Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 7 2012, 01:10 AM   #31
lurok
Commodore

Re: How many reset buttons?

Robbie Carlyle has a very devoted fanbase.

Just sayin'.

Holy cow: just changed into a Commodore!

[sings] 'Cause I'm easy...easy like...
Old December 7 2012, 01:11 AM   #32
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Hey I can't be in everybody's fanbase. I'm spread kind of thin as it is.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:14 AM   #33
teacake
Admiral

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post

Holy cow: just changed into a Commodore!

[sings] 'Cause I'm easy...easy like...
That's funny because I just assumed you've always been here. And now I see that this is not the case

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 7 2012, 01:19 AM   #34
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But they weren't here hands.

They were Ming-Na's.

(YAA BODYSWITCHING MAGIC STONES!!!)

I really wish that they would have followed up on that.

It was completely of a violation, unless the women worked out a deal before hand.

"Yes you can kiss him, but I not raising his baby in deep space, so keep my legs crossed... Now I'm going to draw some diagrams of things I like to do with my girlfriend, just point out anything that you think might be a health risk."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:20 AM   #35
lurok
Commodore

It's weird seeing status change while online. Like losing your virginity while sober.
Old December 7 2012, 01:20 AM   #36
teacake
Admiral

Apparently they sign contracts saying anything's a go.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 7 2012, 03:00 AM   #37
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Solsticequaze wrote: View Post
No, Voyager deservedly gets crap because it leaned on the reset button like no other Trek show before it or since.
Because they could.
TNG nor DS9 could use the reset because it would have effected events in both shows. Voyager can use the reset as much as it wants because the events in which are reset doesn't effect any other timeline but their own.

Seriously, folks get upset over Voyager using the reset, complain about lack of continuity and yet Troi has been mind raped, abducted, stripped naked to be sold into human trafficking and one week later she's back flirting with Riker and eating chocolate as if nothing happened.
Anybody forget about Geordi's mom? Yeah, so did he.
Worf's white human brother? Never heard of him before or after his introduction.

DS9- How come the Letheian that read Dr. Bashir's mind knew ALL his secrets, personality traits and his fears...............except the biggest one, he was lying and hiding his genetic altering?

Jadzia Dax used the transporter all the time, to spite us being told in TNG that Trills can't use Transporters.

None of the shows were good with continuity.
Some fans just pick and choose what they notice and what they don't or jump on the bash Voyager wagon cause it's cool.

Last edited by exodus; December 7 2012 at 03:22 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 03:28 AM   #38
teacake
Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Some fans just pick and choose what they notice and what they don't or jump on the bash Voyager wagon cause it's cool.
BUT it's not as cool to bash since we got ENT.

What happened to you VOY, you used to be cool.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 7 2012, 03:39 AM   #39
exodus
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I don't think people are mad at Voyager for having time travel episodes where the timeline reset at the end.

People are mad for having no continuity between one episode and the next. In The Next Generation no matter how badly the ship is damaged or how low they run on supplies they can dock at the next available starbase and be repaired and restocked. If random security guy #7842 dies they can get him replaced. On Voyager, they can't do that. Damage to the ship should take a long time to repair. They should be low on supplies for more than one episode at a time.

And if you don't have enough energy to replicate coffee you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY TO RUN THE HOLODECK.
You really think coffee for one person is more important than an entertainment/stress relief source for the entire crew? We all come home from work, school or wherever and turn on the TV. Why, because it relieves stress. It's a way to escape the hardships of out day to day lives. Having a holodeck/Tv does more for the masses than a cup of coffee.

As far as ship damage.
What is the point of futuristic sci-fi technology like Replicators or Transporters if they're not going to make life easier? Why should it take weeks to repair a ship if a replicator can make it and a transporter can transport it in 5 mins? You're cutting down manual labor by half than 50%. They use a beams of light to weld things together. There is barely any effort in repairing or replacing things in Trek. It takes 2 or 3 hours to replace something as simple as a fuel pump in a modern car, yet we've seen B'Elanna, O'Brian & Geordi all be able to completely repair the entire warp core in about 5. In our time, that would take years.

They implied that shit in a replicator can be turned into a pair of boots. a watch makes a plate of food. Beam up a tree from a planet and you've got spaghetti and meatballs for a month.

Besides, the Enterprise has over a thousand people living on it, Voyage is about 150. How much harder and more resources would you need to feed everyone on the Enterprise and any guests, compared to Voyager who is only feeding the amount of people equal to backyard BBQ.

Why have the most advance ship and all this futuristic tech if you still have to worry if you can afford to eat tomorrow?

Last edited by exodus; December 7 2012 at 04:10 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 04:57 AM   #40
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Enterprise could also dock, recharge, repair, and restock between episodes. It's okay if 20 crew members die in an attack and the ship has the same number of people in the next episode, because they stopped at a starbase and got new crew in the meantime.

Voyager had a lot of good episodes and a good cast but it sure didn't commit to the premise of being stranded alone.

In TNG Trills were also more like the gu'ald, completely taking over the host's personality. The hosts were also portrayed as willing slaves, cattle to be possessed by the symbiant, which Beverly oddly had no kind of problem with. They were also less ****able, not worth wasting Terry Farrell on, with those ugly foreheads.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 05:06 AM   #41
teacake
Admiral

If Voyager looks like shit they will be targets. I would think cosmetic damage repair on the outside would be very important so they aren't sending the message they are vulnerable. As to the inside, morale would be a reason to keep it in good shape.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 7 2012, 11:06 AM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

Whilst those are valid points, there is no reason why you couldn't show two crew members working in the background repairing a damaged section of coridoor whilst our principals walk past.

Or over the course of 2-3 episodes the exterior damage being repaired.

and even with replicators, you might need an industrial sized replicator to replicate large sections of hull plating and DSN inferred that these weren't easy to get a hold off.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 11:07 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

I agree, a throwaway line would have gone a long way.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 7 2012, 12:11 PM   #44
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I read somewhere that they did consider serialized arcs, but Paramount was preferring (more likely demanding) episodic format. The reason was in syndication, stations would have to show the arcs/serials in a specific order. With episodic, they could air in any order they pleased.
Old December 7 2012, 06:04 PM   #45
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
that's absurd. VOY had far more continuing storylines(B'elanna-Tom, Neelix' jealousy about Kes, Holodoc's growing self-awareness, Seska and the Kazon, Seven of Nine's emerging humanity, the Borg children, etc.) than TOS or TNG ever had. VOY relied LESS on the rest button than those shows, but it still did it pretty often. Again, it just gets more attention for it because it was a nineties sci-fi show, where serialized storylines(B5, X-Files, etc.) were more the norm.
I can't help but notice how you avoid DS9 completely in your rebuttal. Seven's "growing humanity" is effectively what the show became about in the later seasons. The rest of the crew (other than Janeway) were little better than window dressing. But, none of those are reset buttons.

The ship was always magically repaired by the beginning of the next episode no matter how dramatic the damage or the fact that they were thousands of lightyears from the nearest resupply or repair base. I'll grant you TOS, but then its not really fair either way to compare a show filmed in the 90 to one filmed in the 60s.

exodus wrote: View Post
Because they could.
TNG nor DS9 could use the reset because it would have effected events in both shows. Voyager can use the reset as much as it wants because the events in which are reset doesn't effect any other timeline but their own.
You and sonak must be arguing about two separate types of reset buttons because sonak just got done say that VOY relied much less than TOS and TNG and those arguments can't both be true. Otherwise we should be clear about what we're arguing about.

Seriously, folks get upset over Voyager using the reset, complain about lack of continuity and yet Troi has been mind raped, abducted, stripped naked to be sold into human trafficking and one week later she's back flirting with Riker and eating chocolate as if nothing happened.
I've seen every episode of TNG and I competely missed her being 'sold into human trafficking'. Yes, she flirts with the head of the "Masterpiece Society" the episode after getting mind raped in "Violations", but I'd hardly call how she deals with it as a psychological professional a reset button. Getting abducted and stripped naked along with with her mother briefly in front of a few Ferengi is hardly going to have her holding herself and crying in the sonic shower in "Transfiguations". One time she was abducted by Romulans and lived aboard a Warbird for several days ("The Face of the Enemy") and afterward she was treated as an expert on Romulan behavior with advanced knowledge of the layout of Romulan ships ("Timescape").

Anybody forget about Geordi's mom? Yeah, so did he.
How often would you bring up a dead parent in a conversation having nothing to do with it? Would the following episode ("The Gambit p1") have been improved upon by having a scene of Geordi moping around his quarters or crying on Data's shoulder before being called on-duty because of the possible death of his captain?

Worf's white human brother? Never heard of him before or after his introduction.
Actually, Worf mentions his how his brother didn't care for the stringent rules of Starfleet and dropped out after one year in "Heart of Glory". He went on to mention him a few times in DS9. ("Change of Heart")

DS9- How come the Letheian that read Dr. Bashir's mind knew ALL his secrets, personality traits and his fears...............except the biggest one, he was lying and hiding his genetic altering?
Good point, I agree with you on this one.

Jadzia Dax used the transporter all the time, to spite us being told in TNG that Trills can't use Transporters.
The only thing Dax had in common with the only known Trill (Odan) to have that issue was the name of the species. Other than that they bore no resemblance to one another. Who is to say that he wasn't a member of a sub-species with a transporter issue.

None of the shows were good with continuity.
Not to mention a bit more obvious.

My main issue is the lack of continuity where previously set Starfleet technology is. Voyager takes crippling amounts of damage at least once a season on average but rarely requires a repair base of any kind.

There's the photon torpedo count which I won't go into detail about here in lieu of all the threads devoted to it.

I think those are larger issues than how much more quickly trained professionals bounce back from traumatic experiences in the 24th century versus people who watch a TV show in the 21st.

Last edited by Satyrquaze; December 7 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote