RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,123
Posts: 5,401,101
Members: 24,743
Currently online: 573
Newest member: jessydhillon

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 8 2012, 02:08 PM   #751
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Arianna wrote: View Post
Thinking about the fly-over scene and the different uniforms. IF it is a funeral or a memorial service it could be for all the deaths on Vulcan.
Doubtful.
It has been said that there will be a time gap between the movies.
Not as long as the real life gap but enough that the crew has already had some adventures together.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:45 PM   #752
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Arianna wrote: View Post
Thinking about the fly-over scene and the different uniforms. IF it is a funeral or a memorial service it could be for all the deaths on Vulcan.
Doubtful.
It has been said that there will be a time gap between the movies.
Not as long as the real life gap but enough that the crew has already had some adventures together.
Who is speaking in this scene is Kirk. I think it is in the end of film. Maybe a memorial Pike death.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:24 PM   #753
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
high res screengrabs including 2 shots from the Japanese trailer:

http://www.forevergeek.com/2012/12/h...rkness-teaser/
See, right there in these screen captures. That first picture is trying its best to be like one of Coruscant. And the bad guy jumping/falling into the fight, complete with dramatic crouch. Sheesh! Total Star Warsy.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:31 PM   #754
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

That jump crouch thing is more Matrix-y than anything else.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:43 PM   #755
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

ralph wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Arianna wrote: View Post
Thinking about the fly-over scene and the different uniforms. IF it is a funeral or a memorial service it could be for all the deaths on Vulcan.
Doubtful.
It has been said that there will be a time gap between the movies.
Not as long as the real life gap but enough that the crew has already had some adventures together.
Who is speaking in this scene is Kirk. I think it is in the end of film. Maybe a memorial Pike death.
That thought occured to me, too. If it's a memorial for Vulcan, then you'd almost have to expect prominent surviving Vulcans, Spock, Sarek and even Spock Prime seen sitting near the podium. Not just Starfleet brass. That's also why I doubt it's a memorial for Spock. No Spock Prime, Sarek, or other Vulcans around.

I don't think a memorial for Mitchell would garner such a turnout.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:52 PM   #756
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Skyfall, Star Trek, The Dark Knight
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 05:59 PM   #757
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This can be easily explained in a 1 minute 30 second flashback montage sequence
Wouldn't that necessitate a ridiculous set of contrivances beforehand? Going by how they did it in the first movie...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:47 PM   #758
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Shazam! wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This can be easily explained in a 1 minute 30 second flashback montage sequence
Wouldn't that necessitate a ridiculous set of contrivances beforehand? Going by how they did it in the first movie...
Ya can bet yer arse, Captin, that this film will contain just as much character idiocy and plot contrivances than the first film.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:50 PM   #759
Arianna
Ensign
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Franklin wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

Doubtful.
It has been said that there will be a time gap between the movies.
Not as long as the real life gap but enough that the crew has already had some adventures together.
Who is speaking in this scene is Kirk. I think it is in the end of film. Maybe a memorial Pike death.
That thought occured to me, too. If it's a memorial for Vulcan, then you'd almost have to expect prominent surviving Vulcans, Spock, Sarek and even Spock Prime seen sitting near the podium. Not just Starfleet brass. That's also why I doubt it's a memorial for Spock. No Spock Prime, Sarek, or other Vulcans around.

I don't think a memorial for Mitchell would garner such a turnout.
Fair enough. But how would OldSpock explain who he was?
Still hoping it's not Pike's funeral. I thought that actor added a lot to the last film.

I would prefer if BC is a new character instead of rehasing an old tv episode. Nero was new and that movie still did very well.
Arianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:52 PM   #760
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Even the greatest sci-fi/fantasy films have laughable contrivances in their plots. Even the most iconic four or five star movies aren't immune from the occasional WTF? moment when you actually take the time to analyze them.

Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?

That's not an Achilles heel. That's an Achilles planet.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:59 PM   #761
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?
Then the Empire builds another one with the exact same weakness.
__________________
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:03 PM   #762
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?
Then the Empire builds another one with the exact same weakness.
Yep. I mean, it was different to the extent that there was no more shaft to shoot proton torpedoes into, but there were gaping holes in the second station's incomplete infrastructure that would allow any Rebel ship lucky enough to make it to the central reactor chamber to set off a chain reaction and destroy the entire thing, and if you ask me that's a hell of a lot easier than hoping your aim at a two-meter exhaust port is good enough.

Once the shield generator on Endor was knocked out the second Death Star was doomed. Emperor Palpatine grew too cocky or too stupid (or both) with age if you ask me.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:04 PM   #763
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?
Then the Empire builds another one with the exact same weakness.
But the second Death Star didn't have the exact same weakness.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:05 PM   #764
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Think about it. The Galactic Empire builds a monstrous armored space station that's 100 miles in diameter and capable of destroying an entire planet with one huge burst from its main weapon, yet the designers left a fatal weakness in the design that not only left the most powerful weapon in that entire galaxy vulnerable but led directly to the main reactor? No shielding or protective plating in between to keep something from reaching the core? Just a long, long shaft straight to the one part of the station that would trigger a colossal explosion and make the whole weapon utterly pointless?
Then the Empire builds another one with the exact same weakness.
I can criticize Jedi for many things, large and small, but I'll forgive it for that. First of all, I get the impression that a station like that needs a main reactor. Second, they were still building the station. They probably would have surrounded the reactor with extra armor and shielded the exhaust port later in the construction. They made up for this weakness by creating a separate shield generated from the planet. Plus, the weaknesses in the station itself and the shield were left there as bait for the rebels anyway.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:09 PM   #765
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Let's all just hope there isn't a third Death Star in one of the Sequel Trilogy films....the second one pushed credibility and storytelling freshness enough.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.