New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 7 2012, 11:59 PM   #1516
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

You know if we're going to go through this frame-by-frame to pick out the most minor and smallest of errors....
Old December 8 2012, 01:52 AM   #1517
dg1379
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You know if we're going to go through this frame-by-frame to pick out the most minor and smallest of errors....
Read my mind!
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:07 AM   #1518
Salinga
Captain

Again: How can someone work on a special effects scene like this, sitting at his desk and looking at it on his monitor for at least an hour - probably much more - and NOT see this?

How?
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:09 AM   #1519
Borjis
Commodore

Salinga wrote: View Post
Again: How can someone work on a special effects scene like this, sitting at his desk and looking at it on his monitor for at least an hour - probably much more - and NOT see this?

How?

And Dan Curry said in that interview of a vfx artist: "If I have to stay late to make sure the shot looks good, I stay late...."

uh huh.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:37 AM   #1520
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

How?
Shit happens. Want to complain about the poor lighting on the ships, not fixing some of the wash from the blue-screens onto the stage, or even the errors of the scenery extending beyond the clipped ship? Fine, even though some of those are pretty quick errors you have to look for to notice. But to examine and zoom in on some overlay on a few frames of the view screen? That's getting damn petty and just needlessly picky.

I admit there's a lot of problems with the way the effects were done in this season (and CBS/Paramount obviously agreed so they switched back to their home house to do the other seasons), the colors in the opening of "The Child" look bad, I'll grant that, that's a major, big, shot too. It's obvious and hard to ignore. I think I can overlook this very, very minor issue with a sliver of the monitor intruding on the wall.
Old December 8 2012, 02:40 AM   #1521
Dream
Admiral

I think I can overlook this very, very minor issue with a sliver of the monitor intruding on the wall.
I don't think I would have even noticed a problem if the big red circle wasn't drawn on it by that person.
Old December 8 2012, 02:44 AM   #1522
NewHorizon
Captain

I think it's just one more example of many with the lack of quality and care that went into the S2 effects work. So glad I stood by my decision not to buy it.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:51 AM   #1523
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I think it's just one more example of many with the lack of quality and care that went into the S2 effects work. So glad I stood by my decision not to buy it.
You're missing out.

While some issues do exist, overall the set is a solid 'B' compared to season one's 'A+'.

Glad I decided to go ahead and pick it up.
Old December 8 2012, 03:16 AM   #1524
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Same here, the effects restoration work certainly leaves a LOT to be desired and a lot really does make me wonder how it passed muster but, overall, I'm glad I bought the set. A sliver of viewscreen on the wall, or an off-color space shot isn't going to prevent me from enjoying the episodes.
Old December 8 2012, 03:18 AM   #1525
trekker670
Captain

Borjis wrote: View Post

How?

And Dan Curry said in that interview of a vfx artist: "If I have to stay late to make sure the shot looks good, I stay late...."

uh huh.
As a programmer, I know that late nights are precisely what allows mistakes like these to come through. They're subtle (really, not a big deal IMHO), but keeps a product from being perfect and if you're tired or rushed to get it done, you won't notice it.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 05:22 AM   #1526
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Up the Long Ladder

In spite of the -very- broad stereotypes with the Irish colonists in this episode this is one I really enjoy. The woman leader of the Irish colony was a fun strong female character, I liked most of the interactions between the colonists and the Enterprise crew and the final solution I find to be an interesting one too as it is presented. Not one of Trek's more solid episodes, sure, but I think it is one that holds up.
Old December 8 2012, 05:51 AM   #1527
Salinga
Captain

Shit happens.
lol, since these mistakes happened on a "regular basis" with season 2, you are saying "Shit Happens" is the standard rule for HTV's restauration work?
Old December 8 2012, 05:55 AM   #1528
Salinga
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
And Dan Curry said in that interview of a vfx artist: "If I have to stay late to make sure the shot looks good, I stay late...."uh huh.
As a programmer, I know that late nights are precisely what allows mistakes like these to come through.
But Curry said it to imply: We did these over hours to make sure, the work has the best quality. Now you are saying, Curry in fact ment: We had to work over hours to get it somehow done in the given amount of time!?
Old December 8 2012, 05:58 AM   #1529
trekker670
Captain

And Dan Curry said in that interview of a vfx artist: "If I have to stay late to make sure the shot looks good, I stay late...."uh huh.
As a programmer, I know that late nights are precisely what allows mistakes like these to come through.
But Curry said it to imply: We did these over hours to make sure, the work has the best quality. Now you are saying, Curry in fact ment: We had to work over hours to get it somehow done in the given amount of time!?
I'm not implying that is what he meant, I'm just saying that when employees are tired, mistakes happen. My original statement was more of a joke than anything serious.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:02 AM   #1530
Salinga
Captain

I'm not implying that is what he meant, I'm just saying that when employees are tired, mistakes happen. My original statement was more of a joke than anything serious.
lol, mine too. Hence the smiley.