Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 8 2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Trekfan76137
Ensign

Re: Mystery ship? Can anyone help?

Actually I believe it's fairly well documented that that shot is an experiment with using a cg Enterprise model.

The giveaway had to do with the running lights I believe.

Possibly referenced in Larry Nemecek's TNG Companion book and some other places if I remember correctly.
Trekfan76137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It's the two-footer. There are no CGI shots of the Enterprise in TNG.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Trekfan76137 wrote: View Post
Actually I believe it's fairly well documented that that shot is an experiment with using a cg Enterprise model.

Possibly referenced in Larry Nemecek's TNG Companion book and some other places if I remember correctly.
I remember reading the same thing. That it was an experiment, and they didn't like the results, so they never tried it again.

This used to be in the article from Memory Alpha, but was removed for not citing a source. I guess that's where I got it from:

This episode contains one of the first instances of computer-generated imagery (CGI) to grace an episode of the Star Trek franchise. As the Sheliak colony vessel approaches the Enterprise (approximately, 33:18), one of the few exterior shots of both vessels together, the distant Enterprise-D is a CGI model rather than a physical entity. The shot is very brief and the CGI replica is often mistaken for the similar two-foot filming model, however still-frame analysis reveals that the computer-generated Enterprise lacks much of the detail found on even the tiny two-foot model. Because of this, a CGI Enterprise would not be seen again until the first TNG feature film, Star Trek Generations, by which time computer technology had progressed significantly.
That being said, it looks very fake and low resolution. Even the worst shot of the 2-foot model looks better than that. I guess we'll find out one way or another when it's remastered.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:07 PM   #19
StewMc
Commodore

There doesn't seem to be a confirmed, legitimate source of the "CGI Enterprise-D" claim, a Google search only really reveals the Memory Alpha page and a couple of threads on this BBS where its brought up. It certainly looks less detailed than the 2 footer, infact it reminds me of the CG Enterprise-D that appeared in the cutscenes of the game "A Final Unity". In this thread, even Rick Sternbach doesn't know what model was used.

Did the 2 footer actually appear in new footage much after the second season? I seem to remember most of the new shots being of the 4 footer.

Last edited by StewMc; December 8 2012 at 08:20 PM.
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Trekfan76137 wrote: View Post
Can't be that, as the running lights can be seen in operation on the 2ft in Pen Pals.

StewMc wrote: View Post
Did the 2 footer actually appear in new footage much after the second season? I seem to remember most of the new shots being of the 4 footer.
The 4ft didn't debut until The Defector, eight episodes after Ensigns. So if they needed a small scale Enterprise, it was all they had until then.

There's another way to know it's not CGI. Just watch the shot in question. Often times with the model work, the hull pass would be cropped ever so slightly differently to one or more of the lighting passes, so at the edge of the frame you would see the lights where there was no hull or vice versa. And that happens on this shot. There is visible space where only the lighting pass is visible and the hull element is cut off.

That said, it still looks like crap and I hope it is replaced in S3. Which is what TrekFan was saying originally.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote