Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 6 2012, 08:46 PM   #1486
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Moments earlier:

Wow! My first day piloting the Enterprise! Oh boy, I can't wait!

:He walks onto the bridge and sees the entire senior staff there and the ship is in an unusual and dangerous situation:

.... Fuck!
I really felt sorry for that poor bastard!
"I'll show everyone, I'll do way better than that kid that's usually here!"

{sad trombone}
Old December 6 2012, 08:53 PM   #1487
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

How many Starfleet officers have been killed while sitting at the helm or Data's seat?

Haskell died. One dude was mauled to death in Genesis. A lady died because of an exploding console in Disaster. Any others?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 09:34 PM   #1488
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
How many Starfleet officers have been killed while sitting at the helm or Data's seat?

Haskell died. One dude was mauled to death in Genesis. A lady died because of an exploding console in Disaster. Any others?
At least, sickbay was able to thaw poor Ensign Torres.
Old December 6 2012, 11:01 PM   #1489
senten
Ensign

Spotted another VFX error in episode 7, "Unnatural Selection".

http://i.imgur.com/Aw2IV.jpg

See the top right of the ship where the planet doesn't fill out to the edge of the frame.

There's a very distracting switch between grainy scenes and lack of grain. Especially in episode 6, "The Schizoid Man", where Data/Graves is sitting at the helm with the viewscreen behind him and he's accusing Picard. Very smoothed out.

Apart from these shots, everything else looks great, maybe even better than S1.
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 12:02 AM   #1490
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

There's a few times it seems like the glow of the blue/chroma-key screen "wash"/reflection isn't properly corrected. Like you can still see some of the blue-glow on the sets and actors.
Old December 7 2012, 12:43 AM   #1491
Borjis
Commodore

agreed, there are blue spill errors in some of these.

Sometimes on the set pieces/actors and some on the viewscreen edges.

one visual artifact I'm pleased to NOT be seeing at all so far on season 2 which was in a few season 1 shows was the "flickering" in some areas of a scene. I sometimes do 8 and 16mm film transfers with professional equipment at work and it would seem the telecine light source was out of sync with the imaging sensor in a few places. Just slightly enough to be a problem. It wasn't the ones that were in light sources, I saw them in dark areas too but not the entire frame. Very similar to the effect you see on a multi-format pro crt monitor when it goes into 48hz mode for 24 frame video editing.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:28 AM   #1492
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

I know what you mean. Brightness is pulsing in those scenes..from a little brighter to a little darker. I noticed that on one Picard close-up, but don't remember the episode.
Just a very few seconds, and once the angle changed to another actor and then back to Picard, it has vanished.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:55 AM   #1493
dg1379
Commander

Well, my patience has been rewarded. I checked my local bestbuy today and they had 5 copies that had been delivered this morning. Slowly but surely, the stores are getting them. Already popped in disc 1 and the menu is a big improvement over season 1. First shot of the Enterprise in The Child is stunning!
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 02:17 AM   #1494
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

senten wrote: View Post
Spotted another VFX error in episode 7, "Unnatural Selection".

http://i.imgur.com/Aw2IV.jpg

See the top right of the ship where the planet doesn't fill out to the edge of the frame.

There's a very distracting switch between grainy scenes and lack of grain. Especially in episode 6, "The Schizoid Man", where Data/Graves is sitting at the helm with the viewscreen behind him and he's accusing Picard. Very smoothed out.

Apart from these shots, everything else looks great, maybe even better than S1.
See if your TV has overscan protection turned off. I turn mine off to get the whole picture, but some shots may show things outside of the "safe area" of the intended viewing area. If watching on a computer, well, you may just have to overlook this slight discrepency!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 02:19 AM   #1495
Borjis
Commodore

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
I know what you mean. Brightness is pulsing in those scenes..from a little brighter to a little darker. I noticed that on one Picard close-up, but don't remember the episode.
Just a very few seconds, and once the angle changed to another actor and then back to Picard, it has vanished.

That's precisely it.
It is possible it was caused by not letting the film scanner "warm up" for 10 minutes.
Though as expensive as they are should not really need that.
If the drive motor was just an nth slow or fast feeding the film, that can happen. I've had
that happen with a telecine projector motor that had worn bearings.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 02:19 AM   #1496
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

dg1379 wrote: View Post
Well, my patience has been rewarded. I checked my local bestbuy today and they had 5 copies that had been delivered this morning. Slowly but surely, the stores are getting them. Already popped in disc 1 and the menu is a big improvement over season 1. First shot of the Enterprise in The Child is stunning!
I gave up on Best Buy, and ordered Amazon. Should be in my hands the 12th, which is better than not at all! I posted on Best Buy forums, asking if they knew what was up, but no reply. I'll chalk it up to distribution issues, but so far, these season releases haven't been batting a thousand in regards to screw ups, regardless of where the fault lies!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 02:50 AM   #1497
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Hybrid Extended Edition of MoaM is a pretty interesting watch.
Old December 7 2012, 03:07 AM   #1498
dg1379
Commander

While watching Where Silence has Lease, during the battle with the Romulan ship, I noticed that on the helm and ops stations the lower screens (for lack of a better word) also flash red during a red alert. Never noticed it before. It is faint, but you can see it.
Old December 7 2012, 03:45 AM   #1499
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Tommunist wrote: View Post
dg1379 wrote: View Post
I gave up on Best Buy, and ordered Amazon. Should be in my hands the 12th, which is better than not at all! I posted on Best Buy forums, asking if they knew what was up, but no reply. I'll chalk it up to distribution issues, but so far, these season releases haven't been batting a thousand in regards to screw ups, regardless of where the fault lies!
And yup, it's in stock now at my Best Buy stores. Two days late.

I went and ordered it off their website; it shipped today. Now I just have to deal with catching a UPS delivery, which sucks.

Hey, BBuy, if you're gonna put something in your ad, have it available when you say it will be available!
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 04:05 AM   #1500
dg1379
Commander

Well...im also still waiting for my season 1 replacement discs. Been talking with them for a while. Have to wait a few more days before I call again and say they have yet to show up. Great service. Better off just buying the season over again at this point. But whatever. I have season 2 to enjoy!