Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 7 2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: TNG episodes that would've been interesting to see on TOS

Melakon wrote: View Post
Retrofitting an episode from a 80s-90s ensemble series of 9 players into a 60s show with 2-3 leads and lower billed supporting cast means major story revisions.
How so? There were very few episodes of TNG in which each character played a vital part. In most of the Riker-centric episodes, for example, you wouldn't need someone with a Visor.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 04:36 PM   #32
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
How so? There were very few episodes of TNG in which each character played a vital part. In most of the Riker-centric episodes, for example, you wouldn't need someone with a Visor.
But with TOS and methods of its day, the focus has to be on Kirk, Spock, or maybe McCoy, because they get the biggest paycheck. Then you divide more lines between Scott, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov, and maybe a Rand or Chapel, and one dialogue extra. And you're recutting from 5 acts to 4. Also, longer running time so you need more scenes.
Old December 7 2012, 04:53 PM   #33
anh165
Commander

I would think 'Q who/Best of Both Worlds' would just be one episode affair I think. Kirk/Spock would outwit and nullify the whatever the 'borg' would be in TOS and we would hear no more from it.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 02:16 AM   #34
Tiberius
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
But with TOS and methods of its day, the focus has to be on Kirk, Spock, or maybe McCoy, because they get the biggest paycheck.
So? There were plenty of episodes that could be fit into that. The Inner Light would work with Kirk, and maybe even Spock, as they both live lives that allow them to experience the huge difference between what they know and what they experience.

Then you divide more lines between Scott, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov, and maybe a Rand or Chapel, and one dialogue extra.
So? Like I said, very few episodes feature ALL the cast in equally important roles.

And you're recutting from 5 acts to 4. Also, longer running time so you need more scenes.
Again, this wouldn't be much of a problem. After all, I'm not proposing that the script remains exactly the same, just changing "Picard" to "Kirk".
Old December 8 2012, 02:40 AM   #35
Melakon
Vice Admiral

My use of the term "major" regarding story revisions was perhaps too strong. My thoughts were about adapting Chain of Command into two unrelated episodes using factors common to 60s television programs. I did not refer to Inner Light or any other episode. I'm not interested in nitpicking my post to death.
Old December 8 2012, 06:15 PM   #36
Anwar
Vice Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
I would think 'Q who/Best of Both Worlds' would just be one episode affair I think. Kirk/Spock would outwit and nullify the whatever the 'borg' would be in TOS and we would hear no more from it.
TOS' version of BOBW would be more or less the same, with Spock using a mind-meld to access Kirkcutus instead of Data interfacing with him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 08:29 AM   #37
Tiberius
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
TOS' version of BOBW would be more or less the same, with Spock using a mind-meld to access Kirkcutus instead of Data interfacing with him.
That would be so cool. Kirk and Spock saying, "Resistance... is... futile" together...
Old December 9 2012, 09:54 AM   #38
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I did a poorly animated variation of the Kirk vs. Borg theme around 2004. Didn't have the nerve to put it online until later. It was assembled using voice clips from the old Star Trek Sound and Vision site and some soundtrack cd's.

Old December 10 2012, 08:55 PM   #39
Garrovick
Commander

t_smitts wrote: View Post
One wonders if they could've done a show like Cause and Effect. You just know the Enterprise blowing up in the teaser would've shocked the hell out of a 60's audience. I wonder what their idea of a Starfleet ship a century older than the Constitution class would look like. (Notice I was careful not to say a 22nd Century ship, since they never did peg down the century on the original series. I believe as late as the writer's bible for the Star Trek II series, they were being intentionally vague). Would've been neat if they could've gotten a well-known actor from some popular show on at the time to cameo as the captain of the other ship, as Kelsey Grammer did.
Final scene of the episode...

SPOCK: We have successfully avoided collision with the other vessel, Captain.

KIRK: Well done. Identification on the other ship?

SPOCK: It appears to be a Federation vessel, Captain, but that design has not been used in some time. I shall attempt to gather further data with the sensors.... Fascinating! The vessel reads as an old-type scout vessel of the Sherwood class. Judging from the vessel's markings, it appears to be the U.S.S. Minnow - listed in Starfleet records as missing in action for 78 years, 4 months, and 2 days.

KIRK: Uhura, open hailing frequencies!

UHURA: Hailing frequencies open, sir.

KIRK: This is Captain James T. Kirk of the Federation Starship Enterprise - please identify yourselves!

The screen lights up and we see an image of the other ship's bridge with her familiar-looking captain and first officer in view...

CAPTAIN: Hello, Enterprise - This is Captain Jonas Grumby of the U.S.S. Minnow, and this is my first officer, Commander William Gilligan. We have just been through an extremely violent temporal storm of some kind - if not for the courage of our fearless crew, we would surely have been lost. We have a hull breach and need immediate assistance. Do you read, Enterprise?
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote