Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 8 2012, 06:17 AM   #1
hayesc0
Lieutenant

parallels could have had a character from ds9

I think that episode would have been the perfect chance to maybe have sisko as the captain of the enterprise or maybe dax as chief of operations on the enterprise
hayesc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: parallels could have had a character from ds9

Yeah, but when the episode was filmed in 1993, it's unlikely anyone (including Michael Dorn) suspected Worf would transfer to DS9.
Old December 8 2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I think he's looking at it the other way around, DS9 character appearing on TNG. Sisko getting over the loss of wife earlier and getting command of the Enterprise after losing Picard to the Borg and requesting Jadzia to be on the Enterprise as the Chief Science Officer and Data as Chief Operations officer and Second Officer.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

That might have worked, but it would have distracted from Worf's story. And Sisko and Dax would have required additional speaking parts as glorified extras. A story focused in that type of universe might have worked. I was never that thrilled with the show crossover appearances in "Birthright", the DS9 characters should have been more involved with the plot. Or they should have set up a 2-parter in TNG, with the conclusion told on DS9's show.
Old December 8 2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Sisko perhaps, but not Dax especially in 1993. Bashir in one of the sickbay scenes throwing wisecracks at Data would been cool.

And the fact nobody from the DS9 cast was a part of the plot was a great thing. Just because the Enterprise went to DS9 doesn't mean Sisko, Kira, Dax or Bashir has to be part of the plot. Ships come in and go. The senior staff of those ships probably don't often interact except for asking Kira permission to dock or leave.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
^Sisko perhaps, but not Dax especially in 1993. Bashir in one of the sickbay scenes throwing wisecracks at Data would been cool.

And the fact nobody from the DS9 cast was a part of the plot was a great thing. Just because the Enterprise went to DS9 doesn't mean Sisko, Kira, Dax or Bashir has to be part of the plot. Ships come in and go. The senior staff of those ships probably don't often interact except for asking Kira permission to dock or leave.
No just thinking that in one timeline, Sisko could have been promoted Captain and given the Enterprise after Picard was lost in the battle with the Borg.

In DS9 it always seemed to me that Sisko requested Jadzia be assigned to him. It could also have happened when he got the Command of the Federation flag ship.

It could have been interesting.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old December 8 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Kinggodzillak
Commander

hayesc0 wrote: View Post
I think that episode would have been the perfect chance to maybe have sisko as the captain of the enterprise or maybe dax as chief of operations on the enterprise
Or Kira in command of the Bajoran ship that attacked them.
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 01:14 PM   #8
starburst
Fleet Captain

The easiest, least distracting and most obvious would of been to have O'Brien in one of the universes in one of the Engineering scenes.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:09 PM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

They also could have had characters from either TNG or Voyager in DS9's mirror universe. I know they had Tuvok appear once, but never the vivacious and emotional Anika Hansen.

I agree it would have been cool to have crossover appearances from DS9 in Parallels, just as Bashir appeared in Birthright, maybe they didn't because of shooting schedules?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It is a little disappointing TNG never did a mirror universe story. The closest we get is "Yesterday's Enterprise". The question is, who would have worn the obligatory beard?
Old December 9 2012, 01:26 AM   #11
Finn
Vice Admiral

^You are disappoinated? Have you seen half of the MU episodes on DS9
Old December 9 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Had TNG done a MU episode before DS9, then DS9 would have their MU like the one shown in TNG. Hopefully it would be one with the Terran Empire still in power or fighting to keep it.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old December 9 2012, 02:44 AM   #13
Dream
Admiral

They had the PERFECT opportunity to do many kickass crossovers between TNG and DS9 casts like Buffy/Angel and Hercules/Xena.

But they completely squandered it! That's what pissed me off the most!
Old December 9 2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
hayesc0 wrote: View Post
Or Kira in command of the Bajoran ship that attacked them.
I like that idea.

Also, in that last universe - where it was Bajor who'd occupied Cardassia - have Garak be an officer on the Enterprise...
Old December 9 2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Finn
Vice Admiral

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Had TNG done a MU episode before DS9, then DS9 would have their MU like the one shown in TNG. Hopefully it would be one with the Terran Empire still in power or fighting to keep it.
Depends on which producer was behind the TNG's MU episodes and who had the MU show up on DS9.