Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 7 2012, 12:26 AM   #106
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Princess Kate (aka the Duchess of Cambridge) is Pregnant!

While we're being pedantic... The Royal Family's official website goes into much detail about styles, titles and names. I thought this tidbit was particularly interesting:
For the most part, members of the Royal Family who are entitled to the style and dignity of HRH Prince or Princess do not need a surname, but if at any time any of them do need a surname (such as upon marriage), that surname is Mountbatten-Windsor.
Not sure why I've gotten so interested in this. I must be watching too much Downton Abbey!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 12:42 AM   #107
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ IIRC, William and Harry are using the last name 'Wales' for their military careers. I guess there's a reason for that, but it escapes me. Maybe because it's shortest of all the possible names they could be using?
Old December 7 2012, 01:00 AM   #108
tighr
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ IIRC, William and Harry are using the last name 'Wales' for their military careers. I guess there's a reason for that, but it escapes me. Maybe because it's shortest of all the possible names they could be using?
While they were in the military (and prior to William receiving his Duchy), They follow the practice of taking a subsidiary title of their father. In youth, their names were Prince William of Wales and Prince Henry of Wales. It was simpler to remove the "of" and simply go by William Wales and Harry Wales.

This all actually kinda goes hand in hand with that thread in the Trek General forum about aliens with one vs two names... Royalty and Peerage is one of those situations on Earth where individuals don't follow conventional naming guidelines. I would think it would be weird to not have a last name.
Old December 7 2012, 01:11 AM   #109
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ That, and maybe to be as low-keyed as possible about who they are, since as far as the military is concerned, they're only lieutenants?

Oops, that was to MLB.
Old December 7 2012, 01:14 AM   #110
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
While they were in the military (and prior to William receiving his Duchy), They follow the practice of taking a subsidiary title of their father. In youth, their names were Prince William of Wales and Prince Henry of Wales. It was simpler to remove the "of" and simply go by William Wales and Harry Wales.

This all actually kinda goes hand in hand with that thread in the Trek General forum about aliens with one vs two names... Royalty and Peerage is one of those situations on Earth where individuals don't follow conventional naming guidelines. I would think it would be weird to not have a last name.
Except they do have a last name. They just don't use it much. (See quote and link in message #106.)
Old December 7 2012, 02:06 AM   #111
tighr
Commodore

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Except they do have a last name. They just don't use it much. (See quote and link in message #106.)
While that's true (and I think Mountbatten-Windsor is a super cool name), none of the royals seem to use that in public usage. As mentioned, Harry and William used Wales, and their cousins Beatrice and Eugenie use "York" as a last name at school. I think Charles and Andrew used Windsor when they were in school, or at least I remember reading that somewhere.

"Mountbatten-Windsor" is a really weird concept. It's not really their legal name (like on passports and stuff), but they can use it if they need to. I don't pretend to know how they use it or would use it in day to day life, but as far as their legal name is concerned, that's not part of it.
Old December 7 2012, 03:00 AM   #112
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

sorry to interupt, but she's been released from the hospital

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view...aves-hospital/
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 03:17 AM   #113
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
While that's true (and I think Mountbatten-Windsor is a super cool name), none of the royals seem to use that in public usage. As mentioned, Harry and William used Wales, and their cousins Beatrice and Eugenie use "York" as a last name at school. I think Charles and Andrew used Windsor when they were in school, or at least I remember reading that somewhere.

"Mountbatten-Windsor" is a really weird concept. It's not really their legal name (like on passports and stuff), but they can use it if they need to. I don't pretend to know how they use it or would use it in day to day life, but as far as their legal name is concerned, that's not part of it.
It must be their legal name. The website said one occasion for its use is "upon marriage". The first time the name appeared on an official document was the marriage register when Princess Anne got married in 1973. Can't get more legal than that.

And, yes, Mountbatten-Windsor is very cool.
Old December 7 2012, 04:03 AM   #114
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I wonder, are any of the royals Trekkies? Somebody could ask them what their last name is and they might say "You couldn't pronounce it."
Old December 7 2012, 05:51 AM   #115
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^Well, I posted somewhere here that one of the Queen's dogs is named Vulcan (seriously!), so...
Old December 7 2012, 08:40 AM   #116
Candlelight
Admiral

CoveSanta wrote: View Post
Carols by Candlelight wrote: View Post
Congrats to them. Interesting that I'm hearing they are 8 weeks pregnant and 8 weeks ago they were in the Solomons.

Well I was in the Solomons 8 weeks ago...
They are not pregnant. She is pregnant. I absolutely hate that "we are pregnant" or "they are pregnant" cutesy terminology.

No offense, just taking the opportunity of your comment to vent on a pet peeve...
Ha, I didn't even realise I'd typed that.
Old December 7 2012, 08:44 AM   #117
Candlelight
Admiral

Speaking of the whole rumoured twins thing, I caught the tail end of Entertainment Tonight which was leading into the midday news bulletin and they had a whole heap of celebrity twins (like ashton kutcher, keifer sutherland, a few others).

I didn't catch the start of the segment but I guess it was based on this...
Old December 7 2012, 05:08 PM   #118
lurok
Commodore

The woman who put the Australian prank call through committed suicide today. Kate and William have sent condolences.
Old December 7 2012, 05:12 PM   #119
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

How do you know she committed suicide? Are you clairvoyant? Can you contact the dead?
Old December 7 2012, 05:25 PM   #120
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Deckerd wrote: View Post
How do you know she committed suicide? Are you clairvoyant? Can you contact the dead?
Several sites have reported it as "an apparent suicide" or a "suspected suicide".

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...arent-suicide/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ionist-1478123

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-suicide.html

No one knows for sure yet though, at least by what's been released officially.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote