Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 8 2012, 09:02 AM   #1531
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

As we are all rewatching season 2 at the moment, does somebody happen to know which piece of classical music Data plays on Holmes' violin in front of the fireplace in "Elementary, Dear Data"?

I'm trying to find the missing pieces in this article:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Euro...lassical_music
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:31 AM   #1532
throwback
Captain

I am happy that I have the set. I enjoyed the extended cut of "The Measure of a Man". My favorite scene was the crew defending Data during the farewell party.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 01:33 PM   #1533
SillyTilly
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine arrived this morning and I have just watched The Child. Amazing picture quality. I was really amazed how good it looked. There were one or two shots that looked rather grainy but overall it looked pin sharp.
SillyTilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:27 PM   #1534
NewHorizon
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I think it's just one more example of many with the lack of quality and care that went into the S2 effects work. So glad I stood by my decision not to buy it.
You're missing out.

While some issues do exist, overall the set is a solid 'B' compared to season one's 'A+'.

Glad I decided to go ahead and pick it up.
Extras aside, I'm not really missing all that much. A clearer picture, yup, but in terms of the episodes...I can watch them anytime I want on Netflix with fewer mistakes.

I grew up watching TNG on a small TV with a set top antenna. It was fuzzy and the color would fade in and out. The DVD's and even Netflix are a huge improvement over that. So for HTV to do the bare minimum and just make it a bit clearer, but with more visual effects mistakes is not really worth 60 to 80 dollars for me.

Maybe I'll buy it used off of someone someday for 20 bucks. I'm patient enough to wait a few more years.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:28 PM   #1535
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I had a $25 Amazon gift card, so I paid $39.99 for the set. I sold the DVD set for around $20, so I paid $19.99 to upgrade. I'm glad I did.

So far, I've seen the 1st two episodes. Yes, I notice the mediocre effects shots, and the disparity in smoothed-vs.-natural live shots, and am disappointed in them.

Yet, overall the increase in resolution, color accuracy, and lossless audio make it a worthwhile investment.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 03:55 PM   #1536
TrekAlliance92
Captain

I've watched two episodes so far on 2 HDTVs, and honestly, I'm impressed. The external shots that I've seen so far look pretty great, maybe I just don't have the eye (or the TV!) that some of you do. The picture looks great on both "Time Squared" and "Unnatural Selection," especially the live-action shots, but also the special effects.

I'm looking forward to watching more from the set, and also the special features--which were awesome on the season 1 set.

And, I have to say, that Season 3 trailer...*drool*
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:03 PM   #1537
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I grew up watching TNG on a small TV with a set top antenna. It was fuzzy and the color would fade in and out.
As did I.

But I don't have to watch it that way any more and I'm very thankful for that.
Old December 8 2012, 04:12 PM   #1538
MPH
Rear Admiral

I think it's just one more example of many with the lack of quality and care that went into the S2 effects work. So glad I stood by my decision not to buy it.
Im still getting it for Christmas and even if its not as good as S1 its surely about 10 times better than the DVD.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 04:37 PM   #1539
NewHorizon
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
As did I.

But I don't have to watch it that way any more and I'm very thankful for that.
Nor do I. Netflix on Demand is good enough for me as far as Season 2 is concerned, at least until I can get S2 used for 20 bucks.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:42 PM   #1540
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched Loud as a Whisper, and it's a much quieter and more interesting episode than I remembered. Other than the attack on Riva's interpreters (which truly does look horrific now in HD), there isn't any action at all, but I still found it strangely compelling to watch.

Although it does still seem like a HUGE stretch that these warring aliens would ever be patient enough to sit around learning sign language to understand him. Somehow I can't imagine something like that working in the Middle East. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:49 PM   #1541
throwback
Captain

I am finding it interesting that, once again, Michael Okuda is arbitrarily changing his original work. I understand him adding regulations for the extended cut of "The Measure of a Man". Today, while browsing Memory Alpha, I discovered that there were changes to the "Up the Long Ladder" ship list Okudagram.

I have been accused by some as attempting to explain what wasn't meant to make sense or matter by the production staff. Yet, in two seasons of remastered TNG, we have had Okuda changed graphics that most viewers wouldn't bother to analyze or notice.

In the "Up the Long Ladder" ship list, these are the known changes:
* The captain of the SS Tomobiki was changed from Peter Lauritson to Dave Glick.
* The mission of the SS Seattle was changed from ADR Looping to Diplomatic Mission to SR-47.
* The location for the diplomatic mission for the HMS New Zealand was changed from Alderaan to Aldebaran.
* The captain of the SS Urusei Yatsura was changed from Dave Glick (see above) to Steve Tucker.
* The captain of the VK Velikan was changed from Gene Roddenberry to Mike Volland. Likewise, the mission for this ship changed from Explore Strange New Worlds to Stellar Chart Mapping.

This is a lot of work to do on a chart that only appears for a few seconds. Apparently, there are individuals involved on the production side who do believe that these graphics should make sense or do matter.

Why does Okuda only re-do some of his graphics, and not some others? I asked the question on the last season, and I ask again.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:58 PM   #1542
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I've always loved Okudagrams. And I like them even more when they have that kind of detail to them
Old December 8 2012, 06:59 PM   #1543
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Watched Loud as a Whisper, and it's a much quieter and more interesting episode than I remembered. Other than the attack on Riva's interpreters (which truly does look horrific now in HD), there isn't any action at all, but I still found it strangely compelling to watch.

Although it does still seem like a HUGE stretch that these warring aliens would ever be patient enough to sit around learning sign language to understand him. Somehow I can't imagine something like that working in the Middle East. Lol
Loud as a Whisper is a very good episode with a good message in it. It's one I very much enjoy. Even though one thing I find odd this is one of the episodes where Troi is pretty much used as the ship's concubine-on-call to entertain a visiting guest at his own whims.

Another oddity, I guess I can understand the absence of a sign-language in the 24c, even to the point of it apparently not even being part of the universal translator. (Which, really, should have "read" Riva's signs and then presented them in an audible sound in one fashion or another. Riva apparently could read lips and didn't need things signed TO him. Though who knows how that works when you've never heard any kind of sound whatsoever.) Medical technology has apparently advanced enough to correct all forms of deafness with prosthetics or other means.

But how is any kind of "gestural language" never heard of? Worf, the ship's security chief, remarks how such a thing could be useful in combat. !?!

So, Worf, you mean backwards 21st cenutry SWAT teams have better communication in combat than you do?
Old December 8 2012, 07:08 PM   #1544
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

throwback wrote: View Post
Why does Okuda only re-do some of his graphics, and not some others? I asked the question on the last season, and I ask again.
Are there other charts that have not been changed, maintaining any original in-jokes and production staff references? If so, that's indeed strange.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:37 PM   #1545
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Loud as a Whisper is a very good episode with a good message in it. It's one I very much enjoy. Even though one thing I find odd this is one of the episodes where Troi is pretty much used as the ship's concubine-on-call to entertain a visiting guest at his own whims.
Ha, yeah, it was hard to miss how decidedly uncomfortable she looked with the attention Riva was giving her.

Unless that was supposed to be shyness, and Sirtis just did a lousy job communicating it. Lol

Another oddity, I guess I can understand the absence of a sign-language in the 24c, even to the point of it apparently not even being part of the universal translator. (Which, really, should have "read" Riva's signs and then presented them in an audible sound in one fashion or another. Riva apparently could read lips and didn't need things signed TO him. Though who knows how that works when you've never heard any kind of sound whatsoever.) Medical technology has apparently advanced enough to correct all forms of deafness with prosthetics or other means.
Yeah, I was surprised Data wasn't able to recognize it immediately, with the wealth of knowledge that's already programmed into him. And the way everyone else was just completely baffled by his signing was pretty laughable as well.

Surely Starfleet has encountered other alien races that used some form of gestural language to communicate. Or to at least supplement their spoken language in some way.

It also seems pretty lucky that the signs Data learned from the computer just happened to match up with Riva's alien language.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote