree: Any explanation will be handwaving and it's a small detail. But it's still significant in allowing us to suspend disbelief. A genuinely good explanation would be better writing than a merely sciencey-sounding one, but truly rationalizing this stuff is beyond any human. But whatever fictional science is used needs to be well-written fictional science.

In Nolan's more "realistic" Batman movies....
I don't like the Nolan movies. Chris Nolan wouldn't dream of sticking his hand into a working microwave but can't see how silly his microwave weapon was. But we have to "see" microwaves both working and not working at the same moment. And he did stuff like that while confusing drab or confused or merely cynical with realism. Feh.

How did the Fantastic Four's exposure to cosmic radiation impact them and not others who went into orbit before them?
Well, the early comics clearly established that cosmic rays would give other people super-powers, and their pet apes too. The Red Ghost. Perhaps I'm mistaken, relying on memory, but unlike you I don't think the early comics ever answered the question, despite man's continued march into space.

I don't think it's excessively demanding to expect a new movie adaptation to try to clean this origin up a little.
Old December 8 2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that nobody can be born with magnetic or telepathic powers either, but when it comes to fiction, I just let it go.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:48 PM   #23
Vice Admiral

A reboot after TWO movies? This must be a new record...
Old December 8 2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Skywalker
Admiral

47 wrote: View Post
The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Hulk. So, no, not a record.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:57 PM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

47 wrote: View Post
Nah, the Punisher was rebooted after one.
Old December 8 2012, 11:29 PM   #26
Vice Admiral

Not sure you can call it a reboot after only one movie. More like a retry to me...
Old December 8 2012, 11:38 PM   #27
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

reboots are getting faster and faster. Can't we wait a decent amount of time to let the last one cool off at least?
When the original was a misfire, the reboot can't happen too fast. I agree with 47, this is a "retry," as in "if at first you don't succeed..."

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'd be excited for this if it wasn't still with FOX
Yeah. But I'll hope for the best.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:42 PM   #28
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

But at the same moment you are to also to remember and accept that cosmic rays did not do any thing like this to any of the other many people who've gone into orbit!
"Wow that strange energy wave that we know nothing about give us super powers!" - same outcome no mention of cosmic rays.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 12:17 AM   #29
stj
Rear Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that nobody can be born with magnetic or telepathic powers either, but when it comes to fiction, I just let it go.
If one identical twin was born with magnetic or telepathic powers but the other one wasn't, you'd just let it go?
Old December 9 2012, 12:17 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Hopefully the Thing will be done with mocap and CGI this time.
I disagree. The Thing makeup was the most effective thing about the previous movies. Sure, it didn't match the absurdly oversized version of the character in the comics today, but it looked great, like an Alex Ross painting from Marvels brought to life. I'll grant that performance capture has gotten to the point where it can be reasonably convincing, but there's no reason to use it when a real live human being can still play the part just as well. If they want to make him bigger, they can digitally alter his size in post-production as they did with Chris Evans's torso in Captain America.

And hopefully the writing will actually be better, of course.
Can't disagree there. And cast Sue Storm based on the actress's talent and screen presence, not just how good she looks in her underwear.

20th Century Fox can't wait past a certain length of time, or they'll lose their license back to Marvel. Those are the terms of their contract. Licenses like that are usually a use-it-or-lose-it proposition.

Some people think it would be good if Marvel got the rights to all their characters back, and I used to think that as well, but it's been pointed out that if only one studio had all the Marvel superhero rights, it wouldn't be able to make as many movies per year as could 2-3 studios with the rights split among them. So I'm fine with Fox putting this movie into production so they can keep the rights. I don't see a problem with the short interval. Heck, the previous two movies weren't very good; why should their mere existence prevent the studio from trying to do a better version? In what way is that not "decent?"

As for the source of their powers, I'm surprised that so many commenters here would expect them to use the old cosmic-ray origin. Previous Marvel movies have updated the characters' origins -- Hulk was created by a supersoldier formula (or nanotech in the Ang Lee version), Spidey was created by genetically engineered spiders rather than irradiated ones, etc. The previous FF movies replaced the "cosmic rays" with some sort of exotic space storm. I'm sure the new version will find its own way of updating the technobabble.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote